• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
it's not very effective if not used in a reactor. Reactors are so cheap that its probably more cost efficient to buy a reactor vs. wasting money on phosban by throwing it in a bag in sump.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
How do I use it without a reactor? Do I just throw the bag in my sump?

Basically. That's what I do -- I make make little balls of GFO or phosphate media out of pantyhose, a few inches in diameter.

You could also make your own 'reactor' by routing your overflow through a larger diameter piece of PVC stuffed with these little balls.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
it's not very effective if not used in a reactor. Reactors are so cheap that its probably more cost efficient to buy a reactor vs. wasting money on phosban by throwing it in a bag in sump.

Generally true, unless your sump is set up in such a way that most of the water flows through one small area. If you can stuff the areas between baffles with balls of media, it works just about as well. :)

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I have bought marco rocks long ago when they first came out. I had the issue of yellow water and an acidic smell back then when curing the rocks. Back then, it took 4+ months to finally cure it so it would stop making the water yellow.

I recently bought from them again for some small rocks, it looks pretty much like how OP pics are, and water didn't discolor. I'm guessing their origins are different since they first came out, but the shape and quality is just as good IMO with less curing time. I'm happy with marco rocks both times I bought overall.

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought marco rocks long ago when they first came out. I had the issue of yellow water and an acidic smell back then when curing the rocks. Back then, it took 4+ months to finally cure it so it would stop making the water yellow.

I recently bought from them again for some small rocks, it looks pretty much like how OP pics are, and water didn't discolor. I'm guessing their origins are different since they first came out, but the shape and quality is just as good IMO with less curing time. I'm happy with marco rocks both times I bought overall.

Correct. Marc only in what, the last year, started selling the Key Largo of which requires no curing as it's mined, not taken from the ocean. The stuff he used to sell, and still has not listed under the Key Largo name, does require curing.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
After cycling the rock, I'm in total agreement with Gresham: this rock is <i>clean</i>. (However, rinse off all the dust, first.) After two weeks after putting some shrimp in to rot, my ammonia was undetectable, my nitrates at 15ppm, and my PO4 at .01. So these rocks aren't phosphate or nitrate bombs.

And they're so nice and lacy. I almost wish they were less clean, though, so they'd grow more algae faster.

Jimm0425

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 50# of marcos Rock in January and had them 'curing' with about 3# of LR from my DT in a 40 gallon tub until last week when I added them to the DT. That also coincided with me using the new salifert PO4 test kit and finding my levels at .25. but the tank didn't yellow at all. Now I'm just waiting for my new GFO reactor from bulk reef to get here on Tuesday.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: