• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys/Gals-

I'm new to the reef world and have gone all out with a 140 gallon built in. I'm working closely with the LFS, but could sure use some of the experience on this web site. I've gotten many ideas from the other threads. Here are some specs...

140g Ocean View RR 60x18x30
JBJ 1/4 chiller
48" Corallife combo (2mh 150w + 2 pc actinic 96w + 4 moon)
Pro Clear 150 skimmer

The plan is to widen the wall to 18". The tank will be a see though into the formal dinning area. My tank is on order with overflows being installed into the ends. I plan on framing this weekend. The stand is already built.

Comments?...

Attachments

• drywall removed sm.jpg
    drywall removed sm.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 6,422
  • back of wall sm.jpg
    back of wall sm.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6,420
  • Outline for built in sm.jpg
    Outline for built in sm.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6,424

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:

Looks good so far. The lighting you choose won't allow for some of the higher light corals. 2 x 250W or even 400W would allow for more stocking flexibility. 150W will be fine for soft corals and LPS though. Also I would recommend you find some way to vent the chiller outdoors or have it plumbed outdoors or in the basement (they're noisy and produce a lot of heat).

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was what I had against the wall. 55g Oscar tank. He's now in the entry way. I already miss walking by him, he can be very entertaining!

By the way, he's 11in long and 6 years old.

Attachments

• fish tank against wall sm.jpg
    fish tank against wall sm.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 6,413
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting looking setup! Too bad it has an oscar in it. :P

Peace,

Chip

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is to use a dryer vent up to the top of the wall and vent into the room, about 9' above the floor. The space will be pretty tight. No way to vent outside. The chiller will be placed to the right of the tank at floor level within the wall. See pic...

Attachments

• Stand against wall.jpg
    Stand against wall.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 6,405
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you planning to access that inner space? Are you going to have a door or cabinet doors on either side? (or both!)

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is to have 4 access doors running the full length of the wall from the molding up to the chair rail. 2 doors will access the lower part of the stand where the sump will be, and 1 on each side. There will also be a hidden access to the top of the tank on the same side.

There will be no access to the tank from the living room.

I figure, its only an 18" wide tank, so I should be able to get to most areas. The depth has me a little worried, 30"...

Attachments

• dining room sketch.jpg
    dining room sketch.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 6,387

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":9m48q5af said:
:welcome:

The lighting you choose won't allow for some of the higher light corals. 2 x 250W or even 400W would allow for more stocking flexibility. 150W will be fine for soft corals and LPS though. Also I would recommend you find some way to vent the chiller outdoors or have it plumbed outdoors or in the basement (they're noisy and produce a lot of heat).

I left out the 2 x 96W pc actinics for a total of 492W. The hood I bought has 2MH+2PC+4Moon

I hope thats enough! $$$$$$$$$ is getting crazy!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it'll be a lot easier to get in there if you have a way to get the lights out of the way when you want to do work. I've seen setups where the lighting was on drawer slides and could be slid out of the way - I had a bicycle pully system that could raise mine. It makes a big difference. The nice thing about raising the lights (as opposed to sliding them out of the way) is that they give you really great lighting for working on your tank. If you are there too long the MH can give you a sunburn though. !!!

jayo

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jayo":1p3wh2l9 said:
it'll be a lot easier to get in there if you have a way to get the lights out of the way when you want to do work. I've seen setups where the lighting was on drawer slides and could be slid out of the way - I had a bicycle pully system that could raise mine. It makes a big difference. The nice thing about raising the lights (as opposed to sliding them out of the way) is that they give you really great lighting for working on your tank. If you are there too long the MH can give you a sunburn though. !!!

jayo

I figured I will tackle that when I get there. I have planned plenty of room to raise the lights, just not the mechanic means! A Bicycle pully might just work. Any ideas where to find?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cbeitel":24hr3j15 said:
jayo":24hr3j15 said:

jayo

I figured I will tackle that when I get there. I have planned plenty of room to raise the lights, just not the mechanic means! A Bicycle pully might just work. Any ideas where to find?

:) that's what I did too, and then kicked myself for not having done it before I started - I find that you end up neediing to fiddle in the system the most right after it is set up (aquascaping, cleaning algae blooms, reaquascaping, stocking, etc).

I got my bike pulleys at a bicycle shop. I've seen other light raise/lower equipment - there are some cool cable systems meant for hanging hoods that allow you to raise and lower them too. You'll want to see if you can check out a number of different methods and see which looks best for your setup - I'm no expert. Maybe others will chime in?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good built in thread. I am looking forward to watching this set-up develop.

Chip wrote:

I hope thats enough! $$$$$$$$$ is getting crazy!

The budget for a built-in reef tank is like an iceberg. You probably have only seen the part that is on the surface. Trust me. ;)

Louey

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've budgeted around $4000 by the time fish go in it. Right now, its sitting at $2500. That includes RR Tank, chiller, lights, skimmer, & DIY stand. I'm pretty frugal. :D I hit the LFS for all the big stuff during their once a year sale, $1 over invoice tanks, 20% off all hard goods, etc, etc. I'm surfing my butt off to find other good deals. Just bought an RO/DI system off e-bay for $124 including shipping. Hope the recommendations I have read are right!!

Thanks for all the input. Gotta go print some money..... Uh, I mean go to work :wink: !

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cbeitel":l6yi36yq said:
Just bought an RO/DI system off e-bay for $124 including shipping. Hope the recommendations I have read are right!!
What unit did you get? I need a RO/DI unit really badly and this sounds more affordable than usual...

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I do love these built-in project posts. I've been working on a plan for my own. I'm sure everyone on this forum is planning something big. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: