lindsay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this coral on the back of a Zoa colony it was about 1cm across and has grown quite a lot but is not yet full grown.I have given it to a friend with a lps set up and thought it was a Fungia but after research he thinks its possibly a Slipper coral,what do you guys think?.

Pic1_S.jpg

Pic2_M.jpg

Pic5_M.jpg

Pic3_S.jpg

Pic4_M.jpg

lindsay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bubble tip anemone to me. Very pretty, but packs a powerful sting. Be careful what coral it gets placed next to.
Looking at the pictures above would suggest an anemone and it was my first thought when i discovered it when it was much smaller but it has a flat roundish skeleton that is similar to a plate coral.
Looking at the tentacles in the macro shots they seem to split into two which is why the friend its going to thinks it may be a small slipper coral but we are not sure about it.
Thanks for the reply

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Thanks for the replies,i too think its a Fungia but this is the first time i have come across one attached to a piece of dead coral so i did a bit of digging a while back and came up with this link,is this the same link prattreef?

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/03/orange-fungia-plate-coral/

then the guy who will be taking the coral came up with this

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/01/12/red-disc-slipper-coral/

This is one of the ways fungia reproduce. If the parent coral dies, after a while (6 months in the case of my fungia) small clones (anthocauli) begin to bud from the dead skeleton.

lindsay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies,the coral went to its new home today and i'm hoping there will be more pics to follow as it grows,now i have just the one which is a darker green and only about 1 cm in size.
If it does well i will try to get a picture when its a bit bigger.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: