evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Any personal reviews?

To me, honestly, the price of the KHG is the most likely candidate. Especially when you go straight to Alex Lin to purchase it off FB KHG group.

I don't have an apex nor do I see myself buying a new unit in order to pick it up. Alkatronic spending 900$ unless I can find a like new used one for 60-70% of the price and it is worth it will be hard to swallow.
I have seen the comparison numbers but I would like MR reviews because people seem more authentic, smaller community and easy to see most of your build threads to know what the long term success you have had, etc.

Any real review insights is much appreciated.

Should I go on a budget or do I really need to save up and go for Trident/Alktatronic? I think there is another option called Reefbot that I have seen with decent reviews if any of you have it, feel free to chime in as well.

Thank you,

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hello,

I have had the Trident since May. So no long term usage (I consider long-term to be a full year at least), but here we go:
- easy to install and setup: the APEX now has "tasks" which comprise of detailed instructions with clear pictures, and they have videos too
- calibration is as easy as setting up. With each new batch of reagents, you get a calibration solution. I use mine after about 2 days after reagents replacement
- the unit itself is nicely built. I looked at the vial where the tests take place (it is easy to access from the front) and was impressed by seeing that there is a tiny magnetic stirrer in there
- When it comes to the number of tests, since this is titration, your mileage will vary. Mine is about a month and a half. That can give you the idea on the cost
- I am not happy with the fact that you cannot set at what time you run the tests. I am fine with 4 tests (2 combined, and 2 alkalinity alone), but it would be nice to be able to offset the tests to make them somewhat coincide with the lights coming on/off
- Mg/Ca test results are a bit strange, as there seems to be a negative correlation between them, which as far as I know does not correspond to any explainable biological activity. Apparently Neptune are working on that. For this reason I am refraining from doing an all-auto dosing with the DOS.
- there is a known issue of lower accuracy when the reagents are low. For this reason people 3D-print an inverted cone to make the needles that go into the reagents bottles stay perfectly vertical. I received mine yesterday, but haven't used them yet.
- when it comes to the results, mine matched what I was getting with the Red Sea pro. I stopped using that one after a while.

There you go, my 2 cents.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello,

I have had the Trident since May. So no long term usage (I consider long-term to be a full year at least), but here we go:
- easy to install and setup: the APEX now has "tasks" which comprise of detailed instructions with clear pictures, and they have videos too
- calibration is as easy as setting up. With each new batch of reagents, you get a calibration solution. I use mine after about 2 days after reagents replacement
- the unit itself is nicely built. I looked at the vial where the tests take place (it is easy to access from the front) and was impressed by seeing that there is a tiny magnetic stirrer in there
- When it comes to the number of tests, since this is titration, your mileage will vary. Mine is about a month and a half. That can give you the idea on the cost
- I am not happy with the fact that you cannot set at what time you run the tests. I am fine with 4 tests (2 combined, and 2 alkalinity alone), but it would be nice to be able to offset the tests to make them somewhat coincide with the lights coming on/off
- Mg/Ca test results are a bit strange, as there seems to be a negative correlation between them, which as far as I know does not correspond to any explainable biological activity. Apparently Neptune are working on that. For this reason I am refraining from doing an all-auto dosing with the DOS.
- there is a known issue of lower accuracy when the reagents are low. For this reason people 3D-print an inverted cone to make the needles that go into the reagents bottles stay perfectly vertical. I received mine yesterday, but haven't used them yet.
- when it comes to the results, mine matched what I was getting with the Red Sea pro. I stopped using that one after a while.

There you go, my 2 cents.
I also wonder why the need to test 4 times day. Maybe to start off with, build a good baseline and understanding, but testing Mg/CA twice a day, everyday?

Where did yo buy the 3D-printed inverted cone? Do you know if the Mg/CA test results issue has been resolved?

i have trident and it saved me a few times but a lot of people i know hate it and have had issues with theirs
i love mine as long as you get a working one
alk has been more stable than ever
i used to complain about the 4 x a day testing but in the long run we spend a ton on corals i would like to have peace of mind things are ok
but that’s just me
some people can tell right away when things are off by looking
i’m not that good yet
and i look at my tank every day

Matt L.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
People are always surprised when I tell them I don't have a Trident. At least not yet.

I always felt like testing 4 times a day for (combinations of) Ca/Mg/Alk was excessive, and would consume reagents faster than I would care. Even at the minimum, that's like $360 a year? Mg to me just isn't as important as Ca/Alk. Meanwhile, I also would like to know nitrate and phosphate, and the trident has no function for testing those (neither test is a simple titration). I understand the need for the frequency, and the quality of Neptune Systems equipment varies greatly (the Trident is supposed to be one of the better ones).

I also do not like Neptune Systems conductivity meter, ORP, and DO probe, and use a DC powered conductivity probe for reading only. And I have (oh my gosh) 30+(?) Neptune Systems modules?

Matt:cool:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Regarding the 4 tests a day, it is a requirement so as to avoid clogging of the lines apparently. Which makes sense as they are tiny. I got used to it and do not mind.

Regarding the needle guides, Neptune says they are useless. I am always seeing very regular measurements at any time of the bottle usage so... unless it is the way I put the needles in... I cannot tell for sure if it is useful or not.

I got some 6-months reagents recently and noticed that since they all come from the same batch, the calibration solutions have the same values. And the result was that for once I did not see the values jump all over the place when replacing my reagents.

When it comes to cost, they say 2 months but honestly with my values (8.5dKH,m 400Ca, 1220Mg) I see around 6 weeks of usage. So yes, not cheap!

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i have trident and it saved me a few times but a lot of people i know hate it and have had issues with theirs
i love mine as long as you get a working one
alk has been more stable than ever
i used to complain about the 4 x a day testing but in the long run we spend a ton on corals i would like to have peace of mind things are ok
but that’s just me
some people can tell right away when things are off by looking
i’m not that good yet
and i look at my tank every day
thanks for the feedback. I am considering the Trident and I am hoping the stability will be a game changer for me as far as getting my corals to the next level of growth and color. Of course the most important reason is I can't stand doing the testing manually anymore

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
ive had the trident since november, i havent had any issues with it, ive been testing its results against the salifert test kits and its been dead on every time, i have a 3d printer and im easily capable of printing the cones for the reagents but i just havent had the need to do so and yes it does 4 tests a day to keep the lines unclogged. if for whatever reason you want to test at whatever time of the day its as easy as hitting a button in the fusion app or classic dashboard linked to your home network, i know a few people who have it and love it as well. its a painless setup following the directions. i dont have anything negative to say about it , i feel that people who dislike it didnt do something right setting it up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: