• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'll follow this post because I realized the other day that my pc ballast states it can handle T5 bulbs. Good post.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
which ballast you have ,make and model ## and what size t5 lamps you plan to use

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES53530

I think is PFO

I've this light It has 4x ballast for 4x 96w pc. I want to convert to 4x 39wT5(8 if possible) the ballast has 4 wires 2 solid black 2 black & white to the pins
I've tried with the 39w with different combination wire(with 1 ballast) but it wrong light up the whole bulb(only both end)

btw: I can only go online at work:shhh: may be some member can help with picture if you need

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
the only ballast i find to operate 4 lamps are for 35 watt t5,
if you want to use 8 t5 39watt lamps your going to use 4 ballast each will operate 2 t5 39watt lamps

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
So do you mean you want to use existing PC ballast(for 4 pins PC bulbs) to power up 39W T5 and since you have 4 x ballasts, you would like to power up 8 x 39W T5?

Short answer:
From you you said, the ballast is not suitable for your application

Long answer:
Assuming you wired like diagram below.
I don't believe T5 has a filament(correct me if someone knows otherwise) in the tube for preheating therefore, the 4 pin PC ballast's initial firing sequence has no use for that. Nevertheless, it could have jumped the arc and started the bulb but only good enough for the ends. If you can light up only the ends but not the whole tube initially, it will after some time(kind of like some old flourescent bulbs that will light up couple hours after you switch it on). However, this could take very very long or even never materialize due to wrong frequency of the ballast.
In your case, it looks like the AC is flowing through the capacitor instead of the bulb.

Attachments

• Flourescent Bulb and Ballast arc0.jpg
    Flourescent Bulb and Ballast arc0.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: