Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I just got it.
Went back and fourth a couple times with Chris @ saltwater smarts. Apparently the digital copy kept going to my spam folder.

I have it now, but working 15-18 hr. Days this week. You remember those days Paul? Before the boats and supermodels?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just got it.
Went back and fourth a couple times with Chris @ saltwater smarts. Apparently the digital copy kept going to my spam folder.

I have it now, but working 15-18 hr. Days this week. You remember those days Paul? Before the boats and supermodels?

OMG, don't say that "W" word. I wasted so many years of my life doing that. It gives me chills just imagining it.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Getting back to immunity, I am not sure if I mentioned this (more than 8 times) but when I was 20 I was stationed in Viet Nam. Not in Saigon or some other relatively clean place, but the jungle. Just like Tarzan movies but without Jane although I am not sure if any of the numerous of monkeys were named Jane. If you don't know anything about a jungle I will tell you. In the rainy season, when it is not raining, it is raining harder. In the (very short) dry season, everything is covered in red dust. Especially when a helicopter lands near you which happens maybe 5 times an hour and you are covered in sweat because it rarely gets below 95 degrees (not that I had a thermometer or anything else) and you spend your "free" time filling sand bags, (and swatting bugs or shooting snakes,) you look just like Sasquatch because red dust is caked all over you. So you go and take a " shower." Oh, but wait, you have no water, or shower, or anything that resembles a shower (unless it is the rainy season and you are up to your waist in it, and leaches) so you wait to take a shower. You wait for the day you leave the country which happens after a year. We didn't have a few things you normally have in civilization. Things like a roof, walls, floors, tent, electricity, plumbing, water (unless it is raining) bed, real food (we ate C-Rations) or underwear. That is correct, they didn't give us underwear, they didn't give us that because when it remains wet for a year, it rots. Why am I saying all this? No, I don't want you to join the Army, but it would be a noble thing to do and I am sure the conditions are now better. I am telling you this to show that the human immune system is a fantastic innovation, especially when it is allowed to do it's job. People now walk around with that silly bottle of hand sanitizer, and do you know who are the people who are always sick? Correct, the people with the hand sanitizer. Our bodies were built to handle dirt, bacteria and viruses. Go to any Natural History Museum and look at Primitive Man. See if you notice any of them holding hand sanitizer. In most museums, you won't see that. Cave men were well equipped to handle germs and the occasional Woolly Mammoth tusk stuck in their arm pit. I spent an entire year in that jungle and never got sick. I slept in the mud every night (when you had time to sleep) I never washed my hands, as the little "clean" water you had was for drinking. That "clean" water came from a river. When we ate, which was any time we were hungry and we had C-rations, helicopters would land, covering our food with dirt. It didn't matter and made the C-Rations taste a little better. If we were going to stay at that LZ (clearing in the jungle) for more than a few days the helicopters sometimes sprayed the surrounding vegetation (and us) with bug killer (probably DDT) and Agent Orange. When we found ourselves in water, which happened quite often we burned leeches off ourselves with cigarettes that came free in our C-Rations (which by the way were put in the can before I was born)
While in Viet Nam, I never got sick, nothing. Not a cold, Fly, headache, rash, food poisoning, ich, nothing. Why was that? It was because my immune system was up to the task. Before going to a place like that they gave us shots for plague, parrot fever, jungle fever and a number of things I can't spell. That is because we Americans have never been exposed to those things and our immune system was not prepared. The local people there had no shots and they looked mighty healthy to me. For the rest of the illnesses like colds, flu, sore throat etc, I never got that because before going to Nam, my basic training was conducted in mud which built up my bodies defenses.
We in this hobby need to change our thinking about keeping fish healthy. Sterility, long quarantining, antibiotics and siphoning the sand bed is not the answer. Strengthening the fishes immune system "is" the answer and the only answer if you want to keep your fish alive and healthy in a natural way where they are immune from everything except a broken heater or a Supermodel with a bottle of copper and no test kit.
This is a "friend" I met there. He ate rats which were like ants here. They were all over everything. When we were, shall we say, "in the bathroom". (Which had no bath and wasn't a room) we would take M-16 rounds, remove the projectile and fill it with soap to shoot them while they tried to climb up on our feet. This way, we didn't blow off our feet.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
A little more on immunity if anyone is interested. This stuff fascinates me almost as much as Supermodels.
A fishes epidermis consists of, besides other things, various types of unicellular glands some of which are goblet or mucous (slime) glands. These glands secrete slime. (other parts of fish also produce slime) Slime is a major part of the fishes immune system.

Besides secreting slime, the epidermis produces keratocytes. These motile keratocytes can cover the surface of a wound in hours after it's formation adding bacterial resistance to the wound and helping new cells to grow. This is the reason fish appendages, such as fins can re- grow.

Skin mucus evolved to trap and immobilize most bacteria and pathogens including parasites. This mucus is constantly shed, eliminating most pathogens and is immediately replaced.

The thickness of the slime is regulated in part by the stressers put on the animal such as temperature or stress. Copper, that we often use to treat fish would also cause the fish to produce more mucus there by helping the fish to eliminate the pest as well as to help kill it.

Interestingly a different type of mucus is produced for several days after a fish is stressed composed of a gel like material. It is unknown weather this gel has the same antibacterial and anti parasitic properties of the normal slime. This last statement has not been qualified on "all" types of fish as it has not been tested but it is interesting to me because I believe quarantining fish in a small tank would elicit this response making the fish more susceptical to infection. This is only a thought on my part and not something I discovered through research.

There are many more ways a fish has immunity to pathogens but they all have one thing in common. They require energy in the form of food. I know I have said it numerous times, but almost none of our fish are fed enough or correctly which is the reason for so many disease threads. With all the help fish get from their vast, complicated immune system, they should never get sick. If they do, it is our fault, not the store, not the wholesaler and not the fish.

We supply the living conditions, the stress and the food and most of us are not very good at it. Fish in our care should live out their normal lives, disease free and they should also be producing eggs, and if they are in the proper tank, spawning.

If our fish are not spawning, their immune system is not functioning and they are susceptible to all sorts of infections.

Feeding fish correctly is easy as I have mentioned many times. We have an obligation to keep these creatures in the state of health that they were living in, in the sea.

Just my opinion of course.

Reference:

ISRN ImmunologyVolume 2012 (2012), Article ID 853470, 29 pageshttp://dx.doi.org/10.5402/2012/853470

Review Article

An Overview of the Immunological Defenses in Fish Skin

Mar?a ?ngeles Esteban

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
There was a Doctor on TV this week who must have read this thread (yeah right) because he was talking about eating dirt to enhance your immunity and why so many people get sick now. Of course I related this to fish.
I read everything this man wrote then googled "Eat Dirt" and found a wealth of information on why eating dirt is good for you. No, don't go out and eat dirt, read the article first. But what he says and what I read on a few more places on the subject.
Also this from the American Medical Association a couple of months ago:

?Countless studies have found children who spend recess time in a green environment, rather than on cement or blacktop, perform better on tests in the classroom, have reduced symptoms of ADHD and stress, and lower risk of obesity,? she says. ?They?re also more likely to have perfect vision than those who spend most of their time indoors.?
- See more at: http://www.lifescript.com/health/ce...aner_bill_of_health.aspx#sthash.WOkFbtIv.dpuf

There are data that say our immune system and bodies in general, function best when exposed to not only microbes, or organisms, but also to diversity too. That has to come not only from a diverse diet, but also the environment. Quite simply, our kids need to go out and play in the dirt.

For example, regular use of bleach is associated with more ? not fewer ? infections in kids, according to a 2015 study published in Occupational & Environmental Medicine. ?Children aren?t as healthy as they once were or as they could be,? she says. ?I?ve observed more incidences of chronic illness and health issues like allergies, diabetes and neuropsychiatric issues.? - See more at: http://www.lifescript.com/health/ce...aner_bill_of_health.aspx#sthash.WOkFbtIv.dpuf "

The Data goes on and on. I feel and have always felt that we keep our tanks much to clean and our fish food much to sterile. New research suggests this and you can find it all over the place.
I believe it because I am an outdoor kind of a guy and always have been. I never believed you have to wash your hands every time you eat unless you just got off the New York City Subway system because that is not dirt. That is bubonic plague, typhoid, diphtheria and any number of social diseases, but if you were just working in the garden or you just helped a Supermodel jump start her car, those germs won't hurt you. (unless the Supermodel just got off the subway and that is not likely to happen because Supermodels would never ride in a subway)
As I have said numerous times feeding live worms and other foods that have not been sterilized is the reason my fish are immune from (so far) everything. It is the "dirt" and associated bacteria and parasites that are the secret.
I feel we should keep our fish away from foods that claim that they are free from parasites and harmful organisms.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This morning my wife and I were discussing how we lived when we were much younger and how the world has changed. My Dad and her Dad had retail stores. My dad had a fish market and just like her dad and everyone with a food market there was piles of saw dust on the floor. The cutting boards were wood, the knife handles were wood and the fish, and meat came in wooden crates as plastic was not available then. I am talking about the fifties.
I used to play in the back yard of our fish market and shoot flies with a rubber band. We also had live carp and eels in old bath tubs.
At the end of the week my Dad would sweep the floor and throw out all the old, fish scale infested sawdust and put down clean sawdust. Every night he would clean, using soap and bleach the knives and cutting boards.

Today, you are not allowed to use saw dust, wooden handled knives or cutting boards probably because of lawyers. I am sure someone, some where got sick and saw dust was blamed just like coffee can't be hot any more.
But it was the saw dust, cutting boards and wooden knife handles as well as numerous other things that enhanced our immune systems.
I was always an out doors kid and cut myself many times. I would rinse it off in a puddle or pond and go about my business never thinking about it.
I had an uncle that worked at the docks in NYC, one of the roughest places on Earth at that time. He got stabbed in the belly twice when 3 guys tried to mug him. (the muggers didn't fare very well) My Uncle wrapped the wounds in the same rag he cleaned eels with and lived to be about 90 never seeing a doctor or dentist in his life.
When my Mom would get a cold as a kid, her Mother would make her sleep in the horse stables thinking the smell of horse poop would cure her. (my Mom was born in lower Manhattan in 1910) My Mother lived to be 99 years old, she died of old age and was never sick and never even took an aspirin. How many people today could say that?

The point of this is that today how many kids do you know with allergies? How many kids are allergic to peanuts? How many kids are home from school with colds?
How many people in their 60s or 70s can you name with allergies?
Probably very few. As a kid no one in my school had any allergies and we all ate peanuts. I always got an attendance award because I was never out sick. I think in the 40 years I worked as a construction worker in Manhattan I was out maybe 3 or 4 times from being sick and never for having a cold, allergy or anything else except maybe a broken bone or disk problem.
That is IMO because I was brought up in a natural environment surrounded by bacteria and never having access to that silly sterilizing hand spray that people today feel they have to take baths in.
I still almost never get a cold, flu or any silly infection.
The little kids in My Grand Daughter's school almost all have some sort of allergy. My Grand Daughter is allergic to everything and half the kids in her school are allergic to something. Peanuts are outlawed in many restaurants and schools.
Kids today, (Like fish) get all sorts of things and in some homes it is an adventure waking up to see if the kids have some sort of infection.

I feel this is a big problem in our fish tanks and the biggest cause of all the posts on disease threads.
This is also why I go to a muddy bay and collect mud to throw in my tank. If I didn't live by the sea, I would throw regular dirt in there as I did when I started my tank.
I also feel we have to start thinking of bacteria as a good thing instead of a bad thing.
Just my thoughts of course and not meant to be taken as fact. Just an observation that is obvious to anyone who is a lot older than most fish people.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i was talking to someone yesterday about how tangs are ick magnets he told me that he had the same problems with his powder blue until he started supplementing his feedings with ginger powder i dont know if its hog wash or not but its worth a try if and when my fish get ick just a thought.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Too many people are cringing when they read about dirt. A few weeks ago we were at a bar be cue at my friends house and my Daughter's friend had here baby there. I saw the baby on the grass eating grass and dirt so I told her Mother who is a school principal. She surprised me by saying, I don't stop her from doing that because I want to boost her immune system. Now that Mom is 38 years old and I was so surprised to hear that answer. I mean, I believe it but most young people go crazy if they see a baby put something dirty in their mouth.

If you go to a museum, look at the cave Man exhibit and see if you can see any of them holding that sanitizing hand spray. In most cases you won't see that and cave men (and girls) got along just fine. The ones that died young was because of that saber tooth tiger problem they had and the fact that if they wanted a hamburger, they had to take down a 2,000lb mastodon using a stick and harsh language.
Kids growing up today are in big trouble which is why you can't get an appointment to see a doctor for 6 months. So many more people are sick these days and we didn't get any of this stuff.

It's hard to cut yourself or get dirty playing with an I Pad inside a sterile house or texting your friend about a new Net flex movie or computer game.
We used to go to this lot that had construction debris in it and throw 8' fluorescent tubes at each other. They smashed all over us and so far, no one got cancer or glows in the dark. We also had a rope swing there where most of us broke an arm or leg, but never got sick. I would wade through huge puddles in the mud catching tadpoles then drink the water from the lake. Never got sick.

I spent a year in the jungle in Nam, never got sick.
Every few months we would get hot ice cream and it would be melted in the bottom of the canvas that was slung below a helicopter. We would push away the gunpowder, bugs, mud, and lizards and scoop out the ice cream with our helmits and drink it as that was a treat. Never got sick.
I did lose my hair but many real Men don't need hair. I'm bringing Sexy back. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: