thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well the IS is always better. But if you plan on taking just tank shots, then the non-is is fine since you will most likely use a tripod. If you plan on using the lens to take other photos and stuff then the IS is helpful.

olivier

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
+1 on thrity5 comment.

normally with macro, you set the camera on tripod so not much of Image Stablize needed. however, if you plan to use the lens with handheld portrait, or general use, IS always a benefit.

anyone with macro shooting style always has extension tube. i have it. i use macro lens as well and add extension tube to get larger than life size.
extension tube add on will causing lost of light fall into the sensor. this can compensate by increase your ISO.
Olivier

Last edited:

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Make sure you get a good tripod like Gitzo or Manfrotto. Tripods is something you should go cheap with. Just like most things in photography get it better than changing it later for the better.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
You will never get great results by using a macro lense and no tripod. the two must go together.

Total BS. I hardly ever used my tripod with my 100mm macro on my old canon. I did however, have enough light in my tank to shoot at 1/250 or so, which still froze the shot. IF you don't have enough light in your tank, your camera will want to shoot either wide open (2.8 on the macro) or a long shutter speed. I can hand-hold my camera steady down to about 1/20, especially for shots where the subject is close.

Now if I could just get my fish to hold still and say "CHEESE!"

B

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
total bs. I hardly ever used my tripod with my 100mm macro on my old canon. I did however, have enough light in my tank to shoot at 1/250 or so, which still froze the shot. If you don't have enough light in your tank, your camera will want to shoot either wide open (2.8 on the macro) or a long shutter speed. I can hand-hold my camera steady down to about 1/20, especially for shots where the subject is close.

Now if i could just get my fish to hold still and say "cheese!"

b
+1

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Total BS. I hardly ever used my tripod with my 100mm macro on my old canon. I did however, have enough light in my tank to shoot at 1/250 or so, which still froze the shot. IF you don't have enough light in your tank, your camera will want to shoot either wide open (2.8 on the macro) or a long shutter speed. I can hand-hold my camera steady down to about 1/20, especially for shots where the subject is close.

Now if I could just get my fish to hold still and say "CHEESE!"

B

got any pictures?

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
You dont need the tripod for good photos with a macro. But some like to use it, i use it sometimes but not all the time. Its hard trying to chase a fish for pic when you have a tripod attached...

Try it and you will see. Just speed up your shutter...

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
F stop really has nothing to do with it. The f stop is what the sperture reading are. They control how much light gets through. Shooting manual is really the only way to do it. Then you can control which focusing point the camera will use. Fstp of 2.8 will make everything blurry that is not what you focused on. I would stick with about 7.1 - 8. Then yo need to slow shutter speed to get the right exposure. Yo can also raise the ISO. Ut that will give you grainy pics. ISO 100 will give you the best clarity when everything else is done correctly

One question, what do you do when you want to focus on the coral behind another coral? What do you set you f stop to? 2.8?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
The higher the f-stop, the more ?in focus? your picture is. A low f-stop (ex. 2.8) allows more light it, but will have less of your photo in focus. A high f-stop (ex. 22) will let in less light, but will have more of your photo in focus. For pictures where only the subject is sharp, you?ll want to set your AP mode to the lowest number your camera allows. On mine, that is 2.8 (or f/2.8). FYI, when you use the lowest f-stop, your shutter speed will be at its fastest. As you increase the f-stop to higher numbers, the shutter will take longer to open and close, and you may end up with a blurry image if you move the camera too soon after depressing the shutter button.

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
You dont need the tripod for good photos with a macro. But some like to use it, i use it sometimes but not all the time. Its hard trying to chase a fish for pic when you have a tripod attached...

Try it and you will see. Just speed up your shutter...

I wasn't referring to macro fish photography but macro coral photography.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: