Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey all,

So I've been thinking of downgrading my 65g reef to a 34g Solana. Anyone here have one, and what are your thoughts? Is the stock equipment good enough or should I expect to have to upgrade somewhere?

Also, which lighting system did you use to go with it? I don't know all that much about lighting (I have 6 39w T5s on my 65), but is the LED setup for the Solana powerful enough for most coral, or would I need the T5 setup? I'd like to avoid a chiller and am looking for some lights that won't generate too much heat.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I love it.

You will need to change/upgrade the following.

Rodi top off
I have AI Sol Blue LED (love it)
Stock skimmer is crap (only other in tank option is tunze 9002)
Intankmedia.com media basket gor middle chamber.
Egg crate in overflow to prevent sponge from falling.

I added a mp10 to tank, and carbon in media basket.

Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks rookie. That's a serious LED system, I don't think I can spring for that quite yet.
What is wrong with the ATO? Does it just need a stronger pump, bigger reservoir, or something else?
Besides upgrading the skimmer, it doesn't look like there's much additional expenses on top of the stock system, depending on what I choose for lighting.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
What is wrong with the ATO? Does it just need a stronger pump, bigger reservoir, or something else?

The ATO is two inverted containers that empty as the level drops - not very consistent and with a rimless tank, it evaporates more that the containers can hold in a couple days. Total PIA to keep filling IMHO.

Hope that helps.

House

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Did you end up buying the Solana yet? I had one for a while. Very nice tanks, but I wish they came with a "reef ready" option. IMO, the internal sump compartment feels cheap and takes up too much real estate in the tank. It's a great option for those who want a sleek looking system but don't want to deal with a traditional sump, however.

Another word of caution, unless you like the look of coralline-encrusted back walls (I DON'T), definitely keep on top of the back wall algae. Use a rough pad to scrape off the algae before it turns into coralline. The back wall has a textured pattern to it, and you won't be able to use the typical glass scrapers there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: