Paolissimo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I am in the market for an LED fixture. I have tried to do research, but every post I see about which fixture is better is like XBOX 360 vs PS3. Fan boys on both side. Al Sol has been in people houses more then the radion, so the majority of people like them and obviously has kept their animal happy and healthy. The radion has only been out for a few months, and it seems that its a good light. But with any first generation equipment, is expensive and their maker will have to work some of the kinks (software, equipment malfunction and unforeseen issue that hobbyist will find once it gets in more people's hand). Sooo, for me the Al sol wins, just because it's been out more, price is lower, and as far as the animals are concerned, it makes them happy. Mr. Saltwater switched from halides to Radion and he did a semi-hands on test. It worth watching it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZknwUNBfoBU

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My decision was based on cost. Both lights are awesome but the AI was considerably less than the Ecotech.

My opinion is that the decision is up to the individual.

Again I went with cost over all else. The light and the controller cost are considerably less.

mikejrice

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own and run both, and they are both awesome lighting systems. Radions are amazing lights that can do more than most others out there, but sols have to be hands down the most you can possibly get for your money after the price drop.

As for the radion coming down in price, I wouldn't hold your breathe. Just like ecotech vortechs, if they continue to sell, we won't be seeing lowered prices any time soon.

Have you given the ai Vega any thought? I would be willing to wager that it will be a lot more feature packed than what we saw at macna, and at $500 a pop, I think it could be king for awhile.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk, so excuse my bad spelling and grammer.

nickyJ

New Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My understanding and I could definitely be wrong is that the Vega is effectively a larger AI nano ... its got the cool white leds instead of the warm whites they used to use. Definitely gonna be a nice light but almost sure its gonna be just Blue & White leds. (which we know grow corals just fine) also I read somewhere 70 degree optics and fully wireless.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Radions can be bought half priced on a few other sites. They just dont compare to AI at all. And they are way overpriced. Sold both of mine after a week for the price of one.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I did massive amounts of research on both the Vega and the Radions with the new TIR lenses.
For deeper larger tanks like mine, Radions hands down
If you have a small tank I would go with a vega if your only using 1 or 2. so you can save money. If money is no object, i would still go Radion.
I just pulled the trigger on 8 Radions with TIR lenses to replaces my 8 400 watt MH's
and 8 vho T5's. I dont think there was any other choice for me but the Radions for depth, spread, light controlabity, spectrum controlability and programming different programs all by computer. Ill be just happy to cut my energy by 75% and my chillers by 100%. btw, I need the red lights on the radions as i like to veiw my tank at night with only the red lights on. also, the red and green DO make the corals pop in color more than halides alone even with actinic suppliments.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: