• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, Does anyone have an estimate of how much it cost to filter per gallon?? My system is less than 50g total. I evaporate around 1/4-1/2 gallon a day. I have been using bottled distilled water since day one. I have been paying .99 per gallon at wall-mart, so it cost me between .25-.50 per day in water. Just trying to figure out if it would be cost effective to buy an ro/di unit.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO operational costs will differ depending on how bad your source water is, but it is very unlikely to ever cost close to $.50 a day if you're just making a few gallons a day. A membrane is about $50-75 and is replaced every 18-24 months on average (again, this value will differ based on your source water impurities). If you have a multistage RO unit, it will cost a little more to replace the carbon and DI cartridges. But compare $0.50 per day for 365 days = $182+.

It is true ROs waste a good deal of water to produce the pure water, but municipal water is cheap and you aren't likely to see much increase in your water bill :) When it comes to water changes, you'll see solid savings, not to mention the convenience and peace of mind that you have good water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on your water conditon (like Len says) and your setup. I don't think it cost more than 20 cents/gal for RO/DI, and 10-15cents per gallon for RO.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the RO rout from Walmart for a good while before purchasing my RODI unit. I bought this one from www.buckeyefieldsupply.com http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showp ... 71&Sub=166 I got the 75g mod and it has been great. It is ESPECIALLY useful when you need to do an emergancy water change or somthing and you don't have wanna drive to town.

As far as cost, you may want to check with your water co. Where I live the water is charged per UNIT of like 1,000 gallons I think. I DID NOT notice a big jump in my water bill when I started making RODI water at home. Maybe a few bucks, but that's about it.

IMO a RODI unit is a MUST for long term success. OH, and keep your filters changed at least every 9mos or so... should cost about $60 to swap everything out.

Just m y thoughts on the matter.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The month I filled my tank, sump and top off the first time my water bill went up less than $10. I think the total volume I needed was about 200. Now my water bill is less than $5 over what it used to be. Being able to get water on demand is well worth the extra expense.

FB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using culligan from wal-mart. @ 4.99 / 5 gallon.

I bought the RO/DI unit off ebay for $99.99.

TDS 181 in 0 out.

We also use it for drinking water 5 - 10 gallon's / week plus about 5 gallons for the tank.

My water bill went from $40 to $70. It's quartely billing so about $10 more / month.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uh oh.. Ive been drinking my RO/DI water for six months now. I dont feel deionized. :) I will do some research. TY for the heads up snow. :wink:

iseeweed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I purchase an RO/DI unit, will the water be as pure as steam distilled?? What are the benefits of deionization? I think the distilled water I have been using is actually re-ionized.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a properly maintained RO membrane was supposed to last almost forever?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i am going to purchase and r/o machine at the first of the year after christmas is all done and I wanted to buy it for the tank and for me to drink. should I buy just an R/o or an r/o d/i I plan on drinking it also so is rodi safe or is r/o better? this post is admittedly hard to read, sorry.

thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB":3uon0et7 said:
Seems to be very debated topic.

http://www.finishing.com/110/17.shtml

Not much relevent material on the internet.

I pretty much come across drinking RO/DI every month or so, and there is a lot of info on this and other sites.

I am too lazy to type or find the thread, but basically it is a waste of money to drink RO/DI water, but it won't hurt you much other than the nasty chemicals that they use for manufacture the DI resin (that's why NSF, national sanitary foundation, does not give a "potable" for regular DI resin produced DI water).

You can reionize RO/DI just by spit into the water. Take a TDS meter, measure the RO/DI in a very, very clean plastic container. It says 0.01 ppm. Now spit into the container, and the TDS goes all the way to 20ppm. It makes you wonder why bother to start with RO/DI anyway. No, that's not the method that the water bottling company use to "remineralize" the RO water for taste in case you wonder.

BTW, my family use RO water for drinking and cook for 7 or 8 years, and it is very good.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA-Lawman":2drxrlyl said:
i have a bypass setup so i can feed r/o water to the house and DI to the tanks stuff. it was easy.
Good idea. Id bet I can DIY a mod for that one easy enough.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tee between the RO and DI that goes to the bladder tank is all it need. No need for a mod.

LA-Lawman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i did. I installed a chek valve too to prevent back feeding from the DI line to the R/O storage tank too.

i think i spent $10 for the whole thing. the check valve was the expensive jobber....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why you need the check valve? since the storage tank is pressurized, how can the DI back feed it? :?

otterpop510

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking of getting an RODI unit too, i know cost-wise the extra wasted water is not that big a deal.. but was hoping to recycle the water in some way, i've heard of people using for washing machine/water heater or just watering the plants. wondering, for the laundry or water heater if anyone has actually done this.. and if so how did they actually set this up (storage, pressure, etc..)? thanks..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: