Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
Hey All,

Wondering if anyone has successfully kept reef tanks while pursuing higher education like dental, medical, or law school.

Some logistics I’m considering: moving around apartments, limited time constraints, and not having the chance to handle things if they go south (major distraction), and back to the student budget haha

Little bit about me: Started reefing when I was eleven years old thanks to my father. Fell in love with our purple tang, and it really hooked me in. I always stuck to the basics with all my setups - no dosing or anything crazy like calcium reactors. Just simple water changes. I recently got back into the hobby about a year and half ago, and I now have a filled 50 gallon reef. It was running smoothly until I got hit by cyano recently. I also lost all my fish to velvet. What I’ve come to realize is the hobby can be very time consuming and taxing - especially when things go wrong. It’s great when everything is running smoothly, but thet doesn’t last forever necessarily.

Below are some pictures of my tanks. The 60 cube is from my highschool days back in 2013. The other two tanks are my recent tanks.

Curious to see if anyone has successfully kept reefs while in professional school, and how it went.

Attachments

• 27FC22B1-54FC-4EFC-B53F-AC57F62BFA61.jpeg
    27FC22B1-54FC-4EFC-B53F-AC57F62BFA61.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 0
  • B05C03AE-85F8-4086-9963-E156B86E318B.jpeg
    B05C03AE-85F8-4086-9963-E156B86E318B.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FE78695F-DAC1-413F-89EB-01DD2073B552.jpeg
    FE78695F-DAC1-413F-89EB-01DD2073B552.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 0

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
It’s not easy… I’m the summers I work physical labor 12-14 hours a day, lift in the morning at 430/5 or 10pm at night ..
I observe the tank and ate change/clean glass on e a week.. it came be very difficult but doable.. I also have 4 kids, and run 2 businesses along w brain a teacher.. I wouldn’t race it for the world, but the hard part is when thing go wrong,, currently tank has been doing well for years and devoting wc time and glass clean in is key,, if you split these things up it can’t be easier,
Hard question to answer as we all handle stress, sleep schedules and so on differently,
Give it a shot!

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Btw there are times I wish I didn’t have the tank.. maybe 10% but I work on it a few min daily and currently it’s a stress reliever, i hate when it becomes a choir.
Would I start all over again if I moved? Probably not.. I like to travel and have way to many hobbies.
To replicate my tank again with all I’ve spent would take me years and a small fortune… I guess it’s all relative.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
Btw there are times I wish I didn’t have the tank.. maybe 10% but I work on it a few min daily and currently it’s a stress reliever, i hate when it becomes a choir.
Would I start all over again if I moved? Probably not.. I like to travel and have way to many hobbies.
To replicate my tank again with all I’ve spent would take me years and a small fortune… I guess it’s all relative.
Thank you for your insight! I commend you for being able to do all that! Maybe its become more of a chore for me since things haven't been going as well as they were. Crazy how things can go downhill overnight. Will try to get it turned around and see how that plays out.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
It’s not easy… I’m the summers I work physical labor 12-14 hours a day, lift in the morning at 430/5 or 10pm at night ..
I observe the tank and ate change/clean glass on e a week.. it came be very difficult but doable.. I also have 4 kids, and run 2 businesses along w brain a teacher.. I wouldn’t race it for the world, but the hard part is when thing go wrong,, currently tank has been doing well for years and devoting wc time and glass clean in is key,, if you split these things up it can’t be easier,
Hard question to answer as we all handle stress, sleep schedules and so on differently,
Give it a shot!
Happen to have a build thread? Would love to check it out!

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Happen to have a build thread? Would love to check it out!
It can definitely go either way.. maybe just keep it simple and not add when you are in school.. I haven’t messed with the tank in a while and now back at it.. I did have a build thread and I got
Lazy w no updates. I do have a Instagram, av_reefs that I update here and there, Im
Not the best w pix and videos.

Jaydontlag_

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
Hey All,

Wondering if anyone has successfully kept reef tanks while pursuing higher education like dental, medical, or law school.

Some logistics I’m considering: moving around apartments, limited time constraints, and not having the chance to handle things if they go south (major distraction), and back to the student budget haha

Little bit about me: Started reefing when I was eleven years old thanks to my father. Fell in love with our purple tang, and it really hooked me in. I always stuck to the basics with all my setups - no dosing or anything crazy like calcium reactors. Just simple water changes. I recently got back into the hobby about a year and half ago, and I now have a filled 50 gallon reef. It was running smoothly until I got hit by cyano recently. I also lost all my fish to velvet. What I’ve come to realize is the hobby can be very time consuming and taxing - especially when things go wrong. It’s great when everything is running smoothly, but thet doesn’t last forever necessarily.

Below are some pictures of my tanks. The 60 cube is from my highschool days back in 2013. The other two tanks are my recent tanks.

Curious to see if anyone has successfully kept reefs while in professional school, and how it went.
What lights are those you have over your recent tank? Is that the nicrew hyper reefs?

I’m in grad school and I work full-time as well so I know the struggle. I’m at the point where the tank is almost on autopilot. But corals are growing so I might just hook up a doser so I don’t have to do as many water changes. For now though all I do is bi-weekly water changes, feed the fish and change filter floss.

Last edited:

Nickolas Davis

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are those you have over your recent tank? Is that the nicrew hyper reefs?

I’m in grad school and I work full-time as well so I know the struggle. I’m at the point where the tank is almost on autopilot. But corals are growing so I might just hook up a doser so I don’t have to do as many water changes. For now though all I do is bi-weekly water changes, feed the fish and change filter floss.
My situation is very similar, I am currently studying for a postgraduate degree. I l adore watching movies about reefs. I also love to watch historical movies in general and one of the last I watched it was a movie about Julia Caesar. I went to the site https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/julius-caesar/ Immediately read more information about him and remember his biography. The movie was quite good.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I kept a 38 gallon freshwater back in college, my suitemate had a 55gallon. It was pretty labor intensive moving out in the summer and moving back in. When I moved back home in the summer, the fish stayed there. As for a reef... if I did, a 20 gallon all in one predator tank, would be easy to keep. I wouldn't bother with any corals, except some soft frags if I had a permanent tank at home and could grab a piece to move to school. Anything that went to school would end up in the garbage. Fish wise, i'd probably keep a frog fish, a lion fish, a box fish, etc, things that aren't reef safe and easily moved.

kanm123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving every year was a major factor in avoiding keeping a tank during that period. The uncertainties about where you will be during summer and winter breaks add even more stress that you may have to move the tank 2+ times a year. With stability being key, that certainly isn't stable.

I missed it a lot during that period of time but I am also finding myself very very appeased being able to do it after. It helps you appreciate what reefing brings to your life!

WTyson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey All,

I had a Reef aquarium during med school and during residency/fellowship I found it a helpful stress reliever

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0

Hey boss, yes they are! I’ve had great results with them to be honest. The timer they released has been a game changer, and it has made my life 10x easier.

What size is your tank?

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
It's hard, I would definitely plan on having to move the tank at least once.
Decided to go with two small 16 gallon nanos on both sides of my desk. Already have an Anenome only tank, so adding another reef on the other end! Decided moving a 70 gallon wouldn’t be ideal.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
I kept a 38 gallon freshwater back in college, my suitemate had a 55gallon. It was pretty labor intensive moving out in the summer and moving back in. When I moved back home in the summer, the fish stayed there. As for a reef... if I did, a 20 gallon all in one predator tank, would be easy to keep. I wouldn't bother with any corals, except some soft frags if I had a permanent tank at home and could grab a piece to move to school. Anything that went to school would end up in the garbage. Fish wise, i'd probably keep a frog fish, a lion fish, a box fish, etc, things that aren't reef safe and easily moved.
I can imagine how hard and annoying it may be. I didn’t keep one in undergrad for the same reason! Going with nanos so hopefully that works out for me.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
Moving every year was a major factor in avoiding keeping a tank during that period. The uncertainties about where you will be during summer and winter breaks add even more stress that you may have to move the tank 2+ times a year. With stability being key, that certainly isn't stable.

I missed it a lot during that period of time but I am also finding myself very very appeased being able to do it after. It helps you appreciate what reefing brings to your life!
Stability is definitely key! Moved this tank to another room at my parents house and lost a colony of candy canes and birdsnest!

Tafiza

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I found solace in a digital oasis—a website that illuminated the path to academic success. It was a virtual repository of wisdom, where the harmonious marriage of research and eloquence gave birth to essays that captivated the mind and stirred the soul. Within this virtual haven, a community of erudite writers stood ready to collaborate, eager to unravel residency personal statement editing service the intricacies of my ideas and weave them into compelling narratives. With their profound insights, impeccable writing skills, and unwavering commitment to quality, my essays flourished, transforming into intellectual endeavors that transcended the boundaries of conventional academia.
Yeah, I was actually trained as a computer programmer.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: