• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bob Gardner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not solve your problem but in addition to all of the good ideas offered to you another way of keeping some of the heat out is to get a neptune Controller, if you havn't already got one and program the lights to go off if the temperature goes above 82. That way you dont have to run them at night.

Cory

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if everybody has gone digital. Really the only way to accuratley gauage temp swings. JMO

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Texas, where it gets hot and stays hot for much of the year. August is brutal down here. Almost everyone has A/C, if you don't, you will suffer miserably. People up north complain about a couple weeks of 90+ temps. Big deal. We have about 5 months of 90+ and weeks of 100+ with bad humidity.

In my opinion, an air conditioner is the best solution to aquarium heat problems. A chiller not only costs a ton, it also has to "dump" the heat somewhere. A window A/C unit will cool you and the tank nicely, and cost less too. It also makes a lot more sense than bottles or ice. If you have to leave for a few days, the A/C will take care of it.

RichMacys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how anyone lives without air conditioning! After living in FLA and getting used to the air being down around 66-68 year round inside. Couldnt imagine this past week without one, not to mention the reef tank.
icon_cool.gif

jmeader

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouse- if you have a chiller then you obviously do not have the constant temp that you are asking of everyone else.

Cory- I use digital and standard thermometers. I have to agree that a tank is different than the natural reef. About as different as his tank is from yours. I know you have read it at least a thousand times, but obviously you still don't understand it, " There's more than 1 way to skin a cat. and What works for you won't work for everyone." Personally, I don't need or care for a chiller. I think there are better routes to take.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Central air and heat, 250 MH over a 55 gallon, water temp 81 degrees everyday of the year, no chiller. There may even be more than two was to remove the fur off a cat.
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
P.P.P.S The sea only fluctuate about 1-2 degrees in a YEAR.
icon_biggrin.gif

This is only true of the sea as a whole, and in fact, because of global warming, the sea has increased its overall temperature instead of fluctuating. However, as was said above, water changes within a confined area, as many snorkelers and divers would attest to (a reference to the golf ball thread - shrinkage anyone?
icon_biggrin.gif
), are much greater than 1 or 2 degrees. As the waves move water back and forth, it moves the water column back and forth, and warmer water and colder water are constantly moving and mixing on the reef. In shallow reefs as well, the temperature can become very intense, and cool off dramatically at night. Temperature is one of the least constant factors in nature when dealing with a reef, and corals can normally tolerate a wide range of temperatures.

Sorry to follow up the ppppppppppps with an opinion, not meant to be a flame, I just like to see my opinions in print, because, naturally, if it's written, it must be true!
icon_rolleyes.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just like to say that this is the longest thread I've started here, and the debate, IMHO, has been excellent with many good points raised. It's helped me a lot.

Thanks everyone.
icon_cool.gif

Peace,

Chip

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cory,

Your theory about fish swimming to "beat the heat" is flawed: What about corals?

Mouse:

The average temp in NY is probably about 18 C (if you take into account winter!)

E

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: