Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok so after a week or so of crystal clear water (which was after i changed out the carbon and put in phos-pad and removed the chemi-pure) my tank is going backwards again - cloudy water (not green this time) ...

So now i'm trying to track down the culprit here and my detective work as brought me to this, and help will be appreciated!

1. Using Tetra Marine Flake with Brine - not overfeeding at all but can this be an issue?

2. T5HO 10ks susceptible to algae breakouts (brand new bulbs)?

3. Added 5 turbos, adding to the bioload messes with system? (only 3 small fish and a cuc)

4. Essential elements, to much for the tank to handle? (others dose, don't have issues)

5. Carbon/Changing it out frequently, is this the only thing that helps keep the water clear?

6. Tank Under a small window (but no visible light penetrating) ... Photosynthesis ?

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
not micro bubbles, the water is straight up hazy & cloudy ... and don't do any 2 part ... Did a 10% water change last night at the beginning site of the cloudyness, than this afternoon only confirmed the water issue with it looking worse ...

Changed the phos-pad and lowered the lighting down, we'll see what happens

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tony,

Its a very simple setup, 20G-High

Remora Skimmer with Maxi-1200
AC 50 Filter running Phos-pad and Carbon
2 Koralia 1's
20lbs LR/Sand
Some starter Corals
3 Fish
Clean Up Crew

Temp no higher than 78 no lower than 77
Parameters in check, all below .5 nitrates/nitrites
Calcium at 450 last check
Don't have a phos test,

Dose Essential elements 1x week
RO/DI Water (try and do weekly water changes 10%)

T5HO lights 10ks (96Wtts)

Feed Tetra Marine - fish love it but not sure if it clouds water hmmmm

Would silicates be a problem from the tank?? How would i be able to tell?

Other than that i got nothing, phosphates, silicates, or lighting ... but it did clear with the renewal of new carbon the first time ...

Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
What is your Alk,

What are "essential elements", why do you need them and how do you know.

How old is the tank?

A picture of your tank would be really helpful.

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is 3 mos old ...
Essential elements are trace minerals etc. that need to be replaced since i am using activated carbon (which depletes them by clearing the water and absorbing other things)

Alk is within the normal 7-11 dKH.

Pictures as requested ...

Attachments

• cloudypartII.jpg
    cloudypartII.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 430
  • cloudypartII2.jpg
    cloudypartII2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 431
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
chris i have no idea.... to me it looks like something has been released int he water. have you tried replacing the live sand with reg. sand, do a massive water change, also get a prefilter box for the remora if you dont have one... those freaking remoras put out alot of micro bubbles...

also try to get yourself a diatom filter i borrowed from a friend, it worked for me on my 75 gallon when i had the hairspray incident and the water was really cloudy... another question is anyone in that area spray any aerosol cans such as hairspray, pledge or anything like that....

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel the same way,

2 things come up when you started talking about sprays near the tank ...

1. The tank is in my room, and here and there i spray (not near the tank) some cologne or sometimes, rarely i use the fabreeze spray but again no where near the tank, is this a possibility?

2. The last time i had my hands in the tank, i dipped my shirt by accident into the water could it have leaked something in the tank?

These things are crazy to think but maybe its the cause i have no idea myself as for the remora its not that bad to be honest and its skimming very very dry

Also doing a massive water changes if its an algae bloom only makes it worse, believe me remember my green water problem, it fuels it , and the sand i have is regular sand, never got the live sand and im hoping its not that ... its teh marine non-live stuff, i thought maybe if i seeded it with live sand that would work but havent went down that road yet

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tank is 3 mos old ...
Essential elements are trace minerals etc. that need to be replaced since i am using activated carbon (which depletes them by clearing the water and absorbing other things)

Alk is within the normal 7-11 dKH.

Pictures as requested ...

you bought that pitch? I think alot of us here use carbon (I use a ton) and don't need anything called "essential elements"

your alk is within the normal 7-11 dkH??? That doesnt say much, what is it exactly and how much does it fluctuate swing day to day? the pics look like a 2 part overdose.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
to each his own cloudy tank lol.

so now that we know you are not dosing 2 part, and you ARE dosing something called "essential elements". If it was me i would try to not use the magic in a bottle and stick with some good old fashioned water changes.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
chris do 2 water changes lets say tom. do a 10 gallon and on weds. do another 10 gallon and do another 10 gallon next week u should be ok... my guess would be that crap ur adding maybe even the sand :scratch: try the water changes and get back to us...

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I have to agree Chris..most the rest of us run carbon and it doesn't seem to impact our essential elements..so pitch that stuff.

How often are you changing the carbon? I'd do it more often.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well interesting enough the first time it became cloudy was before i even got the elements in a bottle lol ... the 2nd time (present) is just a coincidence ...

Will try the water changes but with any algae bloom it can makes things worse, it can't hurt so ill try it to some degree and let everyone know the outcome ...

Kathy was changing the carbon every 2 weeks ... i feel as if maybe the carbon became to exhausted by the time i realized it the tank was getting cloudy, but question why is the carbon the only thing keeping the tank clear?
That cant be right, can it?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: