• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.p ... 85586&st=0

Then read this:

http://www.oc-creative.com/reef/forum/f ... =2277&PN=1

Then check his "product" out here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frag-Loc-Live-Coral ... dZViewItem

At first I thought this was silly. But now I'm really intrigued and curious to know what it is. I might end up purchasing some just to end this the bugging inside my head! I mean, really, what COULD it be?! :lol:

Another great topic that sprung from the good ol' local reef club forum. Ranger? :wink:

What do you guys think?!?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy apparently is scared it could be a neat idea and doesn't want the thing "stolen", he wants a patent for it.

Now that's all fine and good EXCEPT if he has sold any of these before applying for a patent then he can't get a patent for it.

Eitherway buy some, they'll cost you $3 with shipping then you can post the pictures :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would *I* do that? no. I have absolutely no problem getting frags to stay on rocks. However someone else might, and I just said to post pictures to quell others curiosity

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all of us start selling our reef ideas what kind of community are we? I mean really? I have a great idea for building a sump, for $15 I will tell you. I have a good plan for putting 2 corals side by side I will sell that thought to you for $25. Part of our being online as a community is sharing thoughts and ideas. If he wants to make money on it then patent it. Open a store and sell it. So much for the nice sharing community of reef keepers. Its all about the money.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not feel bad at all. I would nock it off so fast that his head would spin. Thats why patents exist, to keep people from knocking off stuff.

His idea is going to get out, oh well, should have patent it.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he said something that made sense. If this thing is so simple, then patenting it would make no sense since reefers would just make their own instead of purchasing the product. And THAT is why I think it's silly to sell it or the idea. I am intrigued to know what it is, though. More for the suspense/mystery than the need for it. :P

aljndrno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, like many of you, I too was intrigued by the idea, so I bought some ($5 worth and got 8 in the mail). The seller didn't put any pictures because if he did, no one would buy them. Not to knock his idea, but anyone with a 1/4 plastic tubing or larger can do the same thing. Take a look for yourself. Patent or not, I wouldn't use this.

It looks hard to work with and there's a big chance of hurting the coral with this one. You'll also need a few hand to work with it. I use a fine 10 lb fish line to tie my loose corals to a rock. Once they attach or move, I pick the rock up and cut the fish line off. But then again, that's just my opinion. Buyer beware.

Attachments

• frag_loc.jpg
    frag_loc.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3,558

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC....well I CAN say I didnt think of that. However I dont think he would have gotten a pattent for that. He is using a previously made thing. Plus anyone that can afford a metal halide can afford a patent. Thats the whole point of the patent process is to be cheap.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... I think that I will just stick with the LR rubble and super glue I was using to mount ricordia with this after noon.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't superglue ricordea, but the rubble and superglue is also what I use for stonies. Softies is just rubble and the frags in a tupperware and let them do their thing. Sometimes it takes a toothpick. :)

The curiosity is gone, obviously, and I don't see how this is such an incredibly great idea. Also, it definitely seems like he could've just shared. Oh well...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahahahahah oh man that's rich...

The Inventor!":lyuu63bt said:
It was designed from scratch, it is not just an adaptation of old technology.

This is the first time I've seen PVC!

But wow, seriously wow, you squeeze the bagazus out of a coral and that's the plan? Wouldn't that thing roll off the rock in any sort of current?

Seriously, woooonk wooonk wahhhhhh..

aljndrno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he reeled a few people in, including me into buying a few. At 99 cents a piece, plus shipping. He's making out.

Curiosity killed the cat!!!

Anubis1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok... i don't see how that will stay attached to a rock and not roll / fall off... unless there is something I am missing.. and that's supposed to look better than super glue?... uh... ok.... (trying to picture attaching a ricordia with that thing... not getting the mental image unless a squished ricordia is it...)
Were there some super secret instructions with it that tells you how to attach it without squishing the poor thing?

I think I'll stick with super glue personally....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is waaay more inconspicuous than super glue. You will never see that in the tank. Hopefully the dripping sarcasm wasn't lost on that. Wow, designed from scratch. So how do you attach that to the LR...super glue I suppose? Seems to me it would hurt the corals using that, at least stonies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: