ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Does anyone have any tips for taking pics under LEDs.

I finally got a couple of frags worth taking a pic of (lol) that would like to share with the ppl in MR. The problem I'm having is that my pics are way too blue.

I have messed around with the white balance but can't produce a pic close to representing what I see.

I attached one of the pics I took. I only got it look like this after some post processing in LightRoom. But this is a lot of work to even get the pic look like that.

Camera: Canon 7D with 24-70mm 2.8L lense.
Pic was taken with a tripod and semi-clean aquarium glass.

Any guidance is truly appreciated.

Attachments

• Utter Chaos 10312013-1.jpg
    Utter Chaos 10312013-1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 263

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It looks like I deleted the original file. But here is another pic I took during the series.

No editing done to this other than just resizing to load to MR.

As you mentioned, in lightroom i turned the blue way down and up the exposure to make the picture brighter.

I have not tried taking a pic with the blue and UV off. Btw my light fixture is an AI Hydra if that matters at all.

Attachments

• UC-Temp-1.jpg
    UC-Temp-1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 252

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Can you post the original picture unedited? It is tough under led unless you turn the blue way down or off.

Not all the time, You have to turen your whites up almost all the way maybe 15%blue at max with marco mode. it will take you a few trys with adjustments with the lighting when you take some photos. Took me a long time to figure out what percent to use. Now i got the hang of it alittle till i get a really really nice camera. i use my girlfriends that i got her for X-mass 2 years ago.

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I just thought of something . . maybe i can "diffuse" the light source . . so i placed a piece of white paper over (above water of course) the piece I want to take a picture of . . and snapped a few shots.

Here are the same images.

1st one is with no post processing. Straight from the camera and image is just cropped. Notice the blue is not as deep as the first pic. Also notice that the sand actually looks kinda white.

2nd pic is the same pic with the blue toned down in lightroom. This image is a lot closer to the color representation of these pieces to my eyes.

These were sold to me as Utter Chaos and Rastas. So if you have these corals please chime in if the color of the image is similar to what you see from you tank.

Attachments

• UC-Temp-2.jpg
    UC-Temp-2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 191
  • UC-Temp-3.jpg
    UC-Temp-3.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: