• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

looking very nice...

your glass cutting is impressive and the sump is a nice fit.. can't wait to see it done :)

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Only took until my 2nd tank to get the hang of cutting glass. :)

I nearly had the overflow completed yesterday, but the guy at the hardware store mucked up the cut list and only gave me one of something I needed two of. Got plenty of spare glass, so I guess I'm going to learn how to cut the stuff myself. I'll have to do it for the baffles in the sump anyway.

It's going to be a magic act to fit the return pump, float valve, skimmer, SCWD, gate valve(s), freshwater topoff tank, electric panel, etc in under there. I'm hoping to have enough space to fit a running QT tank too, but that might be a stretch. Certainly not going to fit the saltwater mixing bucket!

I've got the stuff for DIY rocks already - I want to create the backbone of the aquascaping myself to ensure I get what I want, and then get some LR rubble for the fuge and a big piece or two to fit in the display, but I'm not sure what way to go with the aquascaping. Got to make a decision soon!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what did you do with the other cracked tank? This may sound crazy but you still might be able to use it in the future. If you remove the panel, and remove the plastic bracing around it, you can silicone it to another 10 gallon tank and create a divided sump/refugium tank. Then just drill a few slots in the divider and you're set.

Just my 2 cents...

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what did you do with the other cracked tank?
Right now, it's just sitting in my dad's workshop (I live in a condo, so no workshop for me!). I was going to use it to make my DIY liverock; to make sure my aquascaping fits. I figured that if the concrete curing broke the tank, it's no big loss.

Your idea is a good one. Waste not want not - I'll probably hold on to it looking for an opportunity to put it to good use. My stand framing was 100% from scrap lumber in my father's workshop, so I get it honestly.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say, Nice looking job you have there. I like the plumbing part too. Nice and clean.

I do have one question, how come you just didn't paint the back and bottom of the tank on the outside?

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":wp14tqif said:
Just wanted to say, Nice looking job you have there. I like the plumbing part too. Nice and clean.
Thanks. The plumbing is going to get a bit more complicated before I'm done. And I'm planning on fitting a skimmer in there too.

knucklehead":wp14tqif said:
I do have one question, how come you just didn't paint the back and bottom of the tank on the outside?
I want to hide the Durso too, and I can't figure a way to do that without having something in the water. I think I'm just going to slide a piece of black acrylic against the inside back of the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking absolutely fantastic so far. Everything looks clean & manufactured as a complete setup. :)

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foosinho":297mdvk7 said:
knucklehead":297mdvk7 said:
Thanks. The plumbing is going to get a bit more complicated before I'm done. And I'm planning on fitting a skimmer in there too.

knucklehead":297mdvk7 said:
I want to hide the Durso too, and I can't figure a way to do that without having something in the water. I think I'm just going to slide a piece of black acrylic against the inside back of the tank.

That should work

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marillion":1t7u6922 said:
Looking absolutely fantastic so far. Everything looks clean & manufactured as a complete setup. :)

Thanks. I'm not sure the electric is going to fit where I was thinking. That may be a bit of a challenge. As it is, the back panel of the stand is going to have to be removable just so I can put all the plumbing back together after I move it!

But, what can I say. I'm an engineer, and I love this stuff.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":27q81o0i said:

Because silicone doesn't stick to paint ;) I had this exact same problem in my current tank. I ended up fitting a piece of acrylic to the exact dimensions of the inside and put it in the back of the tank. You can see it in the above pics. If you're doing a DIY rock wall it should hide it though right?

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wavering on the "cliff" look. I might do something a little different, and a black background should give the illusion of depth.

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
knucklehead":39rxrj0e said:
Does that mean you drive trains for a living????
No, it means that I program computers for a living, but I was trained (hah! a pun!) to design electrical devices. I also got a lot of training (45 quarter-hours short of a degree) towards designing mechanical devices.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foosinho":1s5w9goy said:
knucklehead":1s5w9goy said:
Does that mean you drive trains for a living????
No, it means that I program computers for a living, but I was trained (hah! a pun!) to design electrical devices. I also got a lot of training (45 quarter-hours short of a degree) towards designing mechanical devices.

:lol:

I figured that, I was just being my usual smartazzed self

Foosinho

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now that I've got it running, with about 9 lbs of rock or so for now, I'm trying to work out my cleanup crew. Any suggestions?

Turbo(s)?
Bumblebee snails?
Hermits?

I'm going for an approximate "pacific" look, but I'm not going to be totally strict about that if a certain specimen otherwise makes sense.

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foosinho":3geijb0w said:
So, now that I've got it running, with about 9 lbs of rock or so for now, I'm trying to work out my cleanup crew. Any suggestions?

Turbo(s)?
Bumblebee snails?
Hermits?

I'm going for an approximate "pacific" look, but I'm not going to be totally strict about that if a certain specimen otherwise makes sense.

I just read your thread in the nano buildoff, you are doing some AWESOME work. It turned out beautiful and I love the false table look, I should have done mine that way!

As far as cleanup crew I would stay away from bumblebee snails, I have one in my tank and he doesn't do anything that I can see. I have some astreas(the smaller turbo) and they do a great job(although I hear the slowly die in high(80+) temps). Red hermits are OK, I like blue hermits better, although they sometimes attack and kill snails for the shell.

I've heard the ultimate cleaner snail is the trochus snail, like warmer water, reproduce easily in tanks and mow down algae. Hard to find them though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: