jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Thanks Vinny. I also saw that and was tempted to make an offer.
I was thinking of doing them side by side kind of like having a 72" long tank.

Flytekk! :)
The lucky guy to snag up that one. Good thing you did as i
Was almost tempted on that one too.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Im stuck. I was always hoping to just do like 50% water changes once a month and not have to worry about skimmers and auto top off and rodi. But now slowly but surely im putting parts together. This was supposed to be a FIFTY DOLLA REEF!!!! Grrrr.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Vinny, I don't even want to check that out as temptation is just so strong. Lol.

Flytekk, you'll be surprised as to how fast the cost adds up even for a nano tank.
It's just more easier to make bigger tanks simple than doing it in nano tanks as stability of parameters will be the big problem specially if we want to cram in all the livestock we want to put in.

My custom color 4w bulb with royal blue, red, cyan and purple leds came in today.
I hooked one up and it gives the tank a more natural and clearer/whiter look.
The boostled par30s alone somehow gives it a purplish look.
I added the new bulb with 4 led colors to go for a full spectrum effect on the tank.
Will still have to see how this affects the corals long term.
Pics to follow when I get to play around with our better camera.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Full tank shot with red, cyan, purple and royal blue LEDs.
BD46F71A.jpg

It's nice touch but I just hate the light spill from them.
It adds a nice touch but I went back to just the royal blues.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
edge2011 - I already ran out of space. Now I'm always thinking of a Solana AIO.

Flytekk - i just have a clown pair and a Bangaii cardinal left. The others decided to jump out.

Krazime - The mp10 is more than enough. I only have it set at 4 notches. Higher than that and its a sandstorm.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edge2011 - I already ran out of space. Now I'm always thinking of a Solana AIO.

Flytekk - i just have a clown pair and a Bangaii cardinal left. The others decided to jump out.

Krazime - The mp10 is more than enough. I only have it set at 4 notches. Higher than that and its a sandstorm.

Hey I am thinking about setting up a 12 like this and found this thread on google and had to make an account to ask some questions. First of all, your tank is amazing! I was wondering what you have your par bulbs clipped on to. It looks like some black wall but I don't think it's the back of your tank. Also, how do u like the overflow? I was considering the same one. Also, could u explain ur plumbing a bit. I have never had a sump so looking for a little guidance. I see that the water goes into the overflow, down into the sump then looks like it comes back up into the other side of your tank through your black barrier thing? A little explanation would be nice. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Hey I am thinking about setting up a 12 like this and found this thread on google and had to make an account to ask some questions. First of all, your tank is amazing! I was wondering what you have your par bulbs clipped on to. It looks like some black wall but I don't think it's the back of your tank. Also, how do u like the overflow? I was considering the same one. Also, could u explain ur plumbing a bit. I have never had a sump so looking for a little guidance. I see that the water goes into the overflow, down into the sump then looks like it comes back up into the other side of your tank through your black barrier thing? A little explanation would be nice. Thanks!

essentially a sump adds water volume giving you more room when it comes to making an error with your parameters of the tank....essentially the larger the tank the less of an effect a mistake will have on it because itll be like a drop of water in a bucket

reason number 2 for a sump is to give you more room to place your gear instead of cluttering up your display tank....most people hide there heaters, skimmers, reactors, ato's etc in their sump

and the third reason to have a sump is to use it as a refugium to grow macro algae etc to eat up some of your tanks nutrients

so basically the water goes drains from the overflow to the sump where it passes through all your different filtration and heater etc and then the clean water gets pumped back into your tank

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
essentially a sump adds water volume giving you more room when it comes to making an error with your parameters of the tank....essentially the larger the tank the less of an effect a mistake will have on it because itll be like a drop of water in a bucket

reason number 2 for a sump is to give you more room to place your gear instead of cluttering up your display tank....most people hide there heaters, skimmers, reactors, ato's etc in their sump

and the third reason to have a sump is to use it as a refugium to grow macro algae etc to eat up some of your tanks nutrients

so basically the water goes drains from the overflow to the sump where it passes through all your different filtration and heater etc and then the clean water gets pumped back into your tank

Thank u for that explanation. What I was mainly looking for was what does he have behind his tank that all his lights are clamped on to and the return pipe seems to be running through? It looks really nice haha

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Kmart19 - thanks.
I was using one if those 36" laminated shelf which matched the color of my cabinet and screwed it in place at the back so I didn't have to paint the glass and it served as a clamping base for the par30 bulbs.
I like the eshoppes nano overflow. Serves it purpose and doesn't lose it's siphon. You just need to fabricate an overflow silencer or use a valve to fine tune the balance of water leaving and entering the tank so that there will be no gurgling noise in the overflow. I have a valve in mine. I also have the silencer but didn't use it. You're free to try it out if it works for you.
If I were to redo it I would have it drilled and maybe have a center overflow w/ return for this one. It will be much neater than having those pipes over the back rim. Or the pricier option (which is what I originally wanted) is to get the mame glass overflow. Google it and you'll see why I want the mame. It is one sexy piece of equipment.

brunoboarder2444 - thanks for the detailed info.
How's your tank going? Hope all is well.

AR0026 - thanks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kmart19 - thanks.
I was using one if those 36" laminated shelf which matched the color of my cabinet and screwed it in place at the back so I didn't have to paint the glass and it served as a clamping base for the par30 bulbs.
I like the eshoppes nano overflow. Serves it purpose and doesn't lose it's siphon. You just need to fabricate an overflow silencer or use a valve to fine tune the balance of water leaving and entering the tank so that there will be no gurgling noise in the overflow. I have a valve in mine. I also have the silencer but didn't use it. You're free to try it out if it works for you.
If I were to redo it I would have it drilled and maybe have a center overflow w/ return for this one. It will be much neater than having those pipes over the back rim. Or the pricier option (which is what I originally wanted) is to get the mame glass overflow. Google it and you'll see why I want the mame. It is one sexy piece of equipment.

AR0026 - thanks.
Thanks for the response! I'm a bit confused tho...is the black shelf touching the back of your tank? What do you have it screwed into?

Also, could u give me a bit more info/pics about the silencer/valve in overflow? Thanks!

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Kmart19 - thanks.

AR0026 - thanks.

np, tanks are doing well...upgrade keeps hitting bumps, i still have that 150 chilling in my basement with all parts needed just waiting for me to have someone drill it and then run the plumbing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: