• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
SnowManSnow":e18zns7q said:
I went the RO rout from Walmart for a good while before purchasing my RODI unit. I bought this one from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showp ... 71&Sub=166 I got the 75g mod and it has been great. It is ESPECIALLY useful when you need to do an emergancy water change or somthing and you don't have wanna drive to town.

Oh, and keep your filters changed at least every 9mos or so... should cost about $60 to swap everything out.

The periodic purchase should be less than that for a typical configuration. For example:
sediment filter: $2
Carbon block: $12
new DI resin: $12

Total = $26

Remember that your RO membrane should not need to be replaced as often as your other stages.

Russ @ BFS

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
SnowManSnow":1p20qwvq said:
umm..

I dont think your suppose to drink DI water..

RO yea.. DI no.

B

Yes - this debate is ongoing, with new infor recently from the WHO. However I belive the WHO does not address DI water, only RO water ("demineralized water"). Could be wrong - its been a while since I read that paper. Additionally, I don't remember that paper addressing the issue of dental health. Their main focus was lack of input of needed minerals in the water.

We recommend people not drink DI water because:
1. Its doesn't taste good. RO water tastes great, as is evident in many of the brands of expensive bottled "filtered" (i.e., RO) water you can buy in the store.
2. Its a needless expense to make DI for drinking water
3. We've not seen any data to indicate that long-term consumption of DI doesn't lead to problems with dental enamel.

Russ @ BFS

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
dupaboy1992":1uygb4j3 said:
I don't understand why you need the check valve? since the storage tank is pressurized, how can the DI back feed it? :?

The check valve is important to keep water from the pressure tank from flowing back through the DI resin. Remember that residence time is important - you have to give the resin time to do its job. If your flood the di resin with water too quickly (as would be the case with water flowing from the pressure tank) you risk getting incomplete treatment from the di resin.

Russ @ BFS

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see iseeweed said he used distilled water. I was told to avoid it unless I knew copper pipes were not used in the process like a lot of them use. I buy ro/di from Culligan at the supermarket (their ro/di) unit and pay .29 gal. It is a real pain lugging two 5 gal containers around. I gotta get my own unit. So help me Santa.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: