Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I read an article on that this morning and another one this afternoon. It really annoyed me reading it. One of the main points the Japanese government was trying to make is that all that radioactivity can easily dilute in the ocean and shouldn't affect any local aquatic life but it's definitely all B$! I don't get how with all the smart (or at least think they're smart) people in the world they can't figure out a way to cleanly and efficiently cool these reactors...

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
There are more headaches to come. Trust me in that. I was preaching about that would happen since day one. I am sure, the topic about sealing the spent rods will soon to surface after they manage to handle the extra METAL CORROSIVE SEA water.

BTW, I am interested to know what polymer they are using in this very special case.

Well, the good news is that I think reactor no. 2 does not contain plutonium. If the leak is from no. 3, it will be even worse-the half-life is 24,100 years.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
...I don't get how with all the smart (or at least think they're smart) people in the world they can't figure out a way to cleanly and efficiently cool these reactors...

This all stems from the mentality of underestimating risk and the core greed that money weights more than safety. In Japan, even after the 2006 quake, due to pressure from the academics, Fukushima site reluctantly improved their sea wall(may be a foot higher) which still cannot handle the wave of the tsunami experienced before. What good is that? What mentality is that/ A show?

In US, a battery of 4 hours that are supposedly protecting one of our closest nuclear power plant is a joke to me-the Fukushima plants have 8 hours. BTW, this Indian Point Reactor is considered one of the most dangerous plant in US by the academics.

If you read the news, Brown Ferry nuclear plant opened some what last week to the public to make a case claiming that even though they are having the same GE made reactor, they are safer than the Japanese ones. At one point, they say, they have batteries loaded on super market cart at the entrance of the plant that they can use to back up the back up battery. I wonder who can access these batteries when they are flooded and or the area is already too contaminated. Naive safety plan IMO. BTW the record of the Brown Ferry nuclear plant is not very good to begin with-one of the inspector died due to a fire that broke out because he ignited a candle to check where the air flowed. The reactor remain shut down for over 20 years as of right now. Do they know really what they are doing? LOL

Last edited:

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Someone living in the shadows of Indian Point, sorry it's a necessary evil...imagine the electric bills if not...and the fact that Lime Scrubbers cost so much money to effectively filter fossil fuel emissions is a whole other issue. We consume, whaddya gonna do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: