• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
:iamwithst :duh: :eek:

What's the best way to minimize the noise from a drainpipe? Searching around I see many different designs for a Durso Drainpipe, :banghead: . Could someone suggest one that works and is quite?

zahner

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
my $0.02:

my plumbing was noisy despite having a durso with an airline valve for fine adjustment, submerging the end of the drain line various depths in the sump, and putting insulation on the plumbing to deaden the sound.

what ultimately worked for me was putting a ball valve on the end of the drain (in combination with all of the above) and closing it slightly to balance the flow.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I made some standard durso's

they work for me.

I have two 1.5" drains, so maybe they are more quiet than one drain?
they share the load so to speak.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I use a "reverse durso" on my drain.

Make your regular durso in your tank, then in your sump make the outlet of an ASM or Euroreef skimmer! My drain goes down into my sump, Two 90 degree elbows, 6 inches of pipe and then a foam tube over that pipe. I find this to be VERY quiet and no bubbles! You can also try less water through the drain or drilling many holes in the pipe covered by the foam.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
the higher the flow rate the harder it is to make it quiet. for some using a durso n stockman is enough. if not controling the water level by air valve, ball valve is needed. the higher the water level in the overflow, the less noise. the noise in the sump have many tricks to quiet it also.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
THANKS for the responses! :D
Where exactly is it noisy? at the tank, at the sump, or at the return?

A durso worked for me, as well as using a filter sock in the sump.

B
Brett, I haven't plumbed the system yet, I am ordering the parts from savko and am planning ahead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: