stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Good Evening Everyone,

Two months ago I set up a Fluval Edge Nano that went through it's cycle and was 0 across the board for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites.

I added two baby clowns a week ago and the ammonia went up to .50. I figured this was normal since it is a small tank and besides 6 hermit crabs and 6 snails it had no other bio-load. I have been doing some small water changes and after noticing that the ammonia was not going down I tested the RO water. The RO water is at 0 Ammonia. So I checked the RO water with the salt mix in it and the ammonia is .50.

Now I'm pretty confused. I didn't think that salt would add ammonia to the water. BTW it is Instant Ocean Reef Salt. My thoughts go in two directions. The first is that my brand new test kit is testing water inaccurately. The second is that maybe I got a bad bag of salt, if that is even possible.

My major concern is the fish. I am really worried that they are going to start feeling the pain of ammonia poising soon and unfortunately I have no other place to put them.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Greg

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
This may be a silly question... But did you cycle the tank? Did you add something that will decay in the tank before you added the fish??? What kind of filtration are you running? Live Rock? Ceramic Disks?

You cannot get rid of ammonia just with water changes, that is where the cycle comes into play.

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hello everyone,

I noticed that my post was not to clear. This is water that is not in my actual tank. It is RO/DI water in a bucket that has been mixed with 1/2 cup of salt per gallon and has been mixed for at least 24 hours with a powerhead. I also have a heater in the bucket to match the temp of my tank.

Below is a link to a picture of my RO/DI water before I add salt/ and after I add instant ocean reef salt. These are ammonia tests. As you can see from the difference in color the salt is definitely making a difference.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/gallery/files/3/3/5/4/3/water_test.jpg

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Try a new container for mixing and try different salt, if you still get the same result..... Then it must be something else. But that has to be the obvious steps to take after what you describe.

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Quick update, I returned this bag of salt and got a brand new bag of instant ocean and all the levels tested at 0. I have also bought a few bags since and never had this problem, through process of elimination I am going to have to say it was the salt.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: