• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Yeah that right 2.5+ !!!!!!
my hana meter only goes up to 2.5
well i have this 500gal FOWLR for almost 12 years with 2'' sand bed that i just removed the sand a week ago. I thought the sand bed was the issue. I do have very minumuim LR (60lbs)and mostly use bioballs in my sump. Well i am converting the tank to reef after i just got ride of my aggresive fish and I am stuck for words how to reduce quick. I used a week ago whole bottle of Brightwekk Phosohate-E removal and that did nothing.
I have been doing 100gal water changes 1x a week

I just finished installing a media reactor and not sure if i should use phosband or Bio pellets?

How do ou know if phosband is saturate in were i should change it?

I know its a stupid question but i want to add Live rock that i am buying from someones tank thats 4 yrs old already but not sure if make worse.

My last result is a 90% water change

i just want to add coral

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Dosing Lanthium Chloride will definitely work. Just be sure to use a 10 micron sock. Some people dose right into the sock. I was shown a neat trick of pouring it directly into the overflow. Bolth methods work. I was told the latter method allows more contact time with water. They will bolth work. And yes I have tried bolth ways.

Last edited:

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Dosing Lanthium Chloride will definitely work. Just be sure to use a 10 micron sock. Some people dose right into the sock. I was shown a neat trick of pouring it directly into the overflow. Bolth methods work. I was told the latter method allows more contact time with water. They will bolth work. And yes I have tried bolth ways.

thane how long does it take using LC and were do i buy it

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
mike i didnt know i can use bio pellts and phosban ban media at the same time.
I don't use them yet, but soon so I've been doing some reading..from my understanding the the pellets are a food source for bacteria to colonize which will take some time to do and phosban is an absorbant which will start as soon as water runs through it...so I don't see a reason why both can't be run until the pellets colonize or continuing running both if high phosphates, nitrates etc are present....maybe someone who is running them can chime and correct me if I'm wrong...

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
You can get Lanthium from pool supply stores. Although this product http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/BW-POE2L.html that you said you used is lanthium Chloride in a nice package. Just diluted and with a nice set of instructions. This should have dropped your phosphates. How did you dose it before ? It will drop your phosphates. Your phosphates are probably so high that it will take days of dosing

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I don't use them yet, but soon so I've been doing some reading..from my understanding the the pellets are a food source for bacteria to colonize which will take some time to do and phosban is an absorbant which will start as soon as water runs through it...so I don't see a reason why both can't be run until the pellets colonize or continuing running both if high phosphates, nitrates etc are present....maybe someone who is running them can chime and correct me if I'm wrong...
You CAN NOT use them in the same reactor. The main reason being the phosban needs replaced when it has absorbed all the phosphates it can handle. The pellets do not get replaced but replinished. You just add new pellets on top of the older pellets. If they were in the same reactor then you would be emptying out the pellets that are established. They take roughly 4 weeks to get the bacteria levels right. So it is either pellets or phosban by itself in one reactor. Also if you run both of them in seperate reactors you are now removing the phosphates the bacteria in the pellets would need to start up. So it would prolong the bacteria becoming established in the reactor with pellets.

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jarret, You know what, take out whatever you have in that tank and place em in a temp tank for like a month. Then empty the tank and start it new! Your probably draining a lot of time and money just to correct this problem. It'll give you time to clean out very well, inspect, and replace plumbing if needed. Nothing is going to work fast anyway. JMO

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
sohal

15''

Attachments

• DSC00637.jpg
    DSC00637.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 242

isgon26

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
420   0   0
+2 it definately drop it some. You have to keep dosing it. You also dont want to drop it to fast. The instructions on the bottle telll you how much to dose. In three day i reduced it from 1.0 to 0. Yours had to be off the charts.

You can get Lanthium from pool supply stores. Although this product http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/BW-POE2L.html that you said you used is lanthium Chloride in a nice package. Just diluted and with a nice set of instructions. This should have dropped your phosphates. How did you dose it before ? It will drop your phosphates. Your phosphates are probably so high that it will take days of dosing

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I agree w/ Harry start from scratch save yourself the headache. Party a Jarret's house everyone gotta bring rodi water! LOL As far as the fish it depends how attached you are to it. But IMO he will most likely destroyyyy any smaller fish you throw in so best bet would be find him a new home. Gorgeous fish though

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: