A

Anonymous

naesco,
You have a very valid point there, and one that didn't dawn on me when I posted before. I lost one for no obvious reson before this. I had it for 5-6 weeks and it just up and died. My success rate is 50%.

toptank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried powder blue and powder brown to no avail, lost both to ich.

Have a yellow and purple tang and they are doing great
icon_smile.gif
In a 180

Barry

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: toptank ]</p>

murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Powder Blue not to long ago (4 months, give or take a month) and had a small outbreak of ich, however after a few days it cleared up and I have had no further problems. I did install a Aqua UV sterilizer and that may have helped. I only tried once and so far have had success. My tank is a 100 gallons with a MTC Calcium reactor, 1/3 HP chiller, Lifereef LF150 and a VS3-36 protein skimmer, 1 Amp-Master 3000 and 1 Amp-Master 3600, a few sea swirls ....etc..

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the updated tally. Again, I included only PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

Died: 12
Lived: 10

that is a 45% success rate.

Reasons for Deaths:
No reason given: 3
Ick: 4
Poisoned: 1
Left on runway:1
wounded by other fish: 1
Lateral Line:1
Flukes: 1

From the responses given, there is evidence that they have died in tanks ranging from 55G to 200G. The only successful experiences were in 90G+ tanks. Breakdown of successes by tank size (in gallons) :

90: 1
100: 3
120: 2
125: 1
135:1
180: 2

Breakdown Unsuccessful experiences by tank size (also in gallons) :

No size given: 2
55: 3
75: 1
90: 1
100: 1
125: 1
180: 2
200: 1

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 10 Powder Blue still living.

2 are living for 3 years
1 is living for one year
2 are living for less than 8 months
2 are living for less than 6 months
2 are living for less than 4 months
1 unknown

At this point there are 2 success stories with the sincere hope that all will survive.

ddavis4um

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a PBT that I really love. Great fish, great color, nice personality.

Got mine from PetWhse for $35, small when arrive and has since grown to eat'n size.

After reading other posts, here are my salient comments.

I do have a UV filter- probably has lead to an ick-free experience.
No other tanks or fish that can bother it.
Other fish include a couple of small angels and a blenny.

Good luck

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naesco: We all know that you are much more experienced at keeping tangs and therefore your opinion is more valid than those of us neophytes. The reason I said that six months would be considered successful is because most the fatalities listed happend in the first two months of ownership (if any time was given.) Obviously I have no experience keeping this tang; that is why I am conducting the poll.

If you don't have any more PERSONAL EXPERIENCE then stop trying to convince everyone that just because you were unable to keep this species that no one else has been able to. I am not sure why you are on the "Save the Acanthurus leucosternon" crusade.

I appreciate your input, but I am trying to gather a variety of experiences so that I (and others) can make a more informed decision about keeping this species. I think that most people on this board can come up with their own conclusions.

If it would make you feel better, I will change the term "successfull" to "Still alive" and will include the time factor in the summary.

Ernie

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ernie I am interested in this thread.
The time element is important. I am sorry for budding in and will not do it anymore.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pbt and emperor both died. I am not sure what the cause was, but I suspect there was some something in the glass I used to add GP's to the tank. They were both doing very well eating and getting fat. The emperor was just starting the color change. I fed the tank at about 11-12 at night. The next morning they were both dead. I am still bummed about it. They died about 3 weeks ago. I can't believe I killed them. It hurts to see pictures of them still. These deaths had nothing to do with the fish, only the stupidity of their owner.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve Sorry.
Did all the fish in your tank die?
If not, don't blame yourself.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: naesco ]</p>

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failure. Mine lasted about 5 months and after a one week vacation, body was never found. However one thing I wants to point out. I have same experiences with chevron too, usually lasted about 3-5 months and somehow died. I think poor nutrition, swimming space, and tankmates may have something to do with it.

Just before I converted my full-reef to the reef/seahorse mix tank, I have just acquired a chevron tang, just about 3 months before. During the conversion, I returned all big fish and tangs to LFS except the Chevron, thinking it can be a good helper in keeping the turf algae at bay. It has been about 9 months since I have that Chevron, it is still going strong. Full stomach without target feeding. Grazes all day with regular feast of live saltwater ghost shrimp. I have never seen a Chevron as happy as him. He is the only 3"+ fish in my 150.

I think PBT can also be kept if he has plenty of swimming spaces, occassional live feast, and absence of competition....... pretty much same requirement for all tangs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco,
The lawnmower made i, but looked pretty bad for a week. He is fine now. The elegance and fungia also told me something wasn't right. I can think of nothing other than me for this problem.

jdamon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Powder Blue in my 75 gal for 2+ years when I was still a newbie and it was awsome. I never had any problems with it. I had a yellow tang, and some other angel fish, before it was a full blown reef. I am actually considdering getting another one now (six years later) because they are so beautiful and full of personality. I would agree that it is extremely important to get a healthy one from the get go. I used to work at the LFS while in high school, so I should be able to spot a good one. I just wish they were a little less expensive. HTH. Jeff

MandarinFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, in the water it had been living in... it didn't even make it to my tank. It was dead within 24 hours.

I would never get one again. I would never recommend one. They have high mortality. They are not able to breed in captivity, and rarely even survive.

Please don't get one Ernie.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is typical of the powder blue tang story. Some die almost immediately, Most are dead in a couple of months. A few survive less than a year. Rarely can you keep one alive even if you are an experienced reefer.

dendronepthya

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first powder blue I had survived a few years before I took down the tank, and sold every fish. It may be alive, I'm not sure. I kept it in a VERY crowded 75 gal. tank that I am still kicking myself for.

The second powder blue tang was going well for about 7 months when I added a new peice of equipment that leached "something" into my tank and killed all my fish in about an hour. I'm tacking that one up to a freak accident.

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: dendronepthya ]</p>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: