myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Nathan! I am sure you are happy to finally have everything. Have you been as patient as you seem to have been? I would have gone crazy wanting it now now now. I hate waiting. Good luck...keep us posted on the progress.

Josh's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONGRADES. And I thought my tank was big. I also got a 36" stand but in the end decided to plumb into the basement.Did you think about that option? If you have one that is.I dont think people in florida have basements .
What pump do you plan on using as a return? Im using an iwaki 70.
Lets here about the plan.
icon_eek.gif

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!

Need I say more?!

(Is your stand going to be all open like that or are there side panels and doors?

Having it open might actually be kind of cool. Sort of like the iMac, transparent like.

-Nathan

Ninong

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, Nathan. I guess this means that we will have to start calling you Mr. 400 from now on.
icon_biggrin.gif

Keep us posted on the details.

Good luck,

Ninong

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us updated with details on the set-up. I have been considering buying a similarly sized tank from Inter-American and would love to here more about your experiences (Mitch has been quoting me round figures as well). Did mitch build the stand as well?

Mike

dredawg5000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my stand constructed out of 2" angle steel similar to yours for my 120 AGA. It took an amazing 40 feet of steel at a cost of only $54 for the steel (comes in 20ft lengths). Paid a certified (!) welder $150 to construct it, which included pickup and delivery of the material and completed stand primed and painted white with "rustolem' paint, for a total cost of $204. This thing weighs a ton, and could serve a foundation for a room addition!
icon_biggrin.gif

The stand is 36' tall and 48 1/2" x 24 1/2"
will support a 120 AGA. I plan constructing my own furinture grade cabinet and attaching it to the steel "superstructure"

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is finally here and in place!
icon_biggrin.gif

I had 10 guys helping including me and I don't think we could have done it with even one less guy. And we only lifted it all one time and only about 12"! (the rest of the time we slid it or lifted just one end at a time and placed block under it)
The pallet that had the stand, sump and tank weighed in at 1,880 lbs so I'm guessing the tank itself weighed in at over 1,300 lbs.

Oh well, I will post more later and I'm sure I will have several questions as I'm setting it up but I thought I would get a pic up for those who I've been telling I'm getting a new tank for several months now!

The tank is from inter-american pet suppy and is 415 gallons. The dimesions are 122"X28"X28". The stand is 2" box steel and is 36" tall. The sump is a 135 gallon - 72"X22"X20". I got the front edges machine polished and am very happy with the overall quality of the workmanship on the tank. It is regular 3/4" glass with a black mirrored back and dual overflows with 2" drains and 2 - 1.5" returns/intakes in each overflow. There is not a divider in the tank - just a reflection on the right overflow.

I paid $1,400 for the tank with all options and bulkheads provided. $500 for shipping brought the total to $1,900 plus I bought the stand for and extra $450 and the sump for $400 including shipping. Not sure how good of a deal I got on any of the stuff, Mitch always just quoted me nice round figures that sounded very good to me. He told me he probably estimated low on the sump as it has 6 partitions counting the baffles on the right and he acted like it ended up being a little more work than he had planned but still gave it to me for the agreed upon price.

Oh well, I'm sure I forgot a ton of information, but wanted to get a pic up to show it off.

Here is the pic: New tank pic

FWIW, Nathan

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy shmuk.....I wish I have a tank like that!! Guess its time for me to kiss up with my boss (to convince him to put a piece like that in the office................on his expense!!!)

canadawest

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's funny that the 135gal sump looks "small" sitting underneath that huge beautiful main tank.

I can't believe that my 100gal tank (60x18x20) tank is actually smaller than your SUMP!

Perception is a funny thing as I think my tank looks big, but your photo gives the perception that it's just a little 30gal tank.

Congrats on your new full time job!
icon_wink.gif

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments guys! I am still kind of in shock!
icon_wink.gif

When we got it set on the stand I felt like I had just successfully completed a 100 foot cliff jump or something. I even did some whooping and hollering!

Some more information on the setup. It will be a reef of course!
icon_wink.gif

Lighting will be 4 X 400W MH w/ Iwasaki's and 2-6' vho tubes and 3-5' vho tubes using an Icecap 430 ballast that I already have and a new Icecap 660 ballast. I might switch out to all 5' bulbs on my next bulb change.

I'm going to be running 2 - Ampmaster 3000's with 3-1" sea swirls and 5 other stationary 1" returns. One of the ampmasters will be on a recirculating loop and the other will run the return back to the tank.

I have a custom made dual beckett skimmer made by myreef and a custom calcium reactor as well. I will be running the skimmer with 2-Mag 12's and the reactor with a Mag 5.

I have 2 - 20 amp circuits on gfci's with a total of 24 available plugs on the wall behind the tank. I will run 1 Ampmaster and 1/2 the lighting on each ciruct so if one circuit trips the other will still provide lighting and water movement in the tank.

I plan on trying to have a lagoonal area with less flow and mostly LPS and Clams on the left in a horseshoe rock pattern with a groove in the middle and a crest on the right side of the tank with mostly sps on the right side with 5 of the 8 returns going to the right side of the tank.

Oh well. Again more things will come to me. I might start another thread next week when I start actually plumbing it. I have some sketches of the plumbing setup, etc. but nothing ever turns out the way you originally planned it!

P.S. - I just got off the phone with Mitch letting him know the tank arrived in great shape and that I was very pleased with it. Turns out he had underestimated the shipping wieght by around 600 lbs (I added a sump and stand for only $100 of additional shipping) and he ended up eating over $500 of shipping charges above the amount that he had quoted me. So prepaying the shipping worked very well for me and not so well for Mitch.

FWIW, Nathan

Here is another pic with my wife standing beside the tank for a size perspective. My wife is 5'4".

cathy_with_new_tank_7-9-01.jpg

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitch at Inter-American doesn't even own a computer that I am aware of. You have to call and fax information to get a quote. Their phone # is 403-273-2843 and the fax # is 403-248-0889. It is in Calgary, Alberta so you might check your calling rate to Canada before you have a 30 minute phone conversation.
FWIW, Nathan

eaglet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thats beautiful!!! and the tanks not bad either.
icon_biggrin.gif
J/K about the tank ha. Take care and good luck E-Man

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you lazy people who dont feel like clicking on the link here it is

new_tank_7-9-01.jpg

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy fish tanks bat man, thats a huge one. You could run PADI courses in your living room. Im planning a 400 gallon effort but thats including the sump. Hope it looks as good as yours. Now you just have to fill it. Drip, drip drip drip drip. you know i figured yesterday that with an RODI unit the total ammount of tap water needed to fill your system with RODI at a 99% rejection rate will work out to nearly 39600 gallons of water used. Thats a hell of a large swimming pool! I bet the water board will be pleased with that.
icon_eek.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: