• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cbeitel":cliuftlf said:
I've budgeted around $4000 by the time fish go in it. Right now, its sitting at $2500.

Thanks for all the input. Gotta go print some money..... Uh, I mean go to work :wink: !

Better raise that to $6000. Pumps and LR alone are going to hurt. And Then add at least another $1000 for all the cool corals it will take to fill that tank. I stopped adding at 7, not only to make myself sleep better but to avoid divorce :P :lol: :P

Are those going to be arched pass throughs or double sided shadow boxes? What are you going to do about that wainscoat in the dining room?Either way it looks as your design is well thought out and is going to be amazing when its finished. Who is doing all of the work for you? I need a job!! :lol:

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the wains coating is going to be 1/2 plywood doors that 'appear' to be wains coating. I plan on hiding the seems of the doors at the chair rail and floor trim. No escape route for the water, if I have a disaster, it will have to be replaced... Tile in all other areas of the house though. Just hardwood in the dining room.

The cut outs are going to be shadow boxes... maybe. I may leave those out of the final.

I need some pump recommendations. I have decided on using a 55g standard glass tank as a sump. I'm going to modify the stand so I will be able to remove if needed. So, I need a submersible pump with enough flow. Here are the specs.

-5' head height from pump to head
-2 overflow boxes (Mounted at tank ends (see-through design), 2 heads each= total of 4 heads.
-haven't decided on 1 or 2 pumps
-haven't decided how to pump the chiller yet

Any ideas?

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress today.

-Removed the hardwood floor
-Moved the electrical
-finished removing drywall
-cut the hole
-test fit stand

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 3,469
  • Stand test fit.jpg
    Stand test fit.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 3,470

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More work done this weekend... :)

-Had to cut the wood floor back another 1/2" for account for expansion
:(
-Ran wiring for 2 x 20amp circuits (need to add another main panel since I'm out of breakers, Damn, another expense!)
-began the framing and installed and leveled the stand.
-moved a/c duct in the ceiling

Hey, I still need some pump recommendations. I changed my mind and decided on 2 DIY acrylic sumps 1(20g skimmer box+return) and 1(20g refugium). The refug will be fed from tank overflow and will overflow into skimmer box. The main reason for split tanks is to fit under built in stand. I want them to be removable and as big as possible

I want a low power use pump with decent flow. Any suggestions??

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the RO/DI unit installed last night. I plumed it from the washing machine and installed it in the cabinet above. Clean install :)

Now I need a water container, maybe 50g or so. I changed the water in my daughters tank upstairs and thought I'd pump the prepared RO/DI water up there but my pump wasn't strong enough! So I lugged 10g upstairs... :x

Any ideas on a pump? I still haven't gotten any recommendations!!

Attachments

• hook-ups.jpg
    hook-ups.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,419
  • ro-dix2.jpg
    ro-dix2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 3,419
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a submersible pump, I'd go with a Magdrive 9. That's got 950 PGH.

I personally don't like putting exessive water through the sump. The more flow through your sump, the more micro-bubbles you have to deal with. Just put enough flow through your sump to facilitate skimming.

You can increase the flow in your tank with Tunze, Vortech's, closed loops, etc.

You could go with a smaller pump too, IMO. I use an Iwaki 40 on my 300G that is rated at 1200 PGH.

Louey

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey-

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking an external... Maybe... :)

What I really want is an efficient, cool running, and most of all QUIET pump.

I'm willing to pay for a quality pump since it will be the hardest working item in the set up. I was planning on a couple power heads (w/mod) at each end. set with timmers or such to get an alternating current.

So Internal/External whatever fits my main requirements I'm open to.

Ideas?

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about pumps. But my suggestion would be to start a new thread to get recommendations. I think many people will have suggestions and experience to share, but they aren't necessarily reading this post.

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some work done over the weekend.

- Re-framed the stand so the center post is removable (To accomodate a 48" long sump)
- Framed in the stand
- Rough framed the light canopy

The upper canopy area is 24" tall and will have a small pulley system to raise and lower the lighting fixture. There will also be a 60Lx24H service door at the top of the tank. Not sure how I'm going to hinge it yet... :?

Thanks for the pump recommendation. I ordered a mag 950. My head height will be about 6' so I figure with some low restrictive pumbing, I'll have at least 500gph through the sump, maybe 650 if I'm lucky. The pump is rated 720 at a 6ft head. I'll need to add another pump for the chiller, so with that and 2 decent power heads, I'll be good.

Attachments

• canopy framing2.jpg
    canopy framing2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 3,323

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update!

- Most of the rough framing is done
- Finished running cable to the breaker box (2, 20amp circuts)
- finished the electrical that was pre existing in the wall
- Relocated the dining room light switch
- Rough installed a second breaker box
- first coat of primer/sealer paint on the stand and some framing

Other notes... I pick up the tank this week. Its waiting for me at the LFS. I decided to switch to a better skimmer. I bought an ASM G3 and should see it this week.

My main breaker box only has one open switch, so I had to install a mini breaker box next to it. All is good though because I need 2 more dedicated circuits anyway. One for my workshop and one for my Christmas display (15,000+ lights and growing yearly!). So, I'll be putting in 4 circuits.

Man, I'm tired!

Attachments

• new breaker box.jpg
    new breaker box.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,252
  • framing almost finished.jpg
    framing almost finished.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,252
  • electrical panel.jpg
    electrical panel.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 3,252

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Design update-

I'm pretty sure this is the final design of the Dinning Room side of the wall. Each cabinet area below the tank will have hidden doors in the wains coating. The 2 cabinets above will be hidden behind pictures or some other wall covering (Probably). The key is to hide all access to the tank as much as possible. The family room side will have not access to the tank. Just a viewing window.

The Chiller and the Lighting will be vented with a quiet exhaust fan near the top of the 10' ceiling. I may have to put an intake vent on the Chiller door to give it more fresh air. The timers I have selected are heavy duty digital, 20amp. http://michaelselectric.com/catalog...d=292&osCsid=f9826402037879cfc6901bec06922214 I have heard of many failures with the intermatic timer, so I won't be buying that one!

Attachments

• design sketch.jpg
    design sketch.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 3,249

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finished building the sump. It was my first attempt at acrylic work... and it didn't leak!! Thanks to Melev's Reef for the tips. The only trouble I had was with the bottom. I have a few air bubbles in there so I'm going to but some extra #16 glue in later for safety sake. The side seams are flawless.

It bowed slightly at the top when I filled it all the way full, so I'm going to add a top rim for additional strength. I used 1/4 material (.220")

The 4x8 sheet cost $108, glue and 3 cuts at the Regal Plastics was about $30 more. So total w/tax came to about $160.

Here are the specs-

48L x 12.25W x 18H

45g total volume
30g operational volume (Leaving 15g of overflow) plenty of safety margin built in.

9.8g skimmer and intake area Intake area will house eggcrate for carbon
1" bubble traps
7.6g return area
10.6g refugium area (17 x 12 x 12)

Flow will enter the intake area, some will be diverted off into the fuge from the over flows.

Intake-> Skimmer-> bubble traps-> RETURN <-Fuge

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,180

cbeitel

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is home!!!

The tank is an Ocean View 140g (60L x 18w x 30H). I had the overflows built into the ends since it is a see through set up. This tank is HEAVY. O.V. appears to overbuild their tank a bit. While its not a fancy starfire I am extremely happy with the tank.

Tank= $499.19
Overflows= $140 each

Total cost = $779.19 + tax

The LFS had a sale advertised as $1 over invoice tanks. I think I did pretty well :D

Attachments

• tank and sump.jpg
    tank and sump.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3,179
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 3,179

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: