• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Why get nasty and jumpy over switch and how he runs his setup.

No one is getting nasty over the way he runs his setup. He can do what he wants. The issue is with posts containing incorrect or misleading information.

I never once said that he was wrong in the way he ran his setup. I also never stated that his turf scrubber was a waste of time.

The nice thing about MR is that the information on the site tends to be useful. It remains this way because people will correct errors. I'll argue something like this because I don't want to see this site become RC where someone will say "I put all copper pipes in and look I'm fine" and have people try it.

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol im that type of guy i will try it sure why not and i love 2 b different i am a in ur face kind of person maybe y some of my post came across a lil ruff but i feel it i stand up 4 it

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i know tapwater is different all over why i didnt push that real hard yes i agree beerfish The nice thing about MR is that the information on the site tends to be useful. It remains this way because people will correct errors. I'll argue something like this because I don't want to see this site become RC where someone will say "I put all copper pipes in and look I'm fine" and have people try it. y i started this

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
switch420, I'm in support of your questioning the "need" for a skimmer, for the most part. Like most had said, it boils down to the nutrient import/export equilibrium. In your case, you're using an algae scrubber instead of an unnecessarily "expensive" skimmer. There are pros and cons to every filtration method.

My optimistic side is assuming that you're not attacking skimmer users, but just trying to show fellow reefers there's another way to do things. Just be careful with your word choices.

One more thing... I've been guilty of using bad grammar on my post before... but you need to use some periods, good sir! Hurts my head reading your very, very, very long run-on sentences. Happy reefing.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Just be careful with the way you word things. Saying:

"I run a skimmerless system and think it works well but would like to discuss it"

is a lot different than saying that

"skimmers are a waste of money and RO/DI is a myth"

When I see a statement like that, I will make sure that everyone knows it's incorrect.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Looks like Sharkbait gets a nomination for a peace prize for his diplomatic skills in this thread. :splitspin Switch, google your city water and you should be able to find a report for most of what is in your water. I did it for my water and i found out that it has elevated but acceptable levels of radio active material in it (cant remember what it was). Yum. Bottled water it is then.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So now that all the drama is over... Let me ask a few questions to try to expand my knowledge on the topic.

If you fail to maintain the scrubber (regular cleaning), what is the likely outcome? Will it just stop functioning properly, or will it return NO3 and PO4 to the water, causing a spike? In addition, what would happen if the screen somehow fell into the water and went unnoticed for a day (or a few days).

Does the waterfall effect with the added heat from the lights significantly effect your evaporation rate, and if so, are you running an ATO to compensate for this?

Skimmers produce a huge number of bubbles which help oxygenate the water. While the waterfall produces some agitation, has anyone checked O2 levels in the tank when running one over the other?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: