• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Not really, but they can become a nitrate factory if stuff starts to decompose. I know damn well I won't be changing them everyday, but I'll try.

I'll order them monday, they should be here thursday or Friday.

BC

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yes they are for the return line coming into the sump. they catch all the big pieces of poo that goes over the overflow.
and they are washable.
I would not put them in with my clothes though ;)

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
dammmm..put me in for bout 10...

is the micro 50 good ...I have the micro 100 and hate it because is slowing down my water and screwing up my durso....

i just buy two micro 100 for $15

[ May 13, 2005, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Melt ]

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
These are the same ones that were group bought for the LIRA. someof the users use these and then wash them with a capful of bleach, two rinses. They let them dry and use them again.

Since I haven't ordered, put down how many you want. I'll order that many.

Also, I'm going to have to design a holder for them. I've got scrap acrylic around here somewhere. I may just have to put a certain lazer cutter to work!

BC

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Depending on your return flow, they can last anywhere from 3 days to a week (at least the 100 micron ones).
Dropping them in a washing machine cycle with about a quarter to a half cup of bleach and two rinse cycles and letting them air dry afterwards have worked well for me.
They will last about 4 to 5 months of weekly washes.

Also, are you guys sure you want the 50 micron bags? I think they will clog up much quicker than the 100 micron bags that are pretty much the standard for filter bags.

[ May 14, 2005, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: pecan2phat ]

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey BC I was looking on RC, it seems most people use the 100's, you sure you want to get the 50's? you might have to change them twice a day.

can we see how many people want 50's and 100's?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Originally posted by bad coffee:
These are the same ones that were group bought for the LIRA. BC
The GB that we did over at LIRA were the 4 1/2" x 7" 100 micron bags which in my opinion were too short for optimum use.

I would order the size 4 bags which are 4 1/2" x 14" 100 micron bags the next time around.

Also these are single stitched bags vs the ones I bought from marine depot.

The price vs quality is a toss up.

For example, the #4 bags from MD is $6 but is a thicker felt and double stitched which makes a difference in the long run after x amount of washes. The double stitch also applies to where the felt is stitched to the plastic ring.
These areas will usually start to loose it's stitch but you can buy 3 of the filterbags.com ones (single stitched) for the price of a single quality bag from MD.

[ May 14, 2005, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: pecan2phat ]

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
if we are voting on what size i prefer the smaller bag and 100 micron but ill go with whatever for this cheap ill give them a try

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I just cut and pasted the link. I'll definately switch to the 100 micron.

I'm ordering 4x7 becasue anything bigger is too big for my sump. I have two of the ones from MD and they are nice. But they're way too big for my sump. (you guys will see at the barbecue!)

My second thought was getting the matereal and making a bunch. My roommate has a sewing machine, and I know how to sew. So I could make a bunch.

But I'm lazy. and for $3 each, why not just buy them!

BC

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: