• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Just found out there's an accident in my tank today.

Jhale's mushroom fell on top of my frogspawn-the mouth of the mushroom directly on top of the frogspawn; melting 3 to 4 heads of the frogspawn!!! His mushroom does not look good either, the mouth portion seriously burnt and the area around it is not looking good and spills out some white spiral thingie. I did not know how long this has happened since I am in the middle of moving wholeday.

No mood to put up any pic yet. I just hope Jhale has a small frag in case the one in my tank cannot make it-it looks very stressed.

Attachments

• Mushroom after the chemical warfare P1010668 copy.jpg
    Mushroom after the chemical warfare P1010668 copy.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
that sux - i had a baby mushroom head once detach itself and float around the tank... it fell on my brain coral and nearly killed it overnight!!! shrooms are toxic!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
that sux - i had a baby mushroom head once detach itself and float around the tank... it fell on my brain coral and nearly killed it overnight!!! shrooms are toxic!

Amount all fours heads of the frogspawn that are affected-one of them is completely melted, 2 is (the most) half the size of before and the last one not sure because not all polyps are opened.

The mushroom seems less stressed now but has not fully extend itself.

Last edited:

ReeferGoneMad

I Smoke Live Rocks
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
is there any white or brown stuff forming. if there is try to take it off and dispose of it. turn the current off b4 though. ive had this happen and if that stuff gets on anything else it will melt.

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
that spiral thing(white) will go back into its mouth i noticed that when i cut up the shrooms, they do that.ive never seened it float away though it can be possible.

Spracklcat

Vendor
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The white spiral thingy is just the innards of the mushroom--you will see that when you cut them or when they are really, really unhappy and essentially spew their guts out the mouth (like anemones do).

I had a frogspawn head fall on my monti capricornis AND a Sarcophyton and burned both badly--I only managed to save the Sarcophyton because I saw it happen (and it is fast) and was able to frag the good tissue off of the burned area.

Good luck :(

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
The white spiral thingy is just the innards of the mushroom--you will see that when you cut them or when they are really, really unhappy and essentially spew their guts out the mouth (like anemones do).

I had a frogspawn head fall on my monti capricornis AND a Sarcophyton and burned both badly--I only managed to save the Sarcophyton because I saw it happen (and it is fast) and was able to frag the good tissue off of the burned area.

Good luck :(

I was thinking of surgery as well but do not have the final courage to do it to the mushroom. The mushroom is doing so so right now, hope the posion did not get to the good tissue.

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Wingo,

Just leave the mushroom alone. I don't believe any cutting you do will help it more than just leaving it alone to recuperate.

E

Spracklcat

Vendor
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Mmm, I agree. Unless the mushroom is huge, I'd leave it. The leather coral can feel without a mouth, os fraggin it any which way usually works. A mushroom, especially a smaller one, you'd want to have at least half of it un-diseased, and if it is ejecting its guts, fragging it isn't going to help anyway.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: