dreko

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hey guys,

Just curious about any reviews that might come in today....

1. What were your thoughts on the exotic livestocks? (coral and fish)
2. How were the vendors pricing? (Above average, average, below average)
3. Did you feel it was comparable with online pricing + shipping?
4. Any amazing sights or experiences you want to share?

I'm thinking of trying to get out there on Sunday, for possible rare finds. (Trimma Tevegae, Codium Lucasii macro algae, etc)

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
Between me and the four guys I went with had the same opinion. The prices were insane
and not in good way.
I'm happy I went because I made some good trades but overall not a good experience.
For example nice Orange hammer probably $150-200 dollar pc and I got hit with $900

A nice acanthophillia maybe $350 normally.
Reefapalooza price $1100.

But of course everyone has there own opinion.

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Was there today, prices were not great but didn't run into anything that high. That's rough. MR swap was just as good and probably better prices and more dry goods. I've done better at live sales on pricing but did pick up some nice pieces.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Same thought here.

I picked a bunch of really big acro's. Tad over priced as I compared to online, but would've been same with shipping. So it was nice to pick them.

Speakers were good, as were a few of the old trimmers walking around that are approachable.

No fish selection at all in my opinion, unless you like clowns.

Saw a few new products, nothing I would buy asap. (Maybe the new kessil), Nothing to blow my mind but did my wallet.

In reality we have MR here, like our market place or not, it's still the best, with a ton of knowledgeable people in the area / forum.

poncen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.3%
108   3   0
Prices were steep, but as the day wore on there were some deals to be found with negotiating tact. Overall I enjoyed the experience of being in the very first ReefAPaloozaNY. I'm sure the prices will drop on Day 2, but so will the selection.

dreko

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great feedback. I figured the vendors coming from afar might have to keep prices on the high end to recoup travel expenses, booth costs, uncertainty of sales/attendance, etc

I also suspect deals tomorrow, bringing some prices back just below normal prices.

rjl09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with everyone else regarding prices. They had some deals but I did see a lot of corals that we usually see at our local fish spots so it didn't really catch my attention. But I did win some salt in a raffle. So overalI I enjoyed the experience

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got back from Reef Palooza. First the location was good. Parking was free and didn't have trouble parking. I bought my ticket online. Very easy to to get in and JBJ was there giving out a goodie bag. I was coming from Westchester. First impression was good.
Ok, as for the vendors very friendly and offerings a lot of advice on what they brought to they table. Got a few sample of food and lots of catalogs. Some very good. Some tank makers where also there. I did buy one SPS coral from DrJimElegantcoral. Which I thought had the best SPS selection. Very colorful and healthily. Price was good. Highly recommend him. For the rest I didn't see much of SPS as DrJim had. I even heard one guy say he's losing a lot of his SPS because took him 2 days to get here.
Nice seeing the guys from Tanked they taking pictures and signing autographs. I talk to Jake Adams who was very nice. Julian Sprung's was there and should be releasing his new salt soon. Kessil was they since I'm a big fan of theirs. Very nice talking to them. I bought some frozen food that doesn't freeze. V20 is a must to buy food. I think they were the only one selling frozen food. All I can say buy and try they food. For $5 I wish I bought more. My fish went nuts. Excellent food.
To sum it up. Had a good time but it was more of information of products that was not for sale. So you can tell your LFS to carry they product. I told them that the only problem was they not many LFS near me. I said I still have to order dry goods because the LFS can't carry every product. I think this hobby needs more LFS or the big outlet store need to start carrying better products so we can buy these products. Reef Palooza was good and I would recommend it. Especially if you like the hobby.

Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Had a great time. Location was great. Coral selection was good. Prices were a lil steep but there was deals. The product vendors were very informative. Got a bunch of freebies from product vendors.
Raffles were good. Me and buddies won a bunch of things including sumps,salt,majano wand, Radion G3 pro (lucky dog) and a bunch of other seachem chemicals and seachem fragging kit.
The best was at the end Apex busted out the margarita mix and tequila and placed in the DoS containers and had the apex dosing shots. Lol

Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
That's awesome!
Hahahaha

It will all go to good use...extremely please with reefapalooza,all the vendors and the great friends I met up with there(even if it was 3:50 when I arrived)all and all there where some awesome corals for sale ...some overpriced,some average...but if your looking for something unique your going to pay the price..I'm pleased with the stuff I bought...and even more please with the stuff I won!

bongman420

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i bought a rainbow bubble tip anemone and thought they handed it to my girlfriend and when we got home we never got it in our bag :banghead: guess i lost out on it sucks but i enjoyed looking at everything

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: