• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Finally the time has come to get back into the hobby and in less than two months I will be moving from my apartment into my house.......can't wait. Anyway I am planning for my next tank and I want to go BIG. 96x48x30 for a total of 600g. I'm waiting for a quote from Coast to Coast Aquarium (getting it thru NYAS) and it will have the front and one side panel in starphire, eurobraced with an external overflow (I don't want to waste any real estate:splitspin). Because of the size I was told that it's better if they will build the tank directly in my basement. Did anyone have ever dealt with CCA? I have seen some of their tank and they looked awsome. As far as the equipment goes I don't have any plans yet so I am open to any kind of suggestions. Please help me planning this tank. Thanks.

JP

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Unless you have a "walk in" basement with double sliding doors, it will have to be build in the basement. Have you thought about how to get it out when you get tire of it or have to move? I would go with something you can carry in and out. Don't skimp on the starphire, at that size of a tank, whats a few hundred bucks more for all three view panels to have the best glass possible?

The external overflow thing is a bit over-rated, unless this is going to be an in-wall tank. And if that's the case, I would rethink the 48" width again. I had a rough time working with a 30" tank from the back of the tank, the extra 18" will require mask and snorkel when you want to get to the front bottom area.

Last edited:

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
wow that is big !!!.
A tank that size would need lots of attention to detail. In a basement you will have to worry about humidity, evaporation and moisture. The humidity caused by a tank that size could easily cause some problems in a basement. you would have to plan out something in order to keep all three problems to a minimum.

Also most people live in a home for approx. 10 years before they want to move on for what ever the reason. selling a home with that size tank built in would be hard pressed.
these are just a few issues, not to put a downer on your parade with these thoughts, just plan accordingly.

peteReef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out Concept Aquarium

I'm in the process of starting my own tank, a 90gal. 3 sided starphire glass tank. The order was placed on 2/18/09. I had gotten a quote from coast to coast, nice work but $$$$. I finally made my decision and went with Concept aquariums, a company located in canada. I got my tank and custom stand with hood, plus shipping (shipping business to business, so was able to save a few $) for about $1300.00 less than coast to coast. And I'm getting a 30 gal. glass refugium with it, which wasn't included in the coast to coast price. I'm not sure if you ordered your tank yet, but try http://www.conceptaquarium.com/ give them a call. Ask to speak to Randy, tell him pete referred you. anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Unless you have a "walk in" basement with double sliding doors, it will have to be build in the basement. Have you thought about how to get it out when you get tire of it or have to move? I would go with something you can carry in and out. Don't skimp on the starphire, at that size of a tank, whats a few hundred bucks more for all three view panels to have the best glass possible?

The external overflow thing is a bit over-rated, unless this is going to be an in-wall tank. And if that's the case, I would rethink the 48" width again. I had a rough time working with a 30" tank from the back of the tank, the extra 18" will require mask and snorkel when you want to get to the front bottom area.

Pierce,

I am pretty sure that the tank needs to be built in the basement. Joe at NYAS said that he needs to take a look at the house first and suggest on the best approach. I am planning to live in that house for at least 15-20 years so when I sell the house the tank comes with it :eek:

I wasn't skimping on the glass but it will be an in-wall with two visibile sides and the back will be painted black so I might use the staphire on the three panels.

Regarding the widht of the tank I like the 48". That will give me enough room to play around with the aquascape.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
wow that is big !!!.
A tank that size would need lots of attention to detail. In a basement you will have to worry about humidity, evaporation and moisture. The humidity caused by a tank that size could easily cause some problems in a basement. you would have to plan out something in order to keep all three problems to a minimum.

Also most people live in a home for approx. 10 years before they want to move on for what ever the reason. selling a home with that size tank built in would be hard pressed.
these are just a few issues, not to put a downer on your parade with these thoughts, just plan accordingly.

Alex,

I thought about all of your issues and I will plan accordingly. The fishroom has a decent size window so I can either have an exhaust or a fan blow out the moisture.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Exhaust of the humid air is key, but you have Joe designing and building the system so I know it will be done correctly.

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Crox.

Sounds like you have a nice area to play with. If you have a look at my tank build thread here it might help you witha few ideas.

Although Joe might be against closed loops, ime they do offer some worthwhile advantages over in-tank circulation devices such as more accesability for maintanance without the need to disturb the tank, less intrusion cosmetically, and less risk to livestock. although admitedly, combined plumbing costs and power consumption can be greater in some cases.

feel free to steal any ideas though or shout if you need any suggestions.

Regards and good luck with your build.

Simon.

oh, Ps: with regards to working on the tank from above/behind...just be aware that anything over 42" wide can be a major headache to work on unless you can gain access to both front and back sides.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Hi Crox.

Sounds like you have a nice area to play with. If you have a look at my tank build thread here it might help you witha few ideas.

Although Joe might be against closed loops, ime they do offer some worthwhile advantages over in-tank circulation devices such as more accesability for maintanance without the need to disturb the tank, less intrusion cosmetically, and less risk to livestock. although admitedly, combined plumbing costs and power consumption can be greater in some cases.

feel free to steal any ideas though or shout if you need any suggestions.

Regards and good luck with your build.

Simon.

oh, Ps: with regards to working on the tank from above/behind...just be aware that anything over 42" wide can be a major headache to work on unless you can gain access to both front and back sides.

Thank you Simon. Right now I am still planning the tank. I will be moving to my house in less than 2 months and only than my project can become serious. Believe I will "steal" many of your ideas but if you want you can make an overseas trip and help me:wink1:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: