LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
OK, I keep going on and on about my algae problem, so here are pics :)

The second one is blurry, but it makes it easier to see exactly how much space is just red cyano bac!

The dark spots are bryopsis, the red are cyano, and the rest...well not much else!

Attachments

• tank pics 035.jpg
    tank pics 035.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 320
  • tank pics 037.jpg
    tank pics 037.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 321

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis can be a nightmare to get rid of. Are you doing anything now to try and tackle it before it takes over the tank?

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My tank is 1 1/2 months old, and everyone tells me that an algae cycle is normal. (Not quite sure if my problem qualifies as normal :) I have to take the tank down on Friday to replace the stand. I am going to give the rocks a good scrub. Hopefully, this will slow it down enough for my cleaner crew to catch up.:eat:

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LeslieS said:
My tank is 1 1/2 months old, and everyone tells me that an algae cycle is normal. (Not quite sure if my problem qualifies as normal :) I have to take the tank down on Friday to replace the stand. I am going to give the rocks a good scrub. Hopefully, this will slow it down enough for my cleaner crew to catch up.:eat:

Most cleaners won't touch the stuff. You can try scrubbing but it will come back. Pretty much guaranteed. Algal blooms are expected for new tanks but not bryopsis. It will take over in a hurry. What's in the tank now as far as bioload goes? Are you using RO/DI water? Do you have a good skimmer? What kind of lighting and on what cycle? Have you been testing for PO4 and NO3? What, if any, are you adding in the way of additives and foods? What is your PH in the morning and evening?

The first thing that I would recommend, after answering the questions =) ,is to get a sea hare. Sea hares will usually plow right through the stuff. I'm sure that one of the MR vendors can get you one. They can't be kept in tanks long term though as they typically finish off the algae and then starve to death so that is something to keep in mind. Sometimes reefers will lend them out to each other so that they always have a food supply and they can clean up multiple tanks at the same time.

Like the rock structure btw!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
all you need is some bubble algae and you would have the trifecta of nuisance algae in your tank. :D

wingo has a seahare if it comes back after the scrubing.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
To make sure....here is a Bryopsis pic:

faq_bryopsis.jpg

Quoted from SaltwaterAquarium.com:

"Bryopsis produce chemical defenses which can be toxic to many marine animals. Therefore, herbivorous animals that naturally eat algae will often avoid this alga species. Using natural predators for control is usually preferred by most hobbyists, but finding the right types of Hermit Crabs, Blennies, Zebrasoma & Ctenochaetus sp. Tangs or other animals that might eat Bryopsis can be a real challenge."

Only slug I have read to eat Bryopsis (none to be found for sale):

g2564.jpg

Elysia viridis
(Montagu, 1804)

Order: SACOGLOSSA
Superfamily: ELYSIOIDEA
Family: Elysiidae

DISTRIBUTION

Northeast Atlantic from Norway to the Mediterranean.

It grows to about 45mm in length and its body colour, green to bright red, is dependent on the colour of the algae it is feeding on. There are usually scattered iridescent red, blue and green spots, and there can be white patches on the parapodial edges and black markings in the head and elsewhere. Branching ducts and lobes of the digestive gland are visible through the body wall in all parts of the body.
Elysia viridis has been reported from a variety of species of alga, but it actually eats the filamentous algae Cladophora and Chaetomorpha as well as coenocytic algae Codium and Bryopsis. It is able to retain living plastids from its algal food, allowing the plastids to continue to photosynthesise within its body. The slug's colour is algal-derived, leading to the different color "morphs" which have been reported for this species.

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DaRealDvs1 said:
Never heard of Sea-Hares munching on Bryopsis.
Hair Algea......yes.

Not a guarantee by any means but I've seen many reports of success. There have been many reports of lettuce nudibranchs and certain tangs feeding on bryopsis as well but probably more times than not it's a miss.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here is a picture of my bryopsis.

I am not feeding my tank yet. My snails and crabs will eat it while it is still smallish. The 3" long tufts, they go around :splitspin . My algae blennie is also eating it. He is turning green!

I have ro water, a good skimmer, and good param. It is really all my fault. My tank is in a sunny location, and I was slow with the cleaner crew. I didn't want to get too many snails and have them starve - HA!!! Also, I didn't keep my light cycle short for a long enough time.

My current bioload is 30 snails and 6 crabs, and a blennie, some mushrooms, and some zoos.

I am going to start with a good scrub, shorter light cycle, and 20 or so more snails.

Just wanted to share pics of what I have been whining about!!! :)

Attachments

• bryopsis 001.jpg
    bryopsis 001.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 235

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell. Does it pull off of the rock easily? If it does then it isn't bryopsis. Bryopsis will literally dig itself into rock and live coral making it hard, and sometimes impossible, to remove the entire plant. Glad to hear that you don't have fish yet and aren't feeding the tank yet. Nice to hear of someone getting into this hobby the right way for a change! You weren't late with the clean up crew and there is nothing wrong with placing a tank in a place where it gets sunlight by the way. Where did the rock come from and was it cured when you added it or did it cure in the tank?

Last edited:

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i had a massive hair algae break out when i started my tank. I let it grow till it consumed all the elements that keep it growing. I would occasionally use my hand to get it off the rocks. But it started to die off after a month or two. Now its virtually gone, and when i had it it was inches long too. That stuff will keep growing even if u scrub ur rocks. I found that if ur using tap water the Phoshates really keep it growing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: