Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Hey everyone my girlfriends looking to get a new digital camera can anyone recommend anything .we have no idea about them she wants something good but not.to expensive .maybe something were u can change lenses if u start getting onto it .oh and something that can take a sent macro shot .lol (my end of the deal)

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
You want to get a dSLR if you want to be able to change lenses. Lenses are the expensive part when you get into photography. Nikon and Canon are the basic cameras out there. I personally have a 50d which is not their lowest. It is more a pro-sumer which is just below a full frame sensor.

I am a Canon guy so I will go with Canon...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571144-REG/Canon_2762B003_EOS_Rebel_XS_SLR.html

is their entry level camera.

Macro is most likely the need for a MACRO lens, which can actually be expensive. But once you have that camera body then you can upgrade lenses.

I personally would tell you to look at a mid grade camera and not entry level.

I am sure that a Nikon guy will speak up. They are both very good brands very very comparable.

Kendall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I went to a local camera store to get mine. I couldn't decide what to get between Cannon and Nikon. I felt more comfortable talking face to face with someone as apposed to buying online. The store I went to was big on Nikon so I bought the D3100. I'm not saying the Nikon is better than Canon, but my personal preference was to go with a local store and what they recommended based on what I wanted the camera to do. When I wanted to upgrade the lense, the guy did not sell me a Nikon lense, but a Tamron because he felt it was better for what I wanted to use it for. And the prices were the same as the online prices!

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of years ago i picked up the nikon D3000 (i think the number has changed) its there entry level DSLR it takes great pics. Yes the lenses are expensive. I saw some packages on ebay that include lenses at a good price you may want to try that when you know what you want.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Do not buy those packages on ebay!!!! Stay away from them!

The reason I went with Canon is that a very good friend is a pro photographer and he recommended Canon. Nikon and canon are very comparable in options. I would do as stated above and goto a store and get a feel for the actual cameras.

Othr brand leneses can be purchased but they are not cross brand compat. Meaning if you buy a Tamaron lens for Nikon it wil not ft a Canon and vice versa.

I personally have both Canon brand and Tamron lenses. The BRAND name are usually molre expensive but thy are in fact better. But it all depends on your needs. My all around lens is the Tamron but I have. 50m and 28mm prime Canon lenses.

Go touch and feel them. Just make sure that you get all the options that you are looking for. Canon or Nikon are the 2 brands to go with IMO even though I say Canon

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Canon g series are fantastic cameras for the avid photographer and it has pro performance built in as well , i have a canon g10 i got myself for christmas and i love it dearly, g series are great , you should check it out and by the way those other cameras these guys told you about are also great cams so my suggestion is for you to go to b&h or j&r camera world both in the city and play around with all of them and see which one feels good for what your aiming to use it for..

Hope this helps

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I agree with Thirty; go to a camera store and get a feel for it and see how you feel with it on your hand. They will be able to answer all your questions. Dont go to bestbuy/pc richards unless you know exactly what your gonna get. Stores like that dont really know much about cameras. Its like going to petland with reef questions... lol Go to Adorama, B&H and i forgot the other store somewhere downtown. They all specialize in photography sales.

In all both canon and nikon are great DSLR cameras and you cant go wrong choosing any. But in the end is how you feel when your holding it. Just keep inmind your gonna spend more thank 500 for a good camera and about the same or more for each lens depending on the type.

Good luck

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Normally BHphotovideo has some of the best prices out there. That is where I normally buy my stuff, it also helps that they are in NY so I don't pay sales tax.

I would Stick with dSLR. Get one that fits your budget, if you can get one just slightly higher that the bottom level I think that it would be better, since it will then just last you that much longer.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
While the G9 is a very nice camera. But it is a point and shoot. Yes it can shoot in other modes. But it does not have the capability of lens changes and if you want that capability for future growth then this camera will not allow that.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
It's ok. But at that price u can go with a canon 50d or 60d. Those are a lot better and cost pretty much about that price... Your gonna get way better pic quality.

Thirty shoots with the 50d, I'm sure he's gonna comment on that soon. It's a great camera.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: