• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
B. Fishy here -- oooooohwwah! Anywhay, want suggestions re a very conservative convergence. If not, then I wonder about sincerity. Bravo.
-J

Drunk posting here....that will teach me to leave my computer open:)

Salesbig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well lets see.
Ronen gets me everything Wholesale..
so.....
honey..:kiss: its all wholesale.. like about $100 for everything. big mark up in this business

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I started to add it up in my head and started to feel ill. And that was just for equipment actually being used in my little 65 gallon. I hadn't even thought about live stock, upgrades and upkeep cost.... electricty, additatives, food, salt..

MightyMike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be curious to see an addition to this thread indicating how much of your investment went toward new equip as opposed to used equip ... not that it will change the $ of the total investment, but still ... maybe ease some folks' headaches

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
No, I am just a sucker
girl (18).gif

Besides, that includes all salt, food, etc...I think you guys have all spent a lot more than you think you have!

dont feel bad it happend to me as well. remember me from jhales? LOL

my answer to the thread is. how much is to much. the more you spend the more you are a sucker? so i cant honestly mention it because my wife will explode.

so how does $500 sound? LOL

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
thank you all, after reading some of the responses posted so far, I feel alot better for having spent almost 11k on just the tank, lights and skimmer...now on to the rest of the equipment :fish:

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
1: Give your wives more credit. They aren't that stupid.
2: Grab your ba11s and tell them what you spent... beats spending all of that money on booze and whores. (that's the excuse I use). People have hobbies. Not too many hobbies are cheap (unless you plan to take up knitting). Think of what you would have spent if you fixed up old cars or got into those remote airplanes/cars. I know guys who've spent more on remote control cars than I spent on the car that takes me to work.
3: I've been in the hobby for a while and after a long break, I made some very lousy purchases and also listened to some people I shouldn't have and wasted more money because of that. If I were to combine everything together just over the last 7 years, I'd say I'm in the high $20K range. I'm also including electricity and on-going costs like salt/supplements/food. At least half is in bad purchases.
This is another question which has been asked a million times, but those new to the hobby should take note. I've made my best purchases off of advice and feedback on this site... just avoid the bandwagons. Being a member here can save you a lot of money. If you are planning to buy something, post here first and you will find at least 20 members with first hand experience with what you plan to buy.

Last edited:

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
eh, depends which ones... :lol:
2: Grab your ba11s and tell them what you spent
yeah, and that will be the last time i'd get to see my ba11s :lol2:
beats spending all of that money on booze and whores. .
i'm sure there are people that would much rather spend it on whores than fish... but my logic is that those of us with nice reefs tend to attract the better wives and as such dont need whores, as least that's how i rationalize it. but the truth is, i agree with that, i always say, there are people that go gambling every week and blow there money and have nothing to show for it, at least we are creating a living work of art, and we are doing it right at home WITH our wives (as opposed to always being out and they never see us). The other problem is that for many of us, this isnt our only hobby, so those RC cars might still be an expense (i dont do the cars, but i do have other things).
why we always have to rationalize things by comparing ourselves to gamblers, alcoholics, drug addicts, suggardaddys, is beyond me. my wife would rather me say "the money could have been wasted on buying fancy cars, yachts, condos, etc" but then again, she might not consider those things a 'waste' of money.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 99.4%
168   1   0
i just lie and say it cost this amount, usually half the amount or since she hasnt a clue or really care's i get it when she is at work and say hey honey look at that it must have came from one of the rocks or such. and so far this hobby is alot less expensive than my car restoring is or was.

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
2: Grab your ba11s and tell them what you spent... beats spending all of that money on booze and whores. (that's the excuse I use). People have hobbies. Not too many hobbies are cheap (unless you plan to take up knitting). Think of what you would have spent if you fixed up old cars or got into those remote airplanes/cars. I know guys who've spent more on remote control cars than I spent on the car that takes me to work.
3: I've been in the hobby for a while and after a long break, I made some very lousy purchases and also listened to some people I shouldn't have and wasted more money because of that. If I were to combine everything together just over the last 7 years, I'd say I'm in the high $20K range. I'm also including electricity and on-going costs like salt/supplements/food. At least half is in bad purchases.
This is another question which has been asked a million times, but those new to the hobby should take note. I've made my best purchases off of advice and feedback on this site... just avoid the bandwagons. Being a member here can save you a lot of money. If you are planning to buy something, post here first and you will find at least 20 members with first hand experience with what you plan to buy.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
how do u price sweat n tears?
good point. What's the time worth we put into it. I'm feeling tight on time, especially now with a kid. What about all the headaches, pests, leaks... long list. I'm willing to bet we are all understating what we've really put into the hobby.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: