• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

apparent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah EVERY lfs around here tryed to sell me a wet/dry when I was going around trying to initially get my tank pieced together. I really didn't know much about them at the time but luckily I got some good advice from a local hobbyist here who told me to say far away from wet/drys.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
malakai":1crfmpe6 said:
Me: "I need something to help control the algae in my 20 gallon reef."

Clerk: "How about a yellow tang?"

Me: "Won't that be a bit cramped in a 20 gallon tank?"

Clerk: "Not at all, we have little ones. They won't get too big in your tank."
There is some truth in this, certain tangs will stunt their growth in a small tank. While this is pretty cruel, it can be done.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Lobster":d7mnqfeo said:
malakai":d7mnqfeo said:
Me: "I need something to help control the algae in my 20 gallon reef."

Clerk: "How about a yellow tang?"

Me: "Won't that be a bit cramped in a 20 gallon tank?"

Clerk: "Not at all, we have little ones. They won't get too big in your tank."
There is some truth in this, certain tangs will stunt their growth in a small tank. While this is pretty cruel, it can be done.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't exactly advice, but it goes to show that some of these salespeople are clueless:

Me: how much are those zoanthids back there?

LFS guy: Zoanthids?????

Me: yeah, those zoanthid polyps that look like little buttons (I was positive he had them).

LFS guy: I don't know of any zoanthids, but if we're talking about the same polyp, they can get really expensive since they come from only one place in the worldand are really hard to get.

Me: Thank you (walk away) SIGH!

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't exactly advice, but it goes to show that some of these salespeople are clueless:

Me: how much are those zoanthids back there?

LFS guy: Zoanthids?????

Me: yeah, those zoanthid polyps that look like little buttons (I was positive he had them).

LFS guy: I don't know of any zoanthids, but if we're talking about the same polyp, they can get really expensive since they come from only one place in the worldand are really hard to get.

Me: Thank you (walk away) SIGH!

Micah00

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started out and my tank had cycled I went to buy my first fish. I had been going to the LFS at least twice a week for that first month to try and decide what I would put in my tank. He had a fish labled as a sweetlips clown and wanted $70 for it. Now @ that time I had only kept freshwater and the most I had ever paid for a fish was $6. I told the guy I had not been able to find that fish on the internet anywhere and he told me " Yes, that is a very rare CLOWNFISH that only comes from one place in the world". I said I didn't know about buying a $70 fish to start out and he told me it would live good in my 55. I told him I would give him $60 for the fish and he changed the subject so I bought a percula. A couple of weeks later was on the net and noticed the species sweetlips I checked it and there it was Clown Sweetlips and it said "Expert only because of its needy diet and rapid growth to 2 1\2 feet".

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: