• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anubis":3h4cfk3r said:
Were there some super secret instructions with it that tells you how to attach it without squishing the poor thing?

i can't figure out how you would use that either. you mean you force the creature into that piece of plastic?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:lol: Saw the threads, read the posts, and now I got to see the item in question :lol:

aljndrno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wait that's not all... according to instructions, he suggests that you take a pair of scissors, insert it through the pvc hole to spread the break. 8O

Now he suggest that I play with scissors too? Dee dee dee :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason braided vinyl tubing or flex PVC wouldn't accomplish the same thing? :? :? :?

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so basically you are supposed to squeeze the heck out of the poor thing?.. Uhm... ok... why do I get images of an iron maiden without the spikes.. or certain parts of an anatomy in a vise?.. sorry... can't do it... i would hear the poor critters screaming in my mind that "ouch it hurts!"... (or hear myself using colorful language when I stab myself with the scissors or get my flesh caught in the pinch... )
ok... so I am an imaginative klutz.. but at least I admit it!

<--- is sticking with super glue...

(edited to add)... I still don't see how it is going to stay on the rock.. I mean.. the frag would make it top heavy.. right?.. so wouldn't it automatically want to roll over on it's side?

liquid

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting way to do it.

FWIW I've mounted coral a couple ways. I've made my own frag plugs that were somewhat reminiscent of ORA's frag plug except made out of cement. Actually, they look identical to this auction. (this is NOT my auction btw)

These you can make for cheap as long as you have a decent mold and you can buy molding supplies from hobby stores.

I've also went to school off of Tropicorium and just used plastic flower stem holders. Here's a pic of them in action:

( from http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2003/tips.htm )

rose-holder.jpg

m-digitata2.jpg

The cement type work pretty well for soft coral when using superglue and the flower stem holders work awesome for hard branching coral as you just push them into the stem opening and you're done.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I guess you would squeeze a softie frag in this and then you have something rigid to put into a hole in the rock? Assuming you can find a large enough hole? I guess I could see how maybe it might work for slimy leather frags, but you still need to find a way to get the pvc to attach to the rock.

No, I don't see how this could be new technology. As far as putting frags on plastic bases, people have been doing that with those little bud vases for years anyway. It still leaves you with the problem of getting it to attach to the rock. (LOL, see above, I type too slow!)

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am lost on this one. I have been trying to figure out a good way to mount corals and looking at that picture, I am still trying to find a good way to mount them. It sounds to me like Super Glue Gel works good and I don't see why it would be a big mess.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the phrase has lost it's freshness, but that is totally ghetto.

The eBay description of small pieces of pvc pipe with a small lengthwise cut is priceless:

Frag-Loc makes it possible to mount very, very small frags that you would have never even dreamed of mounting before. I have been testing the design for several weeks in my tank and have successfully mounted many different types of coral. Kenyan tree coral, crown leather, green star polyps, small branching stony corals, mushrooms, even single zoos! And I mounted them all in under 5 seconds each using no glue and rubberbands.

Additionally, each Frag-Loc is designed to sit in the sand and not be moved, even by heavy current. With a twist of the wrist, Frag-Loc takes on sand and sits safely upright. With another twist, it dumps the sand and is ready to be mounted in the rockwork.

Each Frag-Loc is handmade by me and comes ready for use. They are produced using all "food grade" inert materials and are guaranteed 100% safe for use in all aquarium situations. Each Frag-Loc is approx 1/2 inch cubed and will be discreet in your tank. They will quickly cover with coraline and become completely invisible.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: