• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well said BB. I believe that instead of spending large amounts of money paying divers to collect rare species we as hobbyists should be supporting the efforts of companies like Proaquatix, Ocean Rider, ORA, and C-Quest. Enough with the wild collecting already :irked:

joe I'm not singling you out, this is my ever growing concern for out hobby, and what's left of the worlds reefs.

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Aaron, i agree that the dragons are from Aussie waters. I'm not questioning that. I don't feel they should be collected, but a certain number are collected to give zoos & public aquariums a shot at breeding them. As I said this company mainly deals with public aquariums, and special permits are needed to collect & export the Dragons. As of this, I do not believe it to be commercial. I know everything is legit because I was referred to the company by a public aquarium. If it was not legit I would think that they would have trouble exporting them with proper packing lists and would be closed by now.

Jimmy, thanks for the links. I understand what I am buying & the reason things are 'rare'. I don't suggest anyone purchase any of the things that are rare because they are very low in the wild population.

joe

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
John, you are right to an extent. But I would like fish that aren't inbred and different, because they are mutated at some fish factory. Singling out certain genes is IMO irresponsible, as nature would've taken these fish right to their deaths. Tell me, should we be supporting companies who are cross breeding different Genus, or what? I'm all for aquaculture, but some things would never be aquacultured or bred if we didn't have the fish to begin with.

joe

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I even turned our members into fish killers:sgrin:

PS....there are 4 mods in that pic..LOL

Attachments

• Manhattan Reefs Charter.jpg
    Manhattan Reefs Charter.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 137

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
joetbs said:
John, you are right to an extent. But I would like fish that aren't inbred and different, because they are mutated at some fish factory. Singling out certain genes is IMO irresponsible, as nature would've taken these fish right to their deaths. Tell me, should we be supporting companies who are cross breeding different Genus, or what? I'm all for aquaculture, but some things would never be aquacultured or bred if we didn't have the fish to begin with.

joe

are you referring to those crazy clown fish?

once people start breeding something they invariably have to go mucking about and trying to make new things. look at all the dog and cat breeds that have been "invented" over the years.
I would rather have companies successfully breed fish for hobbyists tanks than continue to take them from the reefs. the way our hobby is growing the reefs will not have much more to give.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
jackson6745 said:
I even turned our members into fish killers:sgrin:

PS....there are 4 mods in that pic..LOL

catching fish to eat and taking fish off the reef in schools for the ornemantal trade is different.
don't make me start posting "save the whale" articles, :lol: F'ing Japanese and their whaling industry.
Save the Reef's :cool3:

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Hey I look great ... How did this thread turn into a debate ?? Do you want the fish or dont you? Yes or no ?? Come on people. I didn't know you guys worked for the DEC now. Something so simple. Questions about the legality were raised and answered. Then you go into why should we bother catching fish in the first place that blah blah blah...

I will take one of each. I like mine steamed with dill and lemon butter sauce. ;)

Kasei

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Pseudo said:
Hey I look great ... How did this thread turn into a debate ?? Do you want the fish or dont you? Yes or no ?? Come on people. I didn't know you guys worked for the DEC now. Something so simple. Questions about the legality were raised and answered. Then you go into why should we bother catching fish in the first place that blah blah blah...

I will take one of each. I like mine steamed with dill and lemon butter sauce. ;)

Kasei

i agree with you on that kasei, if people want the fish take the chance with joe, and stop questioning how can he get them.

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey Alvin. I only see Sepia Latimanus eggs. Were these what you're looking for? There is live arrival guarantee, but be aware cuttles ship awful, though the eggs ship good from what I've read.

joe

IconicAquariums

Iconic Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Alvin, still got the RO/DI, i'll let you know when i'll be down there. Gotta pick up the cooler too.

E. Morsei needs really cold water(last column) and is only 2cm. M. Prefferi is expensive, $225. Both these animals are actually Squid too, not cuttles. Cool looking squid though :)

Eggs from Sepia would be $35, though it doesn't say if it's a single or a clump. They seem fairly easy to raise(look through the Cephalapod forum on RC, i forget the guys link, daisycuttlefarms or something)

joe

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
joetbs said:
I have no problem discussing all this stuff, but you guys are preaching to the choir. ...John, some of those fish/dogs/cats are insane. It's amazing what we humans do to this world.

I agree with you people do some messed up things when it comes to nature.
We are only years away from seeing something like this for our tanks.

Dave both you and Kasei missed my point completely or are ignoring it.

And if someone thinks there something is wrong with anything being sold here they can question it.

sorry Joe.

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
No Just ignoring it ;) Didn't miss the point and discussion is freely accepted. Wasn't just going against any specific comment either. Just wasn't the point of the post and defered away from the posters agenda. This could have been taken to an OT post for all of these comments after points were addressed about where, when, how and why ?

Is that a Steve clown ??

Kasei

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: