Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5452481052_42841d76c7_b.jpg

Old picture, but this is basically the scape I have now.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I have just replaced the MR11 to MR16 and placed 2 MR16 LED Platinum. Still figuring how to handle the filtering portion so that is no splash. May go to mod the power filter into somewhat a close loop.

Attachments

• WingoLED MR16 LED on Fluval Edge.jpg
    WingoLED MR16 LED on Fluval Edge.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 605

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
@Neet - I dig the blue background on that edge.

@Aqua Pro Builder - You can try an acrylic splashguard but heating up will be one concern or what others do is coat the light wit some clear heat resistant paint to protect it.
If you have ATO, having the water level always at the lip of thefilter with avoid splashing though I doubt with the led bulbs you got you can still do that as it seems to reach deeper than the regular bulb.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
@Neet - I dig the blue background on that edge.

@Aqua Pro Builder - You can try an acrylic splashguard but heating up will be one concern or what others do is coat the light wit some clear heat resistant paint to protect it.
If you have ATO, having the water level always at the lip of thefilter with avoid splashing though I doubt with the led bulbs you got you can still do that as it seems to reach deeper than the regular bulb.

My LEDs have splash guard in the front, so far I am not too worrying about them. I am worrying more about salt creep every where else with the power filter. If I do away the power filter and using a close loop may not give enough gas exchange. So that's the dilemma I foresee. Hear anyone has done something something to the power filter? May be a splash guard which acts more like a guide for the "waterfall" to go under the water surface directly?

Eleven11

11:11
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This hobby is an addiction. After months away, I've plunged back in with an edge. My project is currently in cycle mode and I'm anxious to get started right away.

So far I'm planning a very minimalistic approach. This tank is for my 1 year old son (dad can have fun too right?) and we're planning on having 2 fish. I know 2 fish are a lot for this size tank but I think with the right livestock, it can work. I'm planning to keep softies and have plants in the tank as well.

I started the cycle with a jug of Nutri Seawater (4.4g) and topped off with RO water. I had roughly 7lbs of live rock from another tank that I moved in and used added live sand. I removed all the media from the filter except the sponge and the tank stayed cloudy for a few days.

I decided to take out the sponge and use DIY polypads ($2.77 for a yard of polyester fiber fabric). I cut them up and loaded up the filter with them. Within hours my tank started clearing up quicker. I've since replaced the the pads with just 1 double layer pad that is acting as the only means of filtration.

I don't have a heater yet but my home is a very steady temperature year-round so I'm not as concerned about it now. I got the idea of RO water ice cubes somewhere on MR and I'm considering giving that a shot.

I have a Koralia 1 which provides a ton of flow. I still have the stock halogens plugged in. Actually only 1 now since I dropped the other into the tank and didn't bother replacing it. I'm still mulling over the lighting situation but for now it's not an emergency. It looks like everyone progresses as they go along so I think I'm going to give the mr11 led plug-and-play option a shot. I'm also planning on adding a 50/50 coralife pc bulb to the stock lighting arm and also doing some sort of led strip as moon lights. I like the splash guard idea for both the opening of tank as well as over the filter to direct water straight into the tank to reduce creep. I'm not sure of the plans for modifying the stock filter. I read somewhere that you can fit a aquaclear50? I have to verify but I'm going to first try to do it within the tank with plants.

Look forward to seeing how everyone's tank turns out.

Jeff, you're tank looks amazing.

Neet, everything looks very clean and sharp, perfect setting for this tank design. I like the blue background too.

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

-3.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
This hobby is an addiction. After months away, I've plunged back in with an edge. My project is currently in cycle mode and I'm anxious to get started right away.

So far I'm planning a very minimalistic approach. This tank is for my 1 year old son (dad can have fun too right?) and we're planning on having 2 fish. I know 2 fish are a lot for this size tank but I think with the right livestock, it can work. I'm planning to keep softies and have plants in the tank as well.

I started the cycle with a jug of Nutri Seawater (4.4g) and topped off with RO water. I had roughly 7lbs of live rock from another tank that I moved in and used added live sand. I removed all the media from the filter except the sponge and the tank stayed cloudy for a few days.

I decided to take out the sponge and use DIY polypads ($2.77 for a yard of polyester fiber fabric). I cut them up and loaded up the filter with them. Within hours my tank started clearing up quicker. I've since replaced the the pads with just 1 double layer pad that is acting as the only means of filtration.

I don't have a heater yet but my home is a very steady temperature year-round so I'm not as concerned about it now. I got the idea of RO water ice cubes somewhere on MR and I'm considering giving that a shot.

I have a Koralia 1 which provides a ton of flow. I still have the stock halogens plugged in. Actually only 1 now since I dropped the other into the tank and didn't bother replacing it. I'm still mulling over the lighting situation but for now it's not an emergency. It looks like everyone progresses as they go along so I think I'm going to give the mr11 led plug-and-play option a shot. I'm also planning on adding a 50/50 coralife pc bulb to the stock lighting arm and also doing some sort of led strip as moon lights. I like the splash guard idea for both the opening of tank as well as over the filter to direct water straight into the tank to reduce creep. I'm not sure of the plans for modifying the stock filter. I read somewhere that you can fit a aquaclear50? I have to verify but I'm going to first try to do it within the tank with plants.

Look forward to seeing how everyone's tank turns out.

Jeff, you're tank looks amazing.

Neet, everything looks very clean and sharp, perfect setting for this tank design. I like the blue background too.

If you are not keeping coral I think the 1W LED plug-n-play solution is good enough already, why bother with the PC that clutter the tank's simplistic look? However, if you want to keep coral, I would replace the the MR11 into MR16 and use larger LEDs. Replacing the MR11 with MR16 is not hard at all.

Eleven11

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you are not keeping coral I think the 1W LED plug-n-play solution is good enough already, why bother with the PC that clutter the tank's simplistic look? However, if you want to keep coral, I would replace the the MR11 into MR16 and use larger LEDs. Replacing the MR11 with MR16 is not hard at all.

I am planning on keeping corals. I was debating between just the plug and play mr11 or the mr16. I suppose I should go with the mr16s instead and bypass the plug n play option.

I wanted the PC because it's my understanding that with either the mr11 or 16 you get spotlights which I want to avoid. If the mr16's are enough light I might just get some super bright LEDs just to brighten up the tank and give good overall coverage to the rest of the tank.

Wingo, I saw the setup you're selling for teh fluval. It looks good!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I am planning on keeping corals. I was debating between just the plug and play mr11 or the mr16. I suppose I should go with the mr16s instead and bypass the plug n play option.

I wanted the PC because it's my understanding that with either the mr11 or 16 you get spotlights which I want to avoid. If the mr16's are enough light I might just get some super bright LEDs just to brighten up the tank and give good overall coverage to the rest of the tank.

Wingo, I saw the setup you're selling for teh fluval. It looks good!

At stock configuration, I like the Fluval Spec more than the Fluval Edge, but one can put so much coral in a 2G pico:( The small LED it comes with can support simple plant growth already.
As for the Edge, without modifying the power filter, I think it will be hazel to clean the tank too. Plus the halogen is so hot and yellow. I think no one can tolerate.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hey Eleven11 thanks for the kind remark.
Try to visit this link for the PC bulb and MR11/16 LED mod for the edge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDzDLeiF5k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

As for the aquaclear 50, yes you can fit it in but you will have to cut the tabs holding the light arm. It is ok to upgrade to the bigger AC50 but the stock filter does its job so far. The AC50 will be a nice filter upgrade and some had it modded as a refugium for the edge.

Last edited:

Eleven11

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hey Eleven11 thanks for the kind remark.
Try to visit this link for the PC bulb and MR11/16 LED mod for the edge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDzDLeiF5k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

As for the aquaclear 50, yes you can fit it in but you will have to cut the tabs holding the light arm. It is ok to upgrade to the bigger AC50 but the stock filter does its job so far. The AC50 will be a nice filter upgrade and some had it modded as a refugium for the edge.

I'd like to look into the refugium idea. I know this tank has it's limitations but I really like the design and my 1 year old thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread (or maybe I should say kalbi since I'm Korean? :lol2:).

I decided against the pc light because I want to keep the stock look and don't want to deal with the heat. I'm ordering the led lights today from ecoxotic (won't be here till next week :banghead: lol.)

I plan on getting the cleanup crew tomorrow. I also need to start a tank thread to keep track of my progress.

Jeff, if you cut the tabs holding the light arm, do you have to remove the lighting arm? I'm at the office right now and can't picture the tab in my head. I hope not because I was planning on installing my led strips onto the arm to keep the stock look. The wife really likes the hood and doesn't want to change it.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I'd like to look into the refugium idea...

Jeff, if you cut the tabs holding the light arm, do you have to remove the lighting arm? I'm at the office right now and can't picture the tab in my head. I hope not because I was planning on installing my led strips onto the arm to keep the stock look. The wife really likes the hood and doesn't want to change it.

Yep the light arm has to be removed. I can't seem to find where I saw that upgrade if its in nanoreef or 3reef.

Eleven11

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wingo,

Let's hope corals can thrive under the lights. That's the most important thing.

Jeff,

I don't know if I want to do the fuge then cause I need the stock arm for the LEDs I'm getting. I don't like the idea of the lights being on the hood. I might have to fashion a new arm for these LEDs though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: