A

Anonymous

I have a 25-gal reef tank, 5 years-old, with about 2 inches of 2mm-size Carib Sea crushed coral substrate, which has a lot of microfauna in it. I just added a tiger tail cuke, and learned that my current substrate may be too coarse for it to eat/digest. So, I am looking for a finer particle aragonite substrate suitable for the cuke as well as for the microfauna. I appreciate any recomm.
on what to get as well as where from (ie, mail order companies or LFS in the Sacramento area).

I am considering Carib Sea "oolytic" or sugar-sized substrate. Would this be okay?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Here is what you need to do.

Go to Home Depot, and find the area where they sell bricks, blocks, dirt, sand, mulch, etc. Find a red & blue plastic bag of "Play Sand from the Caribbean".

This bag costs $3.89 and weighs 50lbs.

Here is a figurative explanation:
CaribSea oolitic sand and "Play Sand from the caribbean" are both mined in the same place in the ocean by the same company. When on land, it gets packaged in different bags, one which says CaribSea and one which says "play sand". A price tag is applied to caribsea at $50.- and a price tag is applied to "play sand" at $3.89, so take your pick.

Home Depot "play sand from the caribbean" is 100% the same stuff as oolitic Carib sea. I bought both bags just to make sure, and it is true.

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

Than ks Nathan. So you will save us more money than you lost on the REEF DNA! There is no shortage of consumer rip-offs in the aquarium trade. I am really glad to know this, because I am about to buy some sand.

A

Anonymous

Hi Flounder,

There was a whole discussion about this Home Depot sand on (I think it was) this board.

The final conclusion was that it was the same mining company in the Caribbean. Some was sold to Home Depot for childrens sand pits, and some was sold to CaribSea.

In other words "it's the exact same stuff"!
smile.gif

I'm glad I could be of help to you guys.

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

hi all
the sand you are refering to from home depot is manufactured by southdown from Easton PA. and is shipped only to 6 or 7 states.
look up the old post on home depot oolitic sand here .<30 days ago
i got 500 lbs of it~!
their is a number you can call to see where you can get it.
good luck

------------------
surfinbill

[This message has been edited by surfinbill (edited 28 October 1999).]

A

Anonymous

I just went to my local Home Depot here in Vacaville, CA (N. Calif). No luck. They even were laughing when I said I wanted sand that was made of crushed coral from the Caribbean! I should have looked at the thread mentioned above and see how difficult it can be to get this sand if one doesn't live in the east coast. I will contact my local hardware stores to see if they can special order it for me. I got the SKU # from the last thread. Glad it was posted already. I'll keep you folks up to date what happens in my quest.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: