• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I couldn't come up with a clever title so I just plagiarized someone famous.

I picked one of these suckers up for $68 at Petsmart; last one they had. This is acrylic, eventually it's going to be a dwarf mantis tank - I think... I mean that's why I got acrylic.

The viewable area is 6.6 gallons and I think the total volume is 8 gallons. This seems about right. There is a refugium overflow area with two chambers. In the future, it would be dead simple to add a sump like some people have done. Even a klutz like me can drill acrylic.

For now though, I'm adding these parts:

AI Nano
inTank underwater Chaeto light
Hydor Flo
Maxi-Jet 900 (waiting for it to arrive, assuming it will fit)
Pico Evo-Mag + Hydor Flo
Hydor 50 Watt Mini-heater
2x 100ml Purigen bags
Seachem Matrix
Chaeto

The AI Nano is overkill but I imagine I'll be using this again so I decided to get the best available. I really like the programmability of this thing, something very hard to get for DIY. The stock light is actually surprisingly good, very bright.

I plan to get the included cover cut by a pro to have the middle area opened out. I want to run the cover on but don't want light blockage.

I've mostly cycled the tank and right now it's housing my two onyx/black occels and cleaner shrimp while my main 34g Solana is cycling. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to put in this tank yet. I originally got it for one of the smaller mantis shrimp but I'm rethinking it. I may just get a single clown and a bunch of anemones or ??.

Any thoughts on where to put the Chaeto? Chamber 1 in the overflow area or the larger chamber 2 area where the pump sits?

lYM10.jpg

rD78t.jpg

aVdiL.jpg

fmVRL.jpg

xFDni.jpg

YsO0B.jpg

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Here's a full tank shot.

Keep in mind though, rock formation is not close to final. All 50lbs of my live rock doesn't come in until after New Years :(

I'm also using the light on a planted tank which is thriving from just 3-4 days with that light. The AI Nano doesn't come in for a few days either. :/

Attachments

• _DSC0937.jpg
    _DSC0937.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 332

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: