• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey folks,
So, I moved to Brooklyn mid March and also moved from teaching in NJ to teaching in Brooklyn this fall.
(I have someone taking care of the SW tank at East Side)

Now I need to set something up in my new school.

It has to be SMALL. The school building does not have great wiring and so no power overload. Also, the building is really small. It is an old church or something. For example, there is only one outlet in my main classroom, so I will have to run a line. So, I need to keep the amount of stuff I need plugged in/watt usage low.

Anyway, I want a pico tank for my desk.
(I have an "extra" 16g tank at home but wont use that because I think that is too big)

Now, what do I need? Please be specific about suggested brand, size, wattage, and what livestock I can keep, expected evap rate, can I just buy 1 g jugs of water, etc. I can use the original tank water from my personal tank and LR to seed it.

I also want this to be really small, because if for some reason this tank does not work out in this space...I can just move it to a new location in the building.

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey,
Thanks for responding.
I'll take a look at that tank in your sig.

-----
Okay, took a look at your thread.
Lucifer is a cutie!!
I like that he's that...weird looking kind of cute because it increases his cool factor-would get the kids really interested.

But you have to feed him live foods?
I'll google some more details for taking care of a fish like him. So far I see you have a whisper like filter and a LED light.
I would probably only have 1-2 small fish, a few zoa/xenia/gsp/kenya frags from my personal tank and maybe a sprig of a cute DT worthy macro.

What small light would be good for that?

Last edited:

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hey tuni, let me pm u when i get home and send u pics of my set up and what i feed lucifer, i have some clove polyps, gsp and zoas in the tank as well

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
do what i did... I got a rimless Mr. Aqua tank with a par38, small heater and Fluval hang on filter.

I got everything used but i am sure you can too. Just so you know the rimless tank from Mr. Aqua is 7.5g and is 12x12x12 so its not too small and jus right. Cost of the tank new is 50.00, think i got free shipping... Not sure.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua...rium_Tank_Cube-Mr._Aqua-AZ1133-FIAQRC-vi.html

And if you want to get crazy you can drill it!!...

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey Wingo,
What kind of light would you recommend?
Are there any AIO tanks with a light that is decent right out of the box?

I know you are The LED Light guru :)
Actually, I need to ask you a question about a night light. I'll pm you in a bit.

Aloha,
Thanks for being willing to send me more information about your set up and Lucifer!
I really think Ill get a fish like him.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hi Dherrera,
Thank you for telling me your tank history. I will also check out your tank thread.
I must look up the par38 light. Ive seen people reference them on this site but have not looked up to check what it is. I just assume it is an LED of some sort.

Thanks!

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Yes check out my thread and you will see exactly what i mean. Also contact custom king he had an AIO nano tanks for sale a few months back very cheap.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hey Wingo,
What kind of light would you recommend?
Are there any AIO tanks with a light that is decent right out of the box?

I know you are The LED Light guru :)
Actually, I need to ask you a question about a night light. I'll pm you in a bit.

If you are to keep corals, no single AIO has a decent light right out of the box including the newer nuvo, I have two of their lights traded in to me due to insufficient intensity for reef.

As the spec, you can use a MR 16 bulb or my Spec Specific LED. All you need is 4-6W of LED for the tank

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: