pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Larger needlewheels are not as quiet as some assume. They can be as noisey as a beckett from the air draw.

Also IMO, it's harder to get a dry skim from a nutrient poor tank whereas a beckett will perform better in that type of enviroment.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
:arg: i juSt emptied out mY cuP, but here'S my ASM G3 skimmer... itS been on foR about 1.5 montHs, aLways been good, but sometimEs overFlows on mE for whatevEr reaSon... othErwise, am happY with it.

Attachments

• IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 485
J

JohnnyI

Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
Larger needlewheels are not as quiet as some assume. They can be as noisey as a beckett from the air draw.

Also IMO, it's harder to get a dry skim from a nutrient poor tank whereas a beckett will perform better in that type of enviroment.

:irked: Please detail? I for sure dont want to end up with same noise as the MRC that I had... Noisey PIG! and the Iwaki 70rlt was not purring kitten either... :shhh: :eek:

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
:irked: Please detail? I for sure dont want to end up with same noise as the MRC that I had... Noisey PIG! and the Iwaki 70rlt was not purring kitten either... :shhh: :eek:

Becketts are noisey from the air draw, larger needlewheels can be noisey also from air draw.
Case in point, if you compare a needle wheel utilizing two eheim pumps to a beckett, yes the beckett is louder but the dual eheim needlewheel is not dead silent and can be close to a single beckett in terms of air draw noise.

Needlewheels utilizing aquabees (smaller NW skimmers) would fit the bill of being quieter to the degree of attaining a considerable difference in "noise" over a beckett skimmer.

As reference, I run an Ap600 (single aquabee) and an Ap702 (dual eheim 1260s)

As for the skimmate opinion, on the AP600 running on a 90g fowlr, I can get dark or light skimmate based on tuning. As for the Ap702 running on a 120g SPS tank, I can basically only get wet skimming after about 6-7 months due to the less nutrients in the water column. Skimmed great for the first 2 months, dark, light, wet & dry whereas a beckett would do better in this scenerio.

Jonathan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a bermuda aquatics skimmer over the weekend. It looked well built, but i didnt look any remarkably different from other beckett skimmers in terms of the air injector. The venturi was really loud though. The owner had it plumbed incorrectly so I couldnt comment performance wise (he had the outlet pipe running too far causing back pressure and therefore fluctuating water level in the skimmer).

Falco

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am currently running a Euro Reef CS80 on my new 30g cube and a MR-3 Single Beckett on my 135g mixed reef.

I have had the MRC skimmer for about 2 years now and I happen to like it. It works really well for me but I can say it took me a few months to get it dialed in correctly. I don't have any good pics of it but I will try and get some when I go home tonight.

As for the CS80 I am very happy with it and its kicking major butt for a smaller skimmer. It has only been running about 5 days on my new tank curing rock and it has been pulling out a large amount of skimmate.

Here is a pic of the CS80:

CS80.jpg

I have also had experience with the Remora w/MJ1200 in the past and I really wasn't a fan of that skimmer as it really never pulled anyhing out :irked:

Noodus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
couldn't find pictures of tunze skimmers in action. i got my 9010 here. can't tell how good or bad it is. it's been on for a few weeks and it pulls out about 100ml of crap a day. i have a 72 gal with 20 gal refuge. lots of softies and 6 small fish and a med yellow tang. here are pics.

Attachments

• mr10.jpg
    mr10.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 519
  • mr11.jpg
    mr11.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 517

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
100ml is very little skimmate for a system with your bioload. From what I've seen in person and based on the amount of skimmate and bubble concetration that you're getting(along with price consideration), this style Tunze skimmer really sucks. For a little cheaper you could get an ASMg3 which could give you like 6-8oz dark skimmate per day.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
might be considering the Deltec TS1060S
(as an FYI, Deltec rates the TS1060S at the same capacity as the AP702). It is more difficult to clean, but fits in a smaller footprint.

Last edited:

tacocat

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taco that skimmer definitely wasn't running right. Do you still use it? When the whole neck gets black you really hinder the performance. What pump is running it?

The MRC I was running worked awesome. Performance wise it blew away the expensive needlewheel skimmers. Only thing was I ran it with a 300w pump:splitspin

Here is my MRC running dry

and wet

but I switched to this because of $200 per month electrical savings :D

It was underpowered. I was using a Mak-4 on it. This was a first generation MRC, and the acrylic was thin. A larger pump may have blown up the body. :D

I got my Grotech HEA 200 back. I will be using that to cure my new tank (240g Starphire cube). I'll try to get pics of it running.

True, a beckett skimmer can be quieter than a needlewheel skimmer in the air intake department. My MRC was very quiet in those regards. Unfortunately, it is typically the pump that is loud. Until recently, it was difficult to find a quiet pressure rated pump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: