marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0

Because it gives you more control over exposure and possibly more accurate focussing. A simple example is that it allows you to shoot at lower ISO and/or shutter speed and/or smaller apertures for greater depth of field. Larger depth of field means more in focus, which means slower shutter speed...which means a tripod to reduce camera shake because not only is your image magnified, your camera's movement is magnified too.

Last edited:

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Because it gives you more control over exposure and possibly more accurate focussing. A simple example is that it allows you to shoot at lower ISO and/or shutter speed and/or smaller apertures for greater depth of field. Larger depth of field means more in focus, which means slower shutter speed...which means a tripod to reduce camera shake because not only is your image magnified, your camera's movement is magnified too.

I understand all that but why couldn't you get a great shot without a tripod? our tank has tons of lights no? unless shooting moonlight. I thought LIGHTING is the key! understanding ISO, aperture, shutter speed and your camera is a MUST to get good shots.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Lighting is not the key. The key is to get all the settings to work together for correct exposure!!!! Don't forget white balance!!
I understand all that but why couldn't you get a great shot without a tripod? our tank has tons of lights no? unless shooting moonlight. I thought LIGHTING is the key! understanding ISO, aperture, shutter speed and your camera is a MUST to get good shots.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
no tripod

took this just now, may not be the best shot but its close enough that you can see it without much or any blur. (1/160, f8.0 , ISO3200)

Attachments

• IMG_7406.jpg
    IMG_7406.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 156

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
our tank should b easier to shoot coz it has same lighting, out door is totally difference changes every second.

here r some shoots not great but at least I'm please with it.....

100mm none IS(image stabilizer), ISO 400, F/4, Shutter 1/60 with flash
26a48f63.jpg

100mm none IS, F/4, ISO 400, shutter 1/60 with flash
84002c24.jpg

100mm IS, ISO 100, shutter speed 1/100, F/2.8
4895318830_f7d72d365f_b.jpg

100mm IS, ISO 1600, Shutter speed 1/100, F/2.8
4904786684_99503975e0_b.jpg

100mm IS, ISO 500, shutter speed 1/8000, F/2.8
d1bb4c0d.jpg

post crop for closer view
aaf23b76.jpg

50mm, ISO 800, shutter 1/60, F/1.4
this shot just to show a big aperture can give an image a nice BOKEH.
ecd57657.jpg

IMO if you're planing to shoot tank picture for web use no need to buy a macro lens spent the $$$ on classes. read your camera manual, understand ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture!

BTW none of these shoot with a tripod.

Last edited:

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Steve nice shots. Obviously all those shots expect number two you would have not used a tripod for it would be impossible. But if you would have used a tripod on number 2 you would have gotten a better "crisp" picture. :)

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Steve nice shots. Obviously all those shots expect number two you would have not used a tripod for it would be impossible. But if you would have used a tripod on number 2 you would have gotten a better "crisp" picture. :)

Thx marki! there are ways to keep your cam steady. most of time when I shoot my tank I hold the lens with my left hand and push it against the tank and lean my elbows on something. dont get me wrong tripod r good but some times just pain in the butt. I try to avoid it when ever if I can.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: