Zoous

Real Estate and Reefs
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I recently notice I have flatworms in my tank. Now during these past few weeks I got a blue anthellia colony, montipora frag and some zoo and palythoa frags. I thought they only affect mushrooms. Can someone give me an answer.

Thanks.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Do they look like this?

They're harmless until they die off...releasing toxins into the water. I had them and used Flatworm Exit to get rid of them. I just didn't like the look of all those flatworms on my glass.

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I had a flatworm problem last year. I kept siphon them out every other day and thus for about a month. They finally all disappeared.

If you choose to use flatworm exit, be prepared to do a big water change after that.

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
BTW, according to some experts, fish that definitely eats flatworm is Leopard Wrasse.

EDIT to avoid confusion, no link related. THanks Tony.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
marrone said:
There are no definitely in any fish or invert eating some pest. Some times they will a lot of times they wouldn't.

Absolutely, 100% agreement here. Anyone who tells you 'definitely' is not to be believed.

Also, I'd like to add, if you get a fish that does eat FW's, there is no way for it to keep up with the reproduction of them. They will spread to plague proportions. I've seen them completely cover some corals to the point that the coral got no light and perished.

I've treated for them once. I recommend the FWE route, IF DONE PROPERLY.

swimmer

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
romain said:
Michael, I agree with you. That's why I stated according to some experts.

Here's the link http://melevsreef.com/id/flatworm.html

Usually those experts are trying to sell them :wink1:
It's funny but the fish/invert winds up eating everything but what you want it to. :anger2:

Actually I think the best way is to siphon them out of the tank. Do it every day with the lights fully on and eventually you get them under control to the point where they usually disappear.

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
marrone said:
Actually I think the best way is to siphon them out of the tank. Do it every day with the lights fully on and eventually you get them under control to the point where they usually disappear.

That's what I think and what I did last year. :) And it works indeed.

romain said:
Not all sixlline eat flatworms. Siphoning is a must IMHO.

Zoous

Real Estate and Reefs
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Actually, I was going to get the fish from a fellow manhattan reefer this pass Saturday but not because I have flatworms. The fish was nice and healthy but when it was placed in the bag and after talking to him for about a half hour the six-line turned belly up. :dead1: :(

I really like this fish alot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: