thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow it’s a shame how people are blowing up prices on fish like yellow tangs and other fish from Hawaii!!! Hopefully nobody pays these prices or it won’t change!!! Thanks

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Yeah but people are making it worse by selling yellow tangs for $250-300 dollars!!! Bad for the hobby!!! Especially if people buy them. It will keep prices high!
I’d rather spend 400 on qt fish from a supplier than someone on here taking advantage.. its really pathetic... I can understand 100/50 but people are like 250 YT... gtfoh.. once they see a moment to make an extra buck.. to each their one but it’s pathetic,

mk4fan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I’d rather spend 400 on qt fish from a supplier than someone on here taking advantage.. its really pathetic... I can understand 100/50 but people are like 250 YT... gtfoh.. once they see a moment to make an extra buck.. to each their one but it’s pathetic,
I think people use liveaquaria as a guage of how much to sell fish for :D

Aggi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
If they breed them is going to be more expensive ... and the prices that are over $200+ are mainly coming from some LFS do to their suppliers selling them at a higher price ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Playing devils advocate, when I was breeding banggai cardinal fish, I was trying to see how much labor and cost it would take as compared to wild fish, and after a couple of batches, I thought it was way too much effort (as compared to African cichlids). It's good that clownfish (and other species) have already come onto the market, but with clownfish, people were willing to pay the 5x or 10x prices for these designer species. This was probably the only way the breeders could pay for their overhead.
With this current (likely temporary) ban, it would give the windfall to breeders that they need to expand their capacity and research other species. That I feel is a win win for everyone. Who knows, they could start breeding the purple and gem tang next! And in a few years, hybridized tangs, just imagine, a yellow/gem tang hybrid for only $150-200.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Playing devils advocate, when I was breeding banggai cardinal fish, I was trying to see how much labor and cost it would take as compared to wild fish, and after a couple of batches, I thought it was way too much effort (as compared to African cichlids). It's good that clownfish (and other species) have already come onto the market, but with clownfish, people were willing to pay the 5x or 10x prices for these designer species. This was probably the only way the breeders could pay for their overhead.
With this current (likely temporary) ban, it would give the windfall to breeders that they need to expand their capacity and research other species. That I feel is a win win for everyone. Who knows, they could start breeding the purple and gem tang next! And in a few years, hybridized tangs, just imagine, a yellow/gem tang hybrid for only $150-200.
Yes but you literally have people hearing “ban“! And the next day these scumbags are selling their yt because they need room in their tanks or some bs.

Yes but you literally have people hearing “ban“! And the next day these scumbags are selling their yt because they need room in their tanks or some bs.
Yeah I agree with you, I think it's nuts to ask more than $100 for a yellow tang if you're a fellow reefer. You know for dam sure you didn't pay no $200 for it, so technically your motive is to make a quick buck on it because of the situation. I mean on average if you bought a yellow tang prior to 2021 you most likely paid between $40-80 for it.

when is this sale going on
Until they're out of stock, I called to ask and I actually went there today. I can say majority of them are eating but some do have a pinched belly so cherry pick your tang. The purple tangs are pretty small (half dollar sized) but cute, some signs of HLLE on some so again, cherry pick. Overall, this store was shocking in a good way, when you walk in on the left they have a ton of fully established reef tanks it looks like and they do sell coral out of them. There's a bunch of fish to pick from, some show sized ones as well. The coolest thing was a golden back trigger which I've never seen in person before, very impressive. Check it out!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: