SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gal with a 30 gal plumbed together i stopped using my skimmer before i set up the algae scrubber was reading a lot on them for a while and watching other tanks that have them my skimmer never worked right for more than 20 mins anyway i have NO SKIMMER on my tank only do a 2-5 gallon water change every week and dose a lil calcium strontium iodide in the 90 i have 22 fish all on the small side the tangs are the biggest in the 30 gal i have 12 fish i feed heavy 3 times a day also all kinds of coral and a lt nem and my tanks are great all in check temp is 80 1.024 2 250 mh lights 0 nitrates 0nitrites so if skimmers are a MUST HAVE why does my set up work without one??? ???oh and another MYTH i feel is ro di i use STRAIGHT TAP WATER but thats for another post

Attachments

• DSCN0539.JPG
    DSCN0539.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 703
  • DSCN0544.JPG
    DSCN0544.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 708

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Well you are using a Algae Turf Scrubber right? That's why you haven't had any problems and you do weekly water changes same reason for your tap.

Skimmers take out the solids right away without giving it much of a chance to breakdown without releasing anything into the tank.

RODI's are not useless. Depending on the corals you keep it can be very sensitive to it. Or the reason could be that you have good water in your area or if you live in a building/complex there could be internal filtration already set up.

Don't mean to rain on your parade. Everybody's system works differently and glad you have one that does work fine without the skimmer. Also in my opinion water changes every week are too much work... so I use the extra filtration because I am lazy and that works for me lol.

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

What kind of corals you have???? A skimmer is a must on a SPS tank and so is the RODI. I really cant see much form your pics but it looks like u are running a softies tank. Soft corals are pretty hardy anyone can run a softie tank the way u are running your tank I really wouldnt recomend it on a sps tank. JMO..

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are some small sps frags in the tank i live in a old house in nj no filter on the tap water i just feel skimmers remove more good than bad also ran the tank for a few months with out the skimmer and turf scrubber

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
No controversy or shock here. You are running a system that operates on different principles than relying on a skimmer. In essence, your turf algae is performing the duties for you that a skimmer would ( over simplification but essentially true).

As noted, there are several proven methods of maintaining healthy and thriving reef systems, the key is understanding the the strengths and weaknesses of each approach and compensating accordingly.

Skimmers are usually recommended as "Must have" pieces of equipment because the methodology is straightforward and by far the largest number of hobbyists have had long-term success using them.
All but 1 of my systems is skimmerless and I rely on optimized Chaetomorpha growth for waste removal. Still, I recommend to beginners to start with a skimmer until they get a feel for things.

Last edited:

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
2 questions to you, how long has your system been setup? have you checked the TDS count on your tapwater?

Answering/Regarding your questions, if you were to do a survey of all the successful (read: long term, good coral growth) reeftanks, I think you would find that the vast majority have combinations of good source water, good maintenance habits and knowledgeable keepers. This is not to say people cannot be successful without all of those things, it is just the norm.

Reefkeeping is an individual thing, if it works for you and you (and your tank) are happy that is all that matters.

Personally, I have spent way too much on tanks and corals to let my crappy tap water contribute to any problems. I do a 25% water change weekly and am in the market for a skimmer.

Good luck, I hope your tank stays healthy and you don't learn the hard way how it feels to lose $$$ when things die.

James

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Switch,

I think people neeed to be careful how they read posts like these. WHile many people believe the more expensive mechanical filtration is a must, some other do not believe it is and often prove why.

It shouldn't be construed as an across the board, you don't need this piece of equipment or that piece of equipment, rather an educated approach to maintaining your reef. In a second I could put you in a place in NJ where if you did what you did, you'd be overrun by nuisance algae.

Point being, as ANT outlined, what ARE the factors that are attributed to your success? - and a nice one I may add.

Scrubber is definitely one of them. I am planning on building one of these for my fish and coral hold system (390g) - from my reading, I have found them to be very effective method of exporting phosphates and some nutrients, however, I have fish coming in and out all the time - what is the level of acceptance, in gallons and skimmer volume where this would be successful. What I mean is, the combination of water change volume and bacteria and nutrient export in your system is what is making it successful. Many people can't find that sweet spot, often overload their systems with fish nad corals and NEED a skimmer or have to do larger water changes - it's like obesity for reefs and thier keepers :)

I'd be curious to know more scientific information about your reef - nutrient levels (bioload) actual test readins across the board, TAP TDS, which test kits you're using etc.

That would be helpful to those keeing a reef similar to yours. Look forward to hearing more about your system.

Jim

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought the whole set up it was up for 3 years i had it up for over a year no clue what my tds reading are and yes its a individual thing but if u dont have to waste money on somthing thats not really needed plus the cost of a pump ect your talking a few hundred easy one less thing to worry about just my 2 cent

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
if u dont have to waste money on somthing thats not really needed plus the cost of a pump ect your talking a few hundred easy one less thing to worry about just my 2 cent

None of us are in this hobby to save money. If you're looking for a cheap hobby, pickup knitting or something.

That said, the cost of my time is a huge factor. A turf scrubber requires a lot more maintenance then a skimmer. I tend to empty my skimmer cup weekly, but don't have to pull off a screen, clean it and return it to my tank. You could say that an auto top off isn't needed for a tank, but I only have to fill my top off container once a week, instead of topping off daily.

If it works for you... great, but generally speaking, a skimmer is a requirement. If you want to argue that it's not, go ahead. Hell, I could argue that powerheads are a waste, since a surge or dump bucket system could be used instead and probably cost less, but I don't want my living room to sound like a toilet. Oh and controllers... totally useless. I could just make sure I'm ALWAYS home to turn my lights on and off, in addition to the other things they do.

So there we go. Skimmers, powerheads, and especially controllers, are trash right? Don't waste your money.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Cool. I also run a skimmerless tank, but it's a very young system. The inhabitants are surviving, but I don't know for sure if they're thriving.

With that said, I would still recommend a skimmer to everyone I know just starting out.

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tangs are in the 90 beerfish why cant u enjoy this hobby and not piss money away if u like spending money for no reason i will give u my paypal address u can send it 2 me lol honestly its that type of attuide that keeps people away from this hobby why it took me a while before getting into saltwater its not all about spending money on equipment its about diy and research research and more research

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I do enjoy the hobby. I don't think I'm wasting money on my equipment if it means a more stable tank with less effort. It's the same reason I'll spend money on an electric drill instead of just buying a hand drill. Do you use a washing machine or do your wash by hand? Is a washing machine a waste of money?

My time is valuable to me, and I'd rather spend it feeding my fish, and looking at my tank than staring at a turf scrubber or my sump.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Agreed, if and only if the conditions you seek for your tank can support this decision/investment.

I have a customer in NJ just north of patterson whose TDS errors out a handheld meter (that reading is over 500 tds)

Additionally, depending on your local treatment facility, what is being added may not be a root cause for algae.

I think what you're missing here is that everyone on this thread is interested in what are the success factors that are keeping your tank stable. least that's what I am after

House

QUOTE=SWITCH420;685433]i bought the whole set up it was up for 3 years i had it up for over a year no clue what my tds reading are and yes its a individual thing but if u dont have to waste money on somthing thats not really needed plus the cost of a pump ect your talking a few hundred easy one less thing to worry about just my 2 cent[/QUOTE]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: