SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diversity. Habitat, genetic and nutritional.

OK,
1.Diversity - This would be a requirement as far as happiness for primates and some others in the animal kingdom, but I think that most scientist would say that a fish brain dosen't have this program.
2.Habitat - they live in a reef with zillions of small organisms, shrimp, crabs, corals plants, rock, sand, mollusks, sponges, flatworms etc... What else would they need.
3.Genetic - I am not sure what you mean here, but if you are referring to genetic diversity then I would point you to the story of Adam and Eve
icon_razz.gif
4.Nutritional - besides all the small organisms they have to feed on I also feed them a blender mush that contains scallops, shrimp, mysis shrimp, flounder, crab, selcon and vita chem. Any plant material they might need can be found throughout the tank in the form of various caulerpa's and plants.
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am simply saying that your glass box can not begin to compare to the habitat diversity (you only have so much live rock), the genetic diversity, (their mates are chosen for them by you), and the nutritional diversity (we are still a far cry from completely replicating the natural diet of any of the organisms we keep) of the wild reef. The fact that they are able to grow and reproduce does not mean that you have provided the ideal habitat, it simply means they have the ability to adapt to their surroundings in order to survive.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted by Glenn:
I am simply saying that your glass box can not begin to compare to the habitat diversity (you only have so much live rock), the genetic diversity, (their mates are chosen for them by you), and the nutritional diversity (we are still a far cry from completely replicating the natural diet of any of the organisms we keep) of the wild reef. The fact that they are able to grow and reproduce does not mean that you have provided the ideal habitat, it simply means they have the ability to adapt to their surroundings in order to survive.

And I am asking you what else is needed for these particular fish to have an ideal habitat? Just because there's x amount of whatever on y amount of tonnage of live rock does not mean that these fish must utilize this. In fact alot of this life is competition and predator, sorry I just can't buy this one.
Being able to choose a mate I agree with.
Nutrition for the fish I have mentioned has been studied, gut contents etc... All animals have nutritienal needs, once these are met then the rest is superfluous.
Steve

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rover I agree with your comment # 1.

If your # 2. is indeed impossible to keep which almost every one on this forum whether industry or not agrees, why not also add them to your # 1 category at least until we solve there environmental requirements?

If we could get industry to accept this minimum requirement perhaps than they could focus on educating their customers and be believed.

Mary we are living in 2002 with internet access to reef/fish boards and access to recent books available to your door in 48 hours.

Every newbie who gets suckered into say a wet/dry or Moorish Idol when he starts and than finds a board realized he has been suckered and the LFS loses all credibility thereafter.
If industry had the courage to face up to this credibility problem they would restore their image.
"I am sorry Miss Newbie, cleaner wrasse are no longer available as they do not survive in your reef. May I suggest a cleaner shrimp that does the same?"
Oh, I wish!

icon_rolleyes.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve--
I agree with you. I was simply answering the question of what they had in the wild that we can't reproduce in our tanks.

Naesco--
One thing that bothers me about a lot of your posts. You often refer to "Industry" as if everyone meets on the weekends and has a big bbq while trying trying to figure out how to pull one over on the customers next week. It's not a big club. Each wholesaler, store, and employee does things their own way, according to their own opinions and governed by their own ethics. There will always be good stores and bad stores, good companies and bad companies, good employees and bad employees. No amount of legislation is going to prevent that. Ultimately it is up to the customer to make the right decision.

Let's take the moorish idol for example. A customer walks into a store and notices a moorish idol swimming beatifully in the a tank. The customer inquires about it and asks to purchase it. At this point it is up to the employee to make a decision to accept or decline the sale. Let's say the fish cost $50.00. The employee knowing nothing about moorish idols other than what it has seen the past week (swimming around like everything is fine) accepts the sale. The customer takes it home and it lives one month before finally keeling over. SO now we deal with the customer's satisfaction or dissatisfation with the "product". Was $50 for a months worth of keeping a beautiful fish a rip off? If the customer doesn't feel so it will probably just replace the fish and hope it can do better next time. If the customer does feel ripped off it will more than likely express his dissatisfaction to the store and then the store must deal with an unhappy customer. As long as the dissatisfied customer doesn't cost him any money nothing will change. He's already got his $50 and the customer killed the fish. If the customer is a valuable one maybe the employee issue a credit in order to keep his business. Bottom line the customer paid for one month's worth of fish enjoyment.

Now as avid reef enthusiast we find this reprehensible. To sentence a fish to a certain slow starving death is "un-ethical". This is where the "cruelty to animals" comes in. We value the lives of these critters and think they should be treated humanely. The average aquarium owner thinks "it's just a fish, I'll just get another one." So we as reef enthusiasts start trying to place the blame on someone.

"That employee had no business selling that fish to that customer"
(the employee was just doing his job he didn't know any better)

"The store had no business stocking that fish in the first place."
(the store owner probably didn't know any better as well, the wholesaler had it at a good price and he felt reasonably sure he would be able to sell it for a profit, the goal of any respecatble business)

"The wholesaler shouldn't have sold it to the store if the store didn't know how to take care of it."
(How is the wholesaler supposed to know who knows what? The order came in the poor migrant worker bagged it and put it in the box.)

"The wholesaler had no business stocking that fish."
(Once again, the wholesaler felt reasonably sure he could sell the fish for a profit, the goal of any respectable business)

"The fish shouldn't have been collected in the first place."
(What is the collector supposed to do? He could either sell the fish to an aquarium exporter or sell it to the local market for food.)

Bottom line: if each step feels that they cannot make a profit on their "product" the product ceases to become profitable and suddenly disappears. In other words, had the customer been more informed the purchase would have never taken place. The moorish idol would have died in the store's tanks and he would have though twice before buying another one. The wholesaler would end up with a tankful of dead moorish idols and will think twice before stocking them. The collector can't take his moorish idols to the exporter anymore becasue no one wants them and he stops wasting valuable time catching them. Problem solved.

Now on to "impossible to keep fish" Obviously they have to last long enough to make it to the customer's tank. So it really should be "impossible to keep long term". Then we have to define long term. Is six months too short? A year? Two years? Should anything less than a natural life span be acceptable? Where did the idea that 3 months is too short but one year is acceptable come from? Is it cruel to shorten the life span of something just for our personal enjoyment?? That depends on your personal ethics and beliefs I guess. Then it becomes an economic issue, am I going to get enough enjoyment out of this fish to make the price and maintenance worth it? Some people are perfectly happy getting a fish (regardless of species impossible or not) to live a month? They have no problem simply replacing the fish. Are these people evil or do they just have a different value assigned to the "life" of the fish?? These very fish we spend so much money to keep alive are eaten in other countries. Our culture allows the eating of certain ugly fish, but values the "life" of pretty ones. So obviously the whole cruelty vs. humane thing is somewhat subjective.

This subjectivity is why I believe as long as the "harvest" can be done in a sustainable manner it should be allowed. As long as we leave plenty of "Moorish Idols" (or any other impossible to keeps) on the reef to make more I don't have a problem with it. As long as the collection is done in a non-destructive manner (i.e. no cyanide or blast fishing). The reef is a resource that we should protect and cherish, but I see no reason why it can't also provide a harvest as well.

Just for the record, I do run a pet store that sells marine fish. I have never, nor do I ever plan to carry any of the "impossible to keep" fish in my store. As a matter of fact my "impossible" list is probably a bit more extensive. I do this for a number of reasons, partly because as an avid reef enthusiast I don't want to sentence any of these species to a certain death. But mostly becasue I don't want to waste my money and profits on something that may die in my tanks forcing me to absorb the cost. I spend as much time as necessary with my customers and employees to make sure that everyone is as informed as possible. We have plenty of books and resources available. So you may wonder why I have a problem with bans and regualtions??? Simple, the cruelty argument is based on emotion and unquantifiable touchy-feely-let's-make-ourselves-feel-good arguments and will ultimately result in more and more regulations intil the hobby is wiped out completely. (Yes even captive bred I think).
If we view this from a natural resources perspective, the numbers and objectives are much more clear. And the hobby will procede and adapt to any changes in a much more logical and organized manner.

my two cents......

Glenn

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glen do not be bothered by my posts. I fully accept that there is good and bad LFS etc. and have commented on this in this forum to the point that for brevity sake I don't want to go through this in every post.
Rover the impossible to keep or unsuitable species definition was defined in the beginning of this forum by Mary. If it is an obligate eater and lives for one two or six months it doesn't matter. It is on the list by Mary's definition.

I am concerned by what you say in your post because it appears that even if the fish is in the impossible to keep category, you agree that they should continue to be imported and sold as long as they are sustainable. Have I correctly interpreted your post?

Do you sell Moorish Idol and or cleaner wrasse at your store?

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: naesco ]</p>

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
I am concerned by what you say in your post because it appears that even if the fish is in the impossible to keep category, you agree that they should continue to be imported and sold as long as they are sustainable. Have I correctly interpreted your post?

Yes. I believe that sustainability is more accurately and presicely measured than "impossible to keep". Don't get me wrong I think the USL list is a good idea. I just disagree on what it should be used for.

Do you sell Moorish Idol and or cleaner wrasse at your store?

No.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted by Glenn:
It's hard to argue with the fact that these critters wouldn't be happier back in the ocean than in our little glass boxes. Just look at all the heated arguments on how big is big enough?? Which would a tang prefer? 55 gallon of water?? 180 gallon of water?? or the entire ocean??

This needs to be handed over to the Department of Natural Resources and governed that way. The exact same way freshwater fish, reptiles, small animals, and all other pets are. The DNR draws up the approved lists, the Department of Agriculture enforces it.

Glenn, let me first say that I agree with the way you see this all needs to be governed. I would love to see it done in another way, but I just don't see it happening.

Now on to your argument
icon_wink.gif
. I have a 180 gallon reef with a pair of breeding bangaii's, 2 tank raised perculas and 2 royal grammas. All of these fish seem to be quite comfortable living their lives in a small territory as they do in nature. They have no predators in the tank, they are fed well and all have an opportunity to breed. IYO what are they lacking in my little glass box that they could have in nature?
Steve

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if industry gets serious about dealing with the impossible to keep list perhaps the regulations and the difficulty in enforcement will not prevail.

If it does not and regulations surely follow it will be good for America. Large vendors of these critters Petco and others will get out of the business as well as many internet sellers.
What we will be left with is the best of the best.
The mom and pop LFS will prevail as in the end they will take the time to do the job necessary to clean up the industry.

Fundamentally you see ornamental fish as a resource whose only limitation on harvest is sustainability.
IMO if we collect them for our tanks AT THE MINIMUM, they must have some chance for survival.
To be quite frank, I do not see the industry changing at all. Regulations will be required.
For the life of me I do not understand why industry does not wholeheartedly champion the impossible to keep list. Their livelihood is at stake!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be quite frank, I do not see the industry changing at all.

I agree with you. But it's not stubborness on the part of industry but the fact that the customers refuse to change as well. As soon as the customers change industry will be sure to follow. As long as there is demand there will be supply. Regulations will come and industry will adapt but I think the regualtions will come in the form of sustainability just like every other natural resource issue. We have limits on how many bass you can catch, how many deer you can kill and when and how you can do it, we probably have import and export quotas on lumber, grain, cotton, and lots of other resource type goods, the next logical step is to place seasons and bag limits on the collection of tropical fish. But to whine about not being able to keep a fish alive for three months that would be food in any other country is a bit ridiculous to me.

Glenn

Tim Tessier

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rover,
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>
Bottom line: if each step feels that they cannot make a profit on their "product" the product ceases to become profitable and suddenly disappears. In other words, had the customer been more informed the purchase would have never taken place. The moorish idol would have died in the store's tanks and he would have though twice before buying another one. The wholesaler would end up with a tankful of dead moorish idols and will think twice before stocking them. The collector can't take his moorish idols to the exporter anymore becasue no one wants them and he stops wasting valuable time catching them. Problem solved.

<hr></blockquote>
you forgot to add in the part that the fish got eaten by the collector instead of sold to an exporter so they never stayed on the reef anyways.

Cheers,
Tim

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted by Tim:
you forgot to add in the part that the fish got eaten by the collector instead of sold to an exporter so they never stayed on the reef anyways.

Yes, but when a total ban is looked at by the US this guy who eats this fish will most likely not be considered. Eating a fish for survival and placing a fish in an aquarium for enjoyment are perceived differently by the average citizen. We can argue logic all day, but in the end it will come down to the this simple fact, one of the reasons the reefs are dying is so a very select few can have entertainment.
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> but in the end it will come down to the this simple fact, one of the reasons the reefs are dying is so a very select few can have entertainment.

<hr></blockquote>

I agree completely. The sooner we get the "humaneness" out of the way and focus on what collection level the reef can handle (if any) the better. If it is determined that the reef can't handle any collection at all or the sustainability is so low that it makes the collection not cost effective, the hobby should be shut down, as our "entertainment" is not something worth losing the reef over.

Glenn

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% IMO
If it were shown that more than 25% survive from capture to 30 days after retail sale it would be OK.
Laws would be enacted to ensure that collectors make that minimum or they could not be imported.
Inspections of wholesalers and collection stations would be carried out to ensure 100% compliance with survivability procedures and death rate statistics. If you don't have the facility, don't remit your reports correctly or don't care you are out of business.
Retailers would require testing and licencing with regular inspection of their tanks etc.
Detailed care requirements in laymans language would be required to be posted with sheets provided with every sale.
Put in Mary's terms
Problem: High death rate of product.
Solution: Implementation of the above regulation and laws.

In the case of coral I think the the percentage should be 90% and the period 6 months.

To encourage frags, aquaculture and research, credits could be given to those who invest in same. So if you went over the 75% death rate but could demonstrate that your business purchases fish and coral from the above sources, you stay in business.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> If it were shown that more than 25% survive from capture to 30 days after retail sale it would be OK.
<hr></blockquote>

First of all, this would be rather difficult to track. Second of all, the advanced aquarist would be unfairly represented as the numbers would be pulled down by all of the beginner's learning curves. Third of all, this does nothing to protect the reef.

Your credit for those who invest in aquaculture would be too difficult to regulate and would provide a loop hole for the larger wholesalers and LFS chains as most of them already do both.

This should be solely a sustainability issue. As long as we are able to perpetuate the hobby so that the impact on the reef is small or non-existant, what ends up in the customers tank is incidental. [This also solves Fishaholic's problem of the reefs getting smaller while the hobby gets bigger] Through supply-demand and cost effectiveness, most of the impossible to keeps will work their way out of the system anyway. But by trying to quantify "impossible to keep" and basing the arguments on emotional "it's not humane" statements, I think we're going down a path that will eventually judge the entire hobby as "not humane". Take a look at the various humane societies who want to ban all reptiles (captive raised or not), these same groups also want to ban all pets, (cats, dogs, rabbits, horses, you name it.) Just not the direction I think we should go in. As long as the reef remains a natural resource for us to use and protect I think we can avoid such sentimental hogwash.

Glenn

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: Rover ]</p>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: