• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
noticed about to days ago i have red planera Flat worms
but what else do i have that would cause this

so far i have three affected frags. but cant see any pest day or night. i am preparing for a flatworm exit treatment. what else should i be looking for?

Attachments

• DSC_2405.JPG
    DSC_2405.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_2406.JPG
    DSC_2406.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC_2407.JPG
    DSC_2407.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_2408.JPG
    DSC_2408.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_2409.JPG
    DSC_2409.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_2410.JPG
    DSC_2410.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_2411.JPG
    DSC_2411.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC_2413.JPG
    DSC_2413.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC_2414.JPG
    DSC_2414.JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 302

Mr. Softy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You may be able to kill whats on each individual coral with a dip but if there are pests left in your system, they will most likely migrate right back to your corals. I have read a few things posted by Josh and he seems to know the best way to rid your system of, or at least knock the pests back enough for your corals to live on. Good Luck.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
that is what i am thinking also i am dipping in seachem reef dip right now but i am not finding anything with a magnifying glass and a flashlight ..i am thinking its AEFW but they do not respond to seachem

If you think its flatworms you must do an Iodine dip to see them, I hope its not.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
is it only on your ORA corals?

if it is AEFW, I would guess it would be on your other sps first enless the place you got the corals from has AEFW

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
aefw

i have seachems reef dip. its an iodine solution.
i did not see any orange eggs at the base .after i dipped them i put them in another clear container with regular tank water then blew it with a turkey baster..they were very hard to see.. it seems only the frags that where close to each other on the frag rack was affected.

I did not get them from the store i purcased the ORA corals from. i got those frags straight out the bag from ORA. (ORA farms directly to my tank)

I got the AEFW from another member possibly. I picked up 2 cheap frags and they werent looking the greatest. I figured i get them to color up then all will be well.those where the only new additions other than the ORA....I dipped the in the seachems but guess it had no effect on the AEFW

My other SPS that are on the other side of the tank monted to the live rock are not showing any signs of stress. i dont think it has spread that far and i Hope i could easily contain it
how did you see them with out lugols?

do you see orange eggs at the base?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
definitely AEFW u can tell by the bite marks

I hate to be the bear er of bad news i haven't heard of anyone having success beating them Randy, sanjay my self have them I suspect a lot more people have them and don't know it.
good luck

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
well thanks i am just going to try to do the best i can. as of right now the only sps showing signs are the ones on the frag rack . i just tossed the worst of the affected pieces . hopefully every other doesnt die in my dip and qt process....

WHY DID I START TO LIKE THESE COLROFUL STICKS:irked:
definitely AEFW u can tell by the bite marks

I hate to be the bear er of bad news i haven't heard of anyone having success beating them Randy, sanjay my self have them I suspect a lot more people have them and don't know it.
good luck

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
AEFW it's the worst. I had to pull all my corals out and put then into QT, and dip them every week for 4 weeks. Fortunately, they were only frags, but what a pain!!!

Even after 4 weeks, one of the frags (the suspected one that brought the AEFW in the first place) seemed to still have it, so I just chucked it away. Now every thing is good, but it's taking long time for the corals to color up again.

Good luck man.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm sorry... it is a big part of reefing I really think it's been a problem form the get go, we have just found it and are learning about now
there are a few threads on RC about, Rich started one here on MR
I thought I had them beat too, tossed the frags that I thought were beyond saving, QT'd everything else I could, dipped with Tropic Marin PCD
coral Revive scraped any eggs I found, have an Argus wrasse
he and my flame seem to hunt the base of all my corals
yet still I have found evidence of their presence :irked:

they seem to prefer tri colors and smooth skin acros
I lost a 6X8" purple bonsai to them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: