charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Thanks Deanos. That's what I thought but it doesn't have hair yet.

Sump it? I'm killing the damn thing. I tried to save the fish yesterday but it dragged it into it's hole. I felt so useless.

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
reefman said:
wow, i have a crab problem too. how big is this bugger? where did he come from?

Don't know where I got it from. I caught it by putting food in a net and it went right in. Didn't think it will be hungry after the goby.

It's the size of a nickel.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
charile1 said:
I watched this mofo kill and eat my pinkbar goby last night.
simike said:
did you see the crab kill the goby, or just eating it? thats a tiny crab to kill such a big fish

Not really.....
Claws...dude.

http://wetwebmedia.com/swcrabidfaqs.htm

"I cannot ID this crab by species with certainty but merely can say that it is a Xanthid species. Like most crabs, they are omnivorous with a strong inclination to be carnivores. I have no doubt that this creature would eat fish given the chance. Avoid most all crabs in reef aquaria and systems with small fishes."
crab006a.jpg

Last edited:

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Yes, it killed the goby. It couldn't swim away because it was in it's hole.

I had the crab for months and noticed it only picked from the rocks and ate the fish food I fed. I should have taken it out earlier. I didn't kill it so if anyone wants it...it's theirs.

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are there any crabs that are known to eat zoanthids? I saw a nasty looking bugger the other night inside a hole in the live rock, his claws were sticking through a bit. I tried to pull him out for ID with a tweezers, but to no avail. I've never seen him day or night outside of that rock hole, any thoughts?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
NYReef said:
Are there any crabs that are known to eat zoanthids? I saw a nasty looking bugger the other night inside a hole in the live rock, his claws were sticking through a bit. I tried to pull him out for ID with a tweezers, but to no avail. I've never seen him day or night outside of that rock hole, any thoughts?

i know these guys do. but they look more like spiders:
zoanthid_predators.jpg

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
WingoAgency said:
Do you still have saved me the gsp frag for me? If so,I can get both the frag and this crab sometime today or tomorrow.

You can have the crab and the gsp. I can't do this week. How's monday?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
NYReef said:
Thats just what it looked like Scarf_ace1981, what is that called if you know, and how do you get rid of them??

thats a zoanthid eatting nudi branch ,,if you have them ,take it out ASAP ,and make sure no eggs are left behind ,if you have in your tank for a long time ,my opinon would you are SOL if so

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: