rperrice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
About two weeks ago bought a couple of peppermint shrimp to deal with a aiptasia problem that was developing in my tank. They did a great job cleaning them out, however they are now starting to pick at my plate coral. The coral only opens for a brief period and then closes when the shrimp start bothering it. I'm afraid the coral will die soon if not allowed to open (I'm not sure how long they can stay closed and survive)

I believe the shrimp are well fed--I feed brine shrimp, cyclopese and flakes once to twice a day--but they still pick at the coral.

Is this normal pep behavior? Can I solve this or should I just get rid of the shrimp?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
enough said. i've heard a lot of people complain about pepps but i've never had a problem w/ them picking @ corals. (knock on wood)

are you sure the plate isn't on it's way out? they usually pick on dying or stressed coral.

jon-

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
If the peps don't stop bothering the coral. I would get rid of the coral. If you get rid of the peps the aptasias will return and then what.
Once you get good pepps that feed on the aptisias is good to hold on to them.
I had a good one that died on me now I have two that don't do there job at all.

Vic

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
If the peps don't stop bothering the coral. I would get rid of the coral. If you get rid of the peps the aptasias will return and then what.
Once you get good pepps that feed on the aptisias is good to hold on to them.
I had a good one that died on me now I have two that don't do there job at all.

Vic

Is this true?:bigeyes: You can never totally irradicate aptisias? If true, I'm in trouble. I made the mistake of introducing some of my girlfriend's lr into my tank thinking she had gotten rid of the aptisia.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

rperrice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The plate coral was healthy and looked good prior to the shrimp picking at it and it still has a nice color to it even when closed. I'll try moving it up on the rocks, although I was told when I bought it that it should be kept in the sand.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Interesting advice given :scratch:

Wingo, I've seen peppermint shrimp go anywhere in the tank to get to food. How would raising a plate coral (typically found on sandbeds in the wild) into the rockwork dissuade hungry peppermints? :confused:

Vic: If the peppermints are bothering one coral, what's to stop them from moving on to the next if the plate coral is removed?

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Dean,
I never had a pep damage any of my corals but you never know with these animals. Maybe he could move the coral and see if his pep still goes after it or maybe put the coral in the sump for a couple of days and keep an eye to see if it attacks any other corals.
If it moves on to feast on another coral then there's no choice but to get it out.

Vic

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Interesting advice given :scratch:

Wingo, I've seen peppermint shrimp go anywhere in the tank to get to food. How would raising a plate coral (typically found on sandbeds in the wild) into the rockwork dissuade hungry peppermints? :confused:

Vic: If the peppermints are bothering one coral, what's to stop them from moving on to the next if the plate coral is removed?

My suggestions are based on my several own observations over a year with couple tanks having similar environment.

1)The peps do come to grab food any where in tank at the beginning for a couple of months, then later on they will retreat to the more remote area properly fear of the bigger fish in the open water. Furthermore, whenever the tentacles of the bigger cleaners that frequent in the open water touch the peps, the latter retreat right away.

2)The peps seems not able to float in the mid water as good as the cleaners

3)Once the tank are well fed and the peps realize there are always food, they become lazier to come out to get food. That's why I think many people claim their shrimps will eat aptasia for a while then stop after coupel weeks. Probably, they think food floating right to their mouth is eaiser than fight for food. After they are used to the tank, the only time when they are very aggressive for food is when they are carrying eggs. I don't understand why since I think they don't have to feed the eggs(correct me if I am wrong about this point)

4)Even though plate is a sandy bottom coral, I found in CAPTIVE SYSTEM, there may be too much stuff such as snails, craps, hermits, and worms(I feel most captive system have much denser population of animals in the sand bed then the wild) going on in the sand bed where the back of the coral sit. My plates tend to open more in the flat surface of rock where they can still cover their own a$$(their bottom side). Depite that their skeleton is hard, overtime it will slowly warp it's structure over a somewhat flat rock surface covering all the gaps and holes so that flow cannot enter the bottom side of them when they swell up.

5)The thread says the pep is picking on it not really eating it. If the a pep decided that the plate is his dinner plate, I am sure the pep will take it down in one day because I found that plate could be very easy to have rtn(right term??) once it is wounded. When my peps eat the aptasia, you see them really tearing the hell out of the anemone.

6)Well I might be all wrong in this so I ask him to consider my suggestions instead of saying what I posted earlier as if they are advices.

>>>Keep us posted what happened-cumulative sightings will become knowledge.

rperrice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I moved the plate coral onto the rocks (a flat part) a couple of days ago, as far away from the peps as possible, and they seem to be ignoring it for now. It has suffered some damage, but I'm hoping it will come back.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: