Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
I purchased some live rock that has quite a lot of aiptasia on it. It has been sitting in an empty bucket for two days. Is there anything I can do to make sure it dies before putting the rock in my new tank? I've read online that an acid bath is effective, but I would prefer not to use chemicals if there is another way.

I do not mind if its no longer "live rock" as long as there is no aiptasia outbreak in the new build. I will be supplementing this rock with dry macro rock from BRS.

Appreciate any advice or input!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
If you dry it out, they will die out, immediately. If you want to keep the rock alive, the slow easy way is to starve them all out, in the aerated bucket, no lights, no food, it will take a while. Speed that up by adding a pepperment, or camel shrimp.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I did a muriatic acid bath and then bleach bath for 7 days and it was super satisfying.
No ill effects
Baking soda neutralizes the acid. Air drying eradicates bleach but you can use a substance to break down chlorine as well. Brightwell Aquatics makes one.

Idk if i would trust leaving a rock to dry out...these f*ckers can survive a nuclear bomb

And camel shrimp WILL NOT eat aiptasia. They are mistaken for peppermint shrimp and instead go after your coral. I repeat, DO NOT buy camel shrimp

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
If you go with sterilization, there is no need for any shrimps. Brs,tv has videos on prepping old love rock for use again. The bleach solution, I believe also destroys any residual nutrients.
Thanks for the heads up! I was initially afraid of bleach, as I didn’t want it to kill any future coral I added. It seems that it’s reef safe once dry.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: